1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The right truck.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eggy, Oct 13, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy Member

I do realize we talk about this subjest a lot, however I am running into a sitution on the purchase of a truck for snow removel. We have been handling lawn care of commercial accounts for 4 years and it seems in order to get some lawn mowing contracts snow removel is needed to. The problem here is very few snowfalls, appx 3 tops. Looking at snow falls no greater then 5 inches the last four years in southerrn Indiana. What I am looking at is the purchase of either a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton, the price difference is about $2500.00 Some might say this isnt much of a price difference but when you take it over a four year outlined plan to see profit with only 2-3 snow falls it can eat into a small net profit we would like to see from snow. What pros and cons do you see for us??? Would a half ton work for this application or would a 3/4 ton be more fitting? Thanks eggy

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

It seems to me with your local snowfalls being so low, a 1/2 ton would suit you fine if you don't have use for the extra capacity on a year round basis. I have a 1/2 ton Chevy and it plowed for a municipality before I owned it.

Maybe you want to buy a used plow truck? It seems extreme to buy a $20,000 plus truck to use three times a year. Eventhough you can use the truck the rest of the year, a 4x4 is more costly to fuel and operate. It is all food for thought.

3. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

What are your current vehicles for doing the lawn cutting at the places? I am sure you have some form of truck for pulling your trailers. Couldn't you just put a plow on that? If it is 2WD can't you just stick a sander on the back for the added traction?

4. eggy

eggy Member

They are 1/2ton 2wd...that I dont think would work..of course I am unsure....

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I, would go the 3/4 route. Not only will it hold up better for plowing it will hold more weight in the back and will be able to pull more weight than a 1/2 ton.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you need an additional truck for your lawn work as well, or is this a purchase being made with only "snow work" in mind?

If you don't need another truck for the lawn care side of things, you may want to consider going 3/4 ton 4x4 and then selling one of the 1/2 ton trucks you currently use for lawn work.

3/4 ton, IMO, is a better choice for both plowing AND towing. Selling one of the 1/2 tons would offset the price difference you mention.

If on the other hand it's strictly a plow truck you're looking for, you may want to look in the used market. Mind you, I don't know how much of a "used market" there is in your area since you don't see as much snow as I do! (Around here, used (often abused!) trucks with plows are readily available)

With regard to using a 2wd to plow with, it can be done (I do) but I wouldn't reccomend using a 1/2 ton. Mine is a C-35 dually, most of the 2wd plow trucks tend to be 1-ton and up units, often with dump bodies. You need the weight for traction, a 1/2 ton can't be ballasted down that much.

Just a couple thoughts on the subject!

7. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I used to have a 3/4 ton truck. blew out a front u-joint durning a storm. I put the truck in 2wd and unlocked the front hubs.. Loaded the back up as full as I could with snow, and still did was not able to push much snow.... it was okay to clear several passes in a lot but not much more. At the same time I owned a 1 ton ford 2wd (dooley) with a sander in the back. That truck was almost as good as my 1 ton 4x4 on the flat and level...

8. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

f-250 4x4 powerstroke

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I get to put in my .02 cents worth, too. Don't use a 1/2 ton 2wd if you have anything other than level, flat asphalt with no more than 2-3" of nice, fluffy snow and good tires. You will get stuck sometime, even with ballast. The 1/2ton can't handle the weight of most sanders, let alone put any sand in it.

10. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

the right truck

I too live in Indiana ,I tried to save $$ when I replaced a worn out 1 ton truck. I mounted a plow on a 1996 1/2 ton 4X4, thought it could handel it. It did for 2 years, then the front end went, Had to put a lot of unwanted repairs into it just to trade it off. I replaced it with a 3/4 ton with factory plow kit, and it seems to be holding up much better than the 1/2 ton. I truley beleive that if you are going to plow snow of any depth you should have the right truck built for it. Good Luck.

11. eggy

eggy Member

Many Many thanks for the responses....it sounds like a 3/4 ton for about 2500.00 more is going to be the right choice...it will probably command 2500.00 more come resale time ....

12. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Eggy - just wondering if this truck is going to be an addition to the fleet or replace one of the other trucks.

13. eggy

eggy Member

There is only one other truck and this will be in use day in day out and my personal ride as well.........This will be the primary truck.

14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have the truck decision made :cool: - now you just have to decide on the plow!

Keep us posted! :)