1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the redneck way to move a plow...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grn Mtn, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

So we finally get a nice break in the weather for spring clean-ups, customers are calling wanting to know when I'll be out, Friday I say...then I remember my plow is in-front of my backyard gate and the trailer is behind the backyard gate, AND my truck is still being fixed from this winters little reck. Crap I only have right now to move it, what to do:confused: Then I get the craziest of idea's that just might work, and it didwesport Here is the pict:

plowMoving_redneckStyle.jpg

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, lol Btw, if your truck is in the shop, what are you planning on pulling your trailer with? Going to put a ball on the handcart and start walking? lol

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Yee haaaw good buddy!
    Hey it worked right? lol

4. Grn Mtn

The trailer was pulled by another truck without a plow mount, can you believe it:D
    lol about the ball on the dolley though.

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Last friday I stoped into a garage to have a couple of tires put on rimes, while I was waiting I noticed a hand dolly with a ball on it so I asked what it was for and a worker said they use it to move around U Haul trailers they rent, no matter how big the trailer, they still use the dolly.

6. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Not a bad idea...when will the dodge be back?

7. Grn Mtn

don't even get me started, I'm not mad at the body shop but my insurance yet again. Today I had to return the rental truck because my $1000 rental cap got hit. Actually after tax I had to pay $13 bucks:angry: The best part is I won't have a vehicle till Friday, AAUGH! I called in a favor to a buddy I helped this winter to see if I could borrow one of his 4 trucks so I can continue business. What a pain in my ass. Okay I'm gonna shut up now before I blow a retna:eek:

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I know what happened to your truck but I do not know your whole situation so I am not judging you. However I think it is imperative in this type of business to have a backup vehicle. Even showing up in an old clunker is better then not showing up at all. At least you still satisfy your commitments.

It was good that you were able to borow a truck, so you can keep going, but if/when I could, I would pick up a spare. For $3-5000 you can get a running plow truck. Might not look great but it will work.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The backup truck is a great idea, but it is costly. Not just the upfront cost of $3500 to $7500 for a good running plow truck, but then there are all the state registartion, insurance, and everyone knows all the other stuff. Also, a backup truck will sit a lot, so there would be more time and money in parts. With my insurance being $2600 a year, I can't afford another truck. Anyway, back on topic. I hope everything works out for you GRN MTN. You just have the worst luck. Was the plow heavy or did it move pretty well? I would have just chained and yanked it (not recommended!).

10. Grn Mtn

not an option, 1) no vehicle to chain and yank at the time , 2) plow needed to go up to garage so I could sneek trailer out . here is an over simplified drawing... oh and yes it was heavy, but jack is old and driveway sucks.

First time out, you'll get a kick out of this, So I get back from dropping the truck off at the rental place and say, I have nothing better to do why not paint the front fence....20' into it and it starts to rain:dizzy: the weather forecast this morning said rain for this EVENING, I didn't think that ment 3pm.

Flipper, I have two other threads that go into detail about my accident and its repair, long and short of it is I didn't need a backup truck because I thought I had coverage for this type of thing...

untitled.JPG

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I got that you thought you were covered for an accident.

I had the backup for every other reason. Say you come out in the morning and the truck won't start, has multiple flats, has a tranny problem, has scheduled service etc. I agree that it is more then the upfront costs but some of this can be handled. When my backup was just a backup, I had a mileage writer on it. I saved basically half its insurance because it seldom was used. Kept a battery monitor on it and ran it once a week. Saved me plenty of times when newer trucks (multiple brands) took a dump and were offline for repair. Well worth the small BUSINESS expense that they present. Just another asset and worth more then it costs in peace of mind.

Now I run multiple trucks so I have repetition from them as it is.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I had a feeling that is what was needed. Good strategy! Don't you love it when whether forcasters are wrong?