1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Posting Guidelines Have Changed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Hi Chuck :)
    I had a few questions about the new guidelines, if you could please clarify these items:

Rule 1: I found this confusing, ". . . This includes mentioning manufacturers, dealers, etc. . . ." We can't mention a manufacturer? Does this mean we are not to mention any equipment by manufacturer name, such as Western, Blizzard, Boss, Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc.? Also, ". . . You are also not permitted to include phone numbers, addresses, fax numbers, e-mail addresses, or web addresses or links in your posts, e-mail, private messages or signature lines." Does this mean we cannot post our own information? Or if someone has a question about something, for example tires (a recent thread) we are not to share any specific contact information to help direct them to where they can get further information?

Rule 2: "Links to and/or mentioning other Industry related forum sites is not permitted at PlowSite.com." Does this mean that we cannot refer to the SIMA site, snowplowing-contractors site, etc?

Rule 7: "You are not permitted to list names, phone numbers, addresses, e-mail addresses, fax numbers, post office box numbers, etc.... or any others except your own." We can't use any names???

If these rules are meant to be interpreted literally as written, it seems like it will effectively shut down most threads. I am not trying to be sarcastic, I just want to be sure I understand the rules so as to abide by them. Thank you!

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll answer Rule # 2 since that's an easy one - those 2 are OK because they are sponors of Plowsite. But not others.

Hopefully Sean or Chuck can help explain the other questions.

4. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

It seam like you do not want anyone talking about anything which is not a sponsors of this site ? I join this site to talk to other plower to see and hear what they use to get the job done. I may not post that much but I check in just about every day just to see what everyone up to .Ideas are what most of us look for here .I guess that will stop now it money talks .Just my 2 cents

5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I would like to see a reply to Plow Babe's questions.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

There is alot of new stuff and I too would like to know the answers to plow babes questions.

So if some one is looking for strob lights and you give them a site like galls that would be wrong?Or online plow parts like CPW.?:confused:

7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

From those new rules it looks like the "liberal left" has just infiltrated Plow Site.com. Whoops, I just may have broken rule #5!:nono:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was thinking like Plow Babe in the beginning. Then I read the rule #1 again and decided I wouldn't have a problem with it since I'm not "advertising" - and if I am, I want my pay for it!!! Now I thought about it again and I'm right back where I was if we can't mention manufacturers. But then, maybe I'm alright because I most generally suggest looking at Fisher equipment and they are a sponsor of PlowSite? But now I can't mention the trucks they're on. But there are Forums for all the major manufacturers.

I agree, some clarification is needed. Maybe I can mention brands, just not if I'm a representative of that brand? I would guess by the lack of response, the moderators are busy sorting this out.

I will say, I'm used to answering questions for information by posting a link to a related site, say to a part supplier. I will try not to do that any more except for the FAQ and sponsors' page. So if I do, it will be inadvertant.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would like to know too,as I also post a lot of links to mfg's and suppliers.Not to plug those sites,but to give more information to the person who posed the question.

10. nobull1

nobull1 Junior Member

Very confusing Chuck.This seems like what has happened on "the diesel page" a lot of rules that limit your ability to communicate.What has happened over there is someone setup a new site which allows more free flow of info and has grabbed a lot of the customers from the tdp.I do not know if this could happen here but it is food for thought. Not trying to cause trouble just expressing my point of view, and maybe in violation of the new rules :confused: Maybe if some reason was given for the new rules they would go down better,sort of like Buckley's:)

11. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Clarification would be helpful. I love coming to this site. I visit nearly every day, several times. I believe that this site may get boring if all rules are followed. Unfortunately, now that they have been applied, it will be difficult to retract causing the governing body to look:eek: . If all the rules are such that they have been affected by actual legal ramifications, then stay they must. At this time, I see no reason not to post links providing that they stay within a certain realm of effectiveness.(big words, I know;) ). I do hate the product or manufacturing bashing. Especially from ones that have never owned the product. Regardless of where these new rules lead, I will always be a member, just may not visit as often. :drinkup:

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Highpoint, most of these rules have already been in effect, some were reworded, others were unwritten rules that we enforced. They've been spelled out so everyone can know what's to be expected here at Plowsite.

