1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Real Cost of Wood Stakes

Discussion in 'Discount Snow Stakes' started by DiscountSnowStakes, Sep 17, 2012.

1. DiscountSnowStakes

DiscountSnowStakes Senior Member
    from Boston

I talk to contractors every day and go over the benefits of fiberglass snow stakes over wood snow markers. We polled our snow stake customers to get some general figures on what the cost is of fiberglass vs wood stakes, heres what we found

http://www.discountsnowstakes.com/

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Any fiberglass stake I've ever seen is usually so faded after one or two seasons at most, it has lost it's value. What kind of fading do you see with your stakes? Is there a guarantee?

3. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

fading

see, thats the thing no one at parties wants to talk about... the grade of fiberglass is extremely important. i have customers call me all the time and tell me they found a snow stake for $.01 cheaper... well, good work, but the fiberglass grade is low, which simply means it will fade quicker and not be as durable.

honestly, we have been in business over 5 years, when we were ready to ship out our very first batch of snow stakes, we took 15 out of the bundle and planted them in front of our business, today, they all stand there, one is faded, the rest our orange gold... TRUE STORY

some of our stakes, along with everybody else's, will in fact fade, know what though? wood looks terrible, there is no reflective value at night, and very few make it to the next season

call us 866-938-0922

http://discountsnowstakes.com/

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I have seen many wooden markers that get broken off leaving a sharp point. Then it gets covered in snow. Then next tire gets a huge puncture. We all love changing tires at 4 in the morning when we need to be plowing.

Fiberglass does fade. I've been thinking about painting some that are still in good shape otherwise.

5. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

wood stakes = rotary phones!

if you need a low cost replacement, get our plain stakes... $.75 http://discountsnowstakes.com/products/4_Ft_Plain_Snow_Stakes-11-1.html

and yes, when wood stakes brake off they can be dangerous and cost you time if the flatten a tire

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you putting stakes where they get run over? Isn't the idea to stay inside the markers? Just my .02

7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Once the wooden stake gets broken off, there is no marker there. We have a lot of places here where the markers are not in a straight line. If one of them gets hit by who knows who, it can jab a big hole in a $220 tire.

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thank you for the info.

I received a flyer in the mail recently for a discount for SIMA members but the code is not working and of course I cannot find the flyer now. It was for $50. Can you help with this??

9. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

call me 8669380922

give us a call, we'll figure it out 866-938-0922

10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Somebody called me and I've placed an order. Thanks for your help.

11. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I am thinking about picking up a some in a week or two. I acquired a few more driveways this season due to a friend getting out of the field. Stuck between the plains and reflectors.

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I have received my order and love the reflectors. They stand out from quite a distant!

13. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

obviously a significant difference in pricing, but the reflective tape is the biggest attribute i think. give me a call we will discuss - chris 8669380922

14. DieselSlug

I will give you a call in a week or two, just paid my insurance so i dont have the extra cash till payday next friday. But i am definately interested! Im just worried these new drives i got i really dont know the people all that well and dont want to get the premium stakes to not have them returned at the end of the season so i can reuse them, with the cheaper ones i wouldnt feel as bad, but still be asking questions. The way i feel it is they arent the customers, they are just "borrowing" them.

15. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

as long as you are aggressive at the end of the season, you will retain a ton of them. a few will break, a few people will "borrow" them, but you will get most back. let me know when you are ready to order.

16. DieselSlug

Just ordered 60 of the plain ones! If i keep getting these people and come to know them better ill replace any lost/broken with the nicer taped ones.

I also told my boss about this site and he ordered 20 or so 5' stakes last week. I unpackaged them the other day! Going to put them around our building this afternoon.

17. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Just put my order in...

18. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

yo

great, thanks for ordering, take some pics once the property is staked and ill put them up on our blog with your company name

19. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

shipping out today

thanks for the order mike, gets to pa quick