1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Rust never ends

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lilweeds, Nov 26, 2011.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

2006 3500 dump. First the trans cooler line rust out (4th set the others leaked at the crimp), now I'm doing a complete brake job and trying to free up the parking brake shoes and what do I need? Backing plates are toast.

I really don't get it. I Fluid film, I wash, I take care of my stuff. My 99 Suburban looks better underneath then the 06.

Has anyone used the Dorman backing plates? If so if I read it correct they come in pairs?
  2. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I feel ya man I replaced the tranny lines on my truck over the summer its the nature of the beast
  3. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Gm builds crap and dosent stand behind the junk they make. I found that out when the duramax belw up 63,000 1/2 year out of in service date and told sorry. "F" GM I never plan to own another.
  4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Merchant Automotive makes trans line kit that is way better than the GM ones. I plan on upgrading mine eventually. Mine are not leaking which surprises me. The dorman parts that I have gotten have all been good. My dads 04 looks like it is only a few years old underneath. He does take care of it but I would have thought that with the salt they use here it would look a lot worse.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Wait till you get to the parking brake levers, they are most likely frozen as well. You have to open the differential etc. I paid to have it done on one truck $ 1200 job.
  6. lilweeds

The levers are frozen. Currently in a vinegar bath.
  7. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Auto fluid and blaster are a pretty good combo too.
  8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

just bought a 05 z71 with 71k on it and jut painted the bottom of doors and part of tailgate.
  9. lilweeds

I had my trans lines done at a local shop. Pricey, but should last for ever. If it's an LBZ I can get them made for around $550. I think the LMM and the on prior should be the same.
  10. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

When I sold my 04 HD 2500 the buyer asked "Was this truck in the ocean ?" !

It was that rusty underneath:
    I did brake lines, tranny lines, fuel lines, power steering pump, alt, water pump, fan clutch, battery, starter, wiper transmission, emergency brake lines, all between 100,000 & 104,000 within 1 year ...

Drive Tran was 100 % solid ...
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've only got 40,000 on my truck and I've replaced Oil cooler lines, fuel lines and brake lines.

Just the nature of the beast. No amount of TLC will guard against a truck that (in my case) will throw 60 tons of salt in a season, and not to mention driving around in it.

The original undercoating is coming off the frame now, so next year I'm thinking about taking it to an undercoating shop to have it re-done. That will probably give me another good 5-6 years before have to sandblast and paint it.

I will also iterate, for everyone that has any oil cooler lines going from the motor to the radiator, check them over real good. Mine rotted on the metal ends next to the motor. It's a great feeling when you all the sudden see your oil pressure drop while at speed going down the road. Luckily I got the truck shut off right away and did a lab check on the oil that was left it it came back good.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dont forget to mention the oil dipstick tubes on the 6.0s as well. Always nice to see that theres no oil on the stick, cause it didnt go into the pan!!!!!!!
  13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

The trans cooler lines on the chevy's have been a known issue. Mine leaked first year i had it. Replaced under warranty, but now one started leaking again. I think i'll eventually do the merchant Automotive upgrade like mossman mentioned. As far as rust underneath, I get my truck sprayed with oil or FF before every winter. Looks brand new still.
  14. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

rusty what the.,.

wow, you say you had rusted out brake backing plates...mines are oringal g.m 's 36 years old...i been saying the real story is.....there building new vehicles with very inferior low grade bottom dollar steel..that rots out quicky..so they sell you another vehicle...aka bic lighter=disposible (the Bic Lighter motor vehicle corp.)..LOL.juss.my2cents
  15. Cosmic Charlie

That was mine also ...

So I added 2 quarts (DOPE), then I figured it out, and went for a oil change ...
  16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I used Dorman split backing plates on my 1500. They were sold individually. It took a frustrating amount of time and jiggling things around to figure out how to get them into position, but it beat the hell out of taking the axle apart.
  17. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Perhaps you chevy guys should look into installing a sacrificial anode. Rust and corrosion are an electro-chemical reaction.
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Do those work? I've seen a couple on-line that were power units and the sacrificial anode.

But I know it's not like the ocean where you get the electron current through the water, so I wasn't sure if the powered units worked or not.

19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

When is the last time you saw a really rotted out lincoln? Most have had a powered Anode since the early 80's.
  20. Cosmic Charlie

How / Where ? Explain Please