1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The PowerWagon playin!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 11, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

We got 6" Thursday afternoon/evening. dropped the blade at 8pm, pushed all night long and all Friday. Friday morning 3 am solenoid went out on the SnoWay. I had no spare and neither did any of my buddy's who were out pushing.. drove to Franklin (normally 35 minute drive or so in dry conditions @ 60 mph) to a shop up there to get a new one. Got up there and found out the guy was not there even though its 24 hr service.. he had went to eat, so he made me wait 35 minutes till he got back. So got that and came back and pushed all day Friday till 10:30 I was sooo tired I was dozing at jobsites and had to call a friend to ramble and ask questions and talk to me so I could drive home. Got up Saturday morning dropped blade at 8 and pushed till 4:30 in the afternoon I got 'er done! My phone was ringing off the hook Thursday and Friday for estimates. Got a few one time jobs and several new contracts.
    The SnoWay with wings works great. The SuperSwampers work great. The truck works great. The rear plow I built works great but needs some things changed, thats OK thats how I planned to do it, use it and see what needs changed till i get it right. The spreader I got Thursday morning I got up at 5 and drove 130 miles to get it from another PS member in Ohio. I got a bracket built for it to clear the rear blade. Then the control box doesn't work on it so I had to rig an off/on switch. But the spreader works fine.

I'm very pleased with how well everything worked and that I had no major breakdowns or problems. I have a plugged vent hose for the gas filler tube or something won't let me fill it over 1/2 or 5/8 tank so needless to say I stopped for gas probably around a dozen times during this storm LOL.

And made some money too

Happy White Gold Harvest to all!!!!

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I just got back in the truck put it in gear (even with both blades full and down pressure engaged on both) and took off, the ol' girl usually doesn't need a run at it to get started again, and i never locked the transfer case the whole storm. What a great truck!

Plus when was the last time you saw a plowtruck squat more in the rear than the front? LOL yeah she holds a lot of weight. Stock suspension NO TIMBRENS! only 3" body lift and 37x12.50 SSR's. Never got stuck, only got hung up once I was stacking way too high but I wiggled out of it. This truck did alot of things I know more "stock" pickups couldn't do with wussy street tires and no clearance. I was first concerned how the SSR's would do in the snow and ice but they are doing very well on the snow at least, the real ice hasn't set in yet probaby will today.

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

These pics were at my church I plowed yesterday. Had about 5 hrs on the clock at this one! Its a big lot. This section I had to double scrape it was kinda deep and I was using the down pressure but there was packed stuff under it from kids doing donuts back there, and that its a lower side that melts and freezes on the surface, so I did this side first then did the rest then came back and scraped up the slush here after the sun did its thing.
    Notice the minimal overlap and minimal spillage with the ProWings!!!!!!!
    The mud in the last pic on the truck was where a friend was with me (he is custodian at church he went to lunch with me) we got back and were playin in the back of the lot, were stacking at an angle to the windrow of stacks piled at the edge of the lot, I wasn't really stacking but I was in/over the stack LOL... I got that front pass. tire about 2.5' down in the snow... we were prepared to shovel out or go get the church bus (he drives it anyway) but I did lock the t-case here and it got out... This thing is un-stuckable..
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Last one for now.....
    Thanks for looking.

:cool: payup :nod:

5. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

awseome pics and a very impressive sett up, so glad to hear all your fabrication worked as planed and it sounds like things cooperated enough to make some good money, congrats on some nice work
  6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks DirtWerx. Well I did learn the weak points in the back plow... So I'll be working on beefing that up this afternoon. And, where I had the lift ram placed, it was too sloooowww... so I cut, moved, and rewelded the bar where it mounts to the blade. That helped some. The spreader mount works fine but I want to reinforce it more too. I don't like it being up that high but it doesn't matter really, you gotta get in the bed of the truck to fill it anyhow... it does stick up a little taller than the cab but only a few inches.
  7. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

What in the world are you using for a alternator!!?? A Coleman Generator? Can't believe all those lights don't kill your whole wiring system...nice rig!
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks Repo... actually using the stock alternator :( LOL @ the generator comment. I am looking for a BIG alternator and dual batteries... I think I'm going to just try dual batteries and see how that helps (it would give enough reserve power to help alot). If that doesn't do it, a larger alternator should do the trick. It kills the alternator but i only had a lack of juice issue at one place, where there was a lot of maneuvering & up & down, back and forth, otherwise I had OK power.

