1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The red wire

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tasbm5, Mar 4, 2012.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hi all, I just bought a Ld plow for my 04 Dakota. After getting pricing on an install at the local plow shop i figure i'll take a stab at it myself.My question is the red wire that powers up the fish stick would it be ok to plug directly in to the radio fuse that's 20 amp or use an inline fuse first and if so what amp should the inline fuse be ?
    Thanks in advance Terry...

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Best bet is to use an Add A Fuse like this.

add a fuse.jpg

Use a circuit that is hot with Key On, such as ignition, fan, wiper, etc.

The book should tell you what size fuse, but I'm guessing 10 amps is more than enough.

add a fuse.jpg

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same fuse setup as posted above.Mine is tapped into my cruise control a key on accessory

4. Pcarrier0927

Pcarrier0927 Junior Member

Hey guys, im about to install all the wiring for my minute mount 1 on my 97 ram 1500 and was also wondering where to wire the red wire coming off the joystick. I heard maybe wiring it to the radio, ive heard many places to wire it but I really want the best place for it. The person I bought it from said to wire it to the fuse box but who knows if that will harm my truck and the joystick.
    Thank you for your time hope to hear from you guys soon.

5. chevyzrule810

you need to connect it to a power source that is key on,so when you take the key out of the ignition it doesn't send power to the plow.Mine for example is the cruise control fuse.I removed the fuse from there installed it in the add a fuse holder pictured above along with a 10 amp fuse and installed the add a fuse where the cruise control fuse was.If you want to use your radio as the power source thats fine just remember it has to be something key on.

6. Pcarrier0927

Pcarrier0927 Junior Member

Red wire

Okay great thank you, i have a stock stereo so where would I tie in the red wire to the radio. The red wire already has a fuse on it so dont have to worry about that.
    Also I took a picture of a couple wire that are with the harness that goes to the joystick control. the picture shows like 3 different orange wires. Where do I wire these?
    They look like they might go straight to the battery with maybe one negative?
    If anybody has any suggestions that would be great
    thanks again!
    P.S I attached the picture hope you can open it!

fisher.JPG

7. chevyzrule810

You don't tie the red wire into the radio.Your fuse box inside the truck has some fuses.Find the radio fuse.Remove the radio fuse and plug it into the add a fuse along with another 10 amp fuse.Plug that into where you took out the radio fuse.You will have power to the radio and plow now.

8. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Thankyou fine sirs for all the helpful advice.

Terry