1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The real 1/2 ton issue!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I see everyone saying that manufacturers recommend certain plows for different vehicles and such. What happens when I buy the "Recommended" plow and cook my tranny. When Chevy tells me to pound sand and buy a real truck, will Fisher or Blizzard buy me a new tranny? Has anyone had any warranty (Plow Related) issues with there half tons? I have decided to wait until next year to do this, but might be upgrading the rig.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps you could put this on my thread and we can keep the discussion all in one. Make it simpler.

SNOWPIMP Member

My neighbor Manages a tire/service garage and he tells me there is a new law that says dealers can not sell a half-ton truck with a plow on it! Has anyone else ever heard this? To me it kind of makes sense I always run at least a 3/4 ton of my own! I have driven other people's half tons and felt completely under braked and thought the front end would snap at any moment!
  4. Bolts Indus.

I suggest those 1/2 tons were improperly equiped. As far as a law. Never heard of it. May be a vehicle dealer rule because some vehicle dealers may not have the knowledge about the brands of plows and would get in some trouble.
  5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

chevy 1500 with plow pacage comes with plow.they come factory to the dealer with fischer.if the dealer does it they put on a meyers plow
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

You can cook a transmission on any size truck. It has a whole lot to do with driver skill. Its a truck , not a barrering ram. You try to plow too much snow you will smoke the trans, it could be a half ton , it could be a superduty . Most warrantys wont cover abuse .
    The definition of abuse is what you will be arguing with a dealer .
    If you plow snow long enough you WILL break something .
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

GM, FORD, DODGE, sell trucks. They don't sell plows. Never did (that I know of) and probably, due to liability, never will.

Have you seen a plow drive off the car carrier with a FisHer or Meyer plow? No, they're put on either by a local plow distributer or the dealership itself.
  8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ive seen plenty of half tons plow just fine. i kno 2 people you run half tons. one guy runs a 94 chevy 1200 short bed with a 7.5 fisher.and a good friend of mine runs a 1999 dodge 1500 with a 7.5 sno-way. both plow just fine:)
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

It is the plow Mfr. that decides which plow goes on
    what truck.
    They go by GVWR and also front spring capacity.

They have to cover their behind !

Ask your local XXXX plow dealer to mount a big V on a S-10,
    or a 8 footer on a Tundra.
    They will laugh you out the door !

Now the truck mfr. and dealer.............

Unless the truck has FACTORY plow prep. pkg. you will
    be denied ANY warranty work related to plow related
    breakage or they VOID your whole warranty!

Some dealers are different tho. esp. if they sell you the
    truck with a dealer installed plow....Then they let it slide
    in most cases !

Been there DONE that !................geo
  10. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

11. Bolts Indus.

The old Dodge ( Power Wagons ) trucks were bulldozers. That was then. This is now. Things have changed, products have changed. Fisher who once owned the market now sees a lot of competition from a lot of company's who also make just as good or better a product. Time does not stand still. LEAD don't follow.
  12. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Our local Dodge dealer has 3/4 and 1 ton trucks sitting on the lot with westerns and bosses. I even saw them plowing with one that was on the lot:D The Ford dealer across the street has Boss. As long as you have factory plow prep, and the plow you decide to run is OK with your dealer, your dealer should honor the contract. Wouldn't hurt to get it in writing though.

Also, Dodge has an incentive right now where you get $1000 towards a plow if you show proof of owning your own business. Pretty nice:D
  13. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I bought a F150 in August and put a 7 1/2' Curtis on it with timbrens. I only got to plow a few times with it till I traded it in this week on a F250 but it handled the plow fine. As a matter of fact, I don't think the 150 dropped as much as the 250 when I picked up the plow. Maybe because of the lighter engine(4.2 vs. 5.4). There may be a difference down the road in wear and tear and repairs. The reason I swapped is my situation has changed and I am towing over the limits on the F150 on a regular basis. It handled it ok but again, wear and tear and future tradein value gave me an excuse to trade now. Plus, the dealer had the F250 set up for a Curtis plow already.
  14. Bolts Indus.

One of the best plow trucks I ever had was a 88 Toyota 4 runner. 4 cyl. 5 speed. Plowed commercial with 7' blade. She would realy push. Never broke a thing and that is still running for someone else. So a half ton with a 7'6" LT should be just better. Right truck, right size and weight blade. Of course the best option on the vehicle you could add is a good driver.
  15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I suggest getting a transmission temp gauge and cooler if needed. I'm gonna get a gauge for mine, mainly for when I'm towing this summer.
  16. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I definitely agree with having a trans temp gauge. I know I wouldn't be without one in my truck.
  17. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I belive all the problems with a half ton has to do with the rating of the front axel.I have plowed win an f150 exstended cab short wheel base and had to run with alot of ballast in it to be safe.

Ill share a story my f150 with plow up no rear ballast on a slight incline on a slippery surface.(a little ice) Anyways I got out of the truck smlammed the door and the rear of the truck slid till it hit dry ground.I was runnning a 7.5 western uni mount that when I decided ballast always goes in first then the plow goes on.

Never had a problem with nothing else on this truck with this plow except it needed ballast to have proper weight balance front to back.

I am a big beliver in balast regaurdless of the size truck you have to properly load the rear wheels for braking
  18. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I know that our local Hiniker/Blizzard dealer and also the Western dealer WILL NOT mount plows on 1/2 tons, Jeeps or LD 3/4 tons. The owner of the Hiniker/Blizzard dealership is a member of our ATV club so I see him 1-2 times a month. He was telling me that he will only mount plows on trucks with a GVW of 8500 lbs or bigger, so that excludes the F-150 7700 (LD F-250) and the older Chevy/GMC's that were "3/4 tons" but only had a the six bolt wheels.

So you can take it for what you want. This is just what the dealers around here are doing.
  19. acornish

acornish Senior Member

gm has also offered packages in the past with factory plows-- i know this cause of my blazer which before me belonged to my ex boss-- me and him were at the dealer when it came off the truck with the plow on it