Oh, when plowing, I usually turn on just the park lamps of the truck, then I use the front facing floodlights on the light rack. The rear facing floodlamps I can turn on, off, or on when in reverse, so I just leave it in backup mode, so they're not on all the time. The rotator bar takes almost no juice at all. I keep the amps on the stereo turned down all the way as those are monster power hogs if cranked. The strobes I don't use unless theres alot of people around and I want them to keep their distance.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  9. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Great truck

Wonderfull looking truck. It is very close to the set up I am working on for next year. Older Dodge, wish I had the extended cab but I wanted a short chassis for this truck. Going with a drag plow also. I am planning on removing the bed and building a specific one for swon work.

Great truck

J & B Lawncare
  10. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Awesome, Good to hear it held up well... It really looks like a tank in the snow.

How well do you think the rear plow has/will help when doing lots? Cut any really noteable time off?

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

J&B, thanks. They make great plow trucks! I call it a "Plower" Wagon :)
    You say short wheelbase. Will this be a short bed or just a regular bed? I am keeping an eye out for a short bed, as I have a reg cab long bed 3/4 ton frame out back, would like to put this cab on there with a short bed have a ex cab s/b truck.
    So if you plan on cutting up a short bed truck I want dibs on the bed LOL.
    Is your custom bed going to be aluminum or stainless or just regular steel? I'd love to build a custom bed I have an idea what it would be like. Of course a built in winch would be in the plans as well as lots of tool storage area. I'd get a short bed 6' V-box spreader to go in it as well. Tool storage can be underneath that where the bedsides are on a pickup bed. The winch can be underneath with a cable running out the back end.

All_Clear, thanks and I agree it looks like a monster :D I was worried the length would be an issue, and in certain spots it seems too long but for as long as this setup is with the front plow, rear plow & spreader, and long wheelbase, I'm surprised that I'm not bothered by the length. The X cab is great to throw extra clothing articles in the back, stuff like that.
    As for the rear plow, If your lots are wide open there is no benefit to the plow its for tight spots, dragging out of corners, loading docks, driveways, etc. If you don't have down pressure on the front plow you would find a rear plow helpful to scrape up ice. If you do circle driveways, you'd like it also, as it will follow the inside of the circle where your front plow goes on the outside, do a circle drive in one pass. If you need to move a large volume of snow from one side of a lot to another area, its nice, fill the back plow and front one with wings at the same time, carries lotsa snow as long as you got enough truck to handle it! I didn't use the back plow much, probably only dropped it 10 times. The lift is too slow on it but I used it in the corner of a building and in a few driveways. I like the concept and its a great tool. A friend has complete electric over hydraulic setup I'm working on trying to get from him to put on it... then it will be awesome.

Thanks for the comments guys keep 'em coming.
  12. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

I've got a 77 Club Cab W150, and I agree...the 75-79 Full-Time trucks are great for plowing. Much like you, I only use Lo-Loc for getting un-stuck. I only had to shovel it out a few times on Friday...:laugh:

What axles are you runnin? I'm assuming your a 3/4 ton (44 front, Dana 60 rear)...or are you runnin' a 60 up front as well?
    When you say you're running the stock alternator....is your truck equipped witht he factory 100 ampre model, or the standard crappy little one that everything usually got? If you upgrade to a 100+ ampre model (and you have the crappy std style now), you will need to put a shunt on your amp guage, or you WILL blow it out (or just disconnect it, and bolt the 2 wires together, tape up accordingly)

got any pics of that rig in the daytime? Would love to see it.

Congrats on the rear plow setup. Sounds like it's going to work out great for you.

Mike (440trk)
  13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yours a shortbed or longbed?
    This is a W150 as well (ever notice how most parts stores have it listed as a W100? I'm not sure but I think the "150" designates club cab as the regular cabs are all 100's I beleive).
    Has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern Dana 44 front and Corporate 9.25" rear with 3.55 gears no lockers or anything. I think its the crappy little alternator. It doesnt' take much to lug it down. When I upgrade the alternator I can put in a different ammeter to accomodate I guess.
    Daytime pics- i posted some in the last couple posts there.

Thanks and want to see some pics of your truck too!!!! What plow you runnin on it? I need specs on the whole rig!!!! :D
  14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh, Mike, I see very few Dodges with this style grill/headlights. I have never seen one that was 3/4 or 1 ton that I can recall. Well I think once I saw a 3/4 ton quad headlight truck like this, it was regular cab long bed I think, W200 4x4. But other than that one truck never seen one. I don't know why this is such an uncommon headlight/grill setup. I know they only ran it a year or two, but they only ran the 77-78 style those two years and theres scads of those trucks... dunno..

My buddy at Advance Auto Parts says I can get a direct fit bolt on aftermarket alternator 114 amps for $99, plug and play model. If thats not enough I can take it to a auto electric shop and have them crank it up and get a lot more out of it. I think a 114 plus two good batteries would make it really nice. If I could find a 200 amp or at least 150, for reasonable price I think that would be cats meow.
  15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I am doing away with the electric lift on the rear plow. It was fine to experiment and see if the plow would do good for me but its too slow and cannot float like hydraulics so it doesn't contour. but has great down pressure and is strong. the concept worked well so I am setting it up with hydraulics running a 3" bore x 18" stroke dual action hydraulic cylinder run off of a high volume high pressure electric over hydraulic pump from a low rider car Gimme a week or so to get that on and setup.. i have other things going on right now too maybe starting a job at Advance auto parts for some winter income and somethign to do...
  16. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

37 incher's with the 5x4.5 hubs?!?! You are much braver than I , my friend. LOL. Be sure to grease those front hubs VERY frequently, as they typically DO NOT hold up well to big tires.

Yep, mine's a long bed as well, 400 2v, auto, Dana 44 front and 9 1/4 rear...3.55's and 31x10.50's on cop rims.
    Has a Meyer ST 90 on it since 1978 (all original plow paperwork is in the glovebox yet!)

I don't have many pic's, as the ol' gal isnt real photogenic...LOL. I'll take a few for ya though.

As for the Alternator...Say away from the high amp versions of the little stock alternator. They require 2000 engine rpm before they START to make any real output. If you ever have to idle the truck, the battery will go to discharge until the rpm's come back up.
    Look into doing a later model Denso swap, a GM alt, or one of the factory Chrysler 100 amp units (big bulky suckers, but they work great!).
    I'm currently looking into an Alt. upgrade right now. I have a new factory 100 amp model that I can install, I have the brackets...I just need to get a shunt on the amp guage, or bypass it all together. I'm sure there's a few other little items I'll have to address as well. :)
  17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

You say the 100 amp alternator would work good for me, and its NOT the one that needs 2k RPM to work is this correct? I think 100 amp would be fine, especially with dual batteries. My uncle is giving me a dual battery tray for it, he has some powerwagon parts since he used to own a yellow 79 quad headlight TrailDuster Top Hand with a 400 big block, and a 79 W200 PowerWagon I think it might have had quad headlights but I think due to a frontal hit, all my life i've only known it to have had the 77-78 grill and headlights. He also had a 76? W200 with Dana 60's front and rear, with a 440 big block it was a parts truck but could have been put back on the road with no trouble. The TrailDuster was also a parts truck that used to run but wasn't on the road really. Anyways, he doens't own any of these anymore he sold the 440 truck years ago and recently sold the W200 (rebuilt 360 w/4 bbl edelbrock 650 & orange box ignition) and the TrailDuster is gone too now. he gave me a few parts, transfer case, power steering pump and gearbox, stuff like that he took off the TD before scrapping it.

So, you have a 400 2 barrel in that W150? I was thinking it was a 440 by your name. Where are the pics you promised? :D

Yeah this truck came with 31's. Not bad power with 3.55's and 31's. I'd really like to have 33's if I can't swap gears or axles with lower gears. 33's would give me decent power and a bigger meat. oh well the 37's are ok. great tires.

I just talked to my uncle he also mentioned a GM alternator.

I started on at Advance Auto Parts today well got hired today don't start for another week or so, but hopefully i get a decent discount and it definatley will allow me better access to the parts database and such, so if i have spare minutes here and there i can lookup parts for this truck and find out what works and how much it will cost. :)
  18. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I agree, get the Dodge 100-1055 alternator. It may be big, and you'll have to fix up some brackets, but it works great and wires up in place of the little alternator. -Phillip
  19. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

If you're gonna do the GM swap(or any alt swap for that matter), I HIGHLY recommend you check out the following website. By far, THE BEST info you can find on upgrading your truck wiring to handle the higher amp alt. Read through their ENTIRE site. There is a LOT of good info

As for the "440" part of 440trk... LOL Well, that's a LONG story.
    Short version:
    I "kinda" started building a 1 ton Club Cab 440, auto powered truck a few years ago, based on a 3/4 ton Club Cab frame, NP203, and a F/R set of Dana 60's. Well, it's been on the back burner for a few years now, partly because I have since purchased the 77 W150 I mentioned above.
    Eventually, I will get the 440 truck done, but it'll be a few years, seeing as how I just bought a house last December, and I'm also restoring a 71 440 4spd Charger R/T. I got a few too many projects...:p

My current W150 is a 90k mile, mostly original truck that's been plowing all it's life. Original 400 still kickin'. Needless to say, the body is getting rough around the edges though. I'll get ya pics this weekend. It's usually dark when I get home now, so you won't see much. :laugh:.
  20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ok I will probably give that 100 amp one a try if its a direct replacement, no mods needed just bolt and plug in and play!

We don't care about bulkiness.

I want pics, long story and more info on that 440 truck sounds like a winner!! That'd be sweet! Is it to be a dually I hope? Which body style is it using?

The Charger -must see pics!!!!!! schweet you know how to make me drool!

My W150 (oh the "50" has to do with GVW not cab size I found out) had 92k original miles on it when I got it. I was told it was one owner (guy I got it from was not original owner but he never signed title either just had it around the farm) after I got it home was digging through the glovebox and original owners manual is there but so is plenty of paperwork to prove at least 3 or 4 owners were involved :mad:

Anyway it had been used some to pull a horse trailer I found out from a local shop I was at and he happened to recognize the truck and had done an axle seal and exhaust on it years ago for a previous owner, said it pulled horses :)

I'm seriously getting tired of messing around with old gas engines. They're great for simplicity of working on them, but thats what I hate.. that and 5 mpg and still 2 barrel "power" :rolleyes:

When I get the money I wanna do somethin like this in the club cab:
    Cummins 12V turned up
    mid 90's Dodge a/t o-d beefed up with Triple-Lok converter
    t-case undecided... 203 would be cool but with a Cummins you have to do burnouts, dyno's, etc. where 2wd is better LOL so maybe a beefed up 205 T-case or newer or something we'll see.
    Dana 60's F&R at least if not bigger, with 3.55 or 3.73 gears
    Top off with 35" BFG's or maybe Super Swampers or Mud Rovers...
    Probably another 4-6" suspension lift. Don't want it huge just very capable yet also street driveable with possibility to take on short trips without trouble, and halfway decent fuel mileage too.
    Ah and it'd probably just have to have twin 5" chrome stacks in the bed :D

I have a 76 3/4 ton long bed reg cab frame I might use (may have to stretch a couple inches) and try to find a shortbed to go with it.

This is my ideal project.. then one day when I get the money have the truck done up either gloss jet black, a nice red, or Dodge Patriot blue, or maybe that yellow color they have out now... really a toss up on all that! or maybe black with yellow trims and markings, add some Rumble Bee flavor to it!!! LOL..

Now lets wait see how many years it takes for me to have this much money and spare time (namely money!)