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

14. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

If you think this stuff is complicated just wait for the day to arrive in some federal court where it's decreed that no one can mention a website without infringing on a copyright or domain. It's already in the works my friends, being lobbied by special interest groups and let's hope the powers at large, don't fall for that one. You'll have to get permission or pay a royalty to the specific domain if you elect to mention their web address.

Regarding rule #1, could it be understood as an infraction if one was to post a question about a certain brand plow or accessory? How is one to clarify their question short of mentioning the manufacturer's name short of having it appear as a variation of advertising? For example:

POSTER: I have a question about "Snowplow X" and how to adjust & service the hydraulic unit. Can ayone give me the procedures on what "Snowplow X" recommends?

Respondent 1: Sorry bud, "Snowplow X" tells me nothing since there are so many brands out there. Without a specific mfgr. name I can't offer advice.

Respondent 2: Who's "Snowplow X"? Is there a new manufacturer on the scene now?

Furthermore, if a poster was to ask for opinions on a certain brand, would respondents be labeled as advertising?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  15. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

hmmmm

The silence is deafening. Can I mention that I have a " Dodge " truck with a "Fisher" plow and a "Snoman " backplow? I think this is what has to be clarified

16. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Alright, I'm young, dumb, and new- here's my (somewhat comic)perspective/ interpretation. (We is to be interpreted as membership, powers-that-be, moderators, visitors, or whoever else you feel it may fit... a VERY generic term)

Please, enjoy!

1. If you or someone you associate with will benefit financially from your post, and neither of you are sponsors, it's advertising.

2. We don't talk about lawnsite...(oops) I have no idea what the history is, but I don't care because I don't do green work. Also, we don't want everyone to jump ship and use this place as a springboard.

3. Keep it clean.

4. Keep it legal

5. Be nice

6. Keep it clean and legal

7. Some psychos can read, and lots of them are on the web, so WE don't want to be tied to YOU if something you say causes something bad.

8. Don't steal my stuff... or anyone else's!

9. Keep it clean

10. Be nicer.

11. we need to protect meyer22288pumpkin:

12. Again, be nice.

13. If you don't stop breakin' the law, we'll stop you.

14. If you're not nice, ask beherit316 or natas what happens... wait- they can't reply THEY'RE OUTTA HERE!

15. If it isn't nice, clean, legal and non-advertising, we'll be happy to make it so for you.

(this is getting longer than I thought!)

16. MINE, MINE, MINE!!

17. Just like baseball... GO TWINS!

18. AND STAY OUT!

19. Whattya think we are- stupid?

20. If you have an opinion based on real-life experiences, and it wont' anger anyone whose name is at the top of this page, we're interested.

17. BRL

LOL Good job EZ Snow. :p
    Correction on # 2.
    We can talk about Lawnsite and I believe Arboristsite as well, because all 3 are Sean's sites. However, all of the others are off limits.

BWhite,
    I hear ya! ;)

Hopefully Sean will get into this thread for us soon to clarify these questions. We can't really speak or interpret for him ( I'm not sure on some of these clarifications myself), so we just have to be a little patient until he gets back to us.

18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

im not to happy with whats going on at lawnsite and plowsite.yeah theres a new lawn website so what.why are you guys hiding it from your members yeah its another site started up by someone else big deal.soon or a later everyone will know about the other site.i don't really see what you guys are so worried about

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Well, I dont care what other new sites pop up, I like it here and this is where Ill be hanging out and posting. From being here so long, you start to feel you kind of know some of the guys here without having ever met them in person. I mean the guys who are in alot of the threads helping out or even if its just to make a funny. Going to a new site would be like starting all over again with people you dont know. That may sound dumb, but its just my oppinion. It would be nice though if we could mention good dealings we have had even if it wasnt with a PlowSite vendor. Mike

20. BRL

Mike9497,
    When your clients call you asking for services, do you tell them, hey you should also call ABC Company, & try XYZ Company too because they offer the same services. I'm guessing not. There are 10-12 active green industry message boards, 5 or so that started this year I believe, and 3 or so snow plowing ones. Lawnsite & Plowsite are the oldest & largest of all of those. It makes sense for LS\PS\AS to not allow posting of those other sites. That's all. It has always been the policy, not something new to get bent out of shape about. Some of the other message boards do allow postings of other sites, and that's their decision to make. But they are much smaller than these, and those mentions will ultimately help them grow, through reverse mentions at the other sites. There is certainly plenty of room on the internet for many green industry message boards, & Sean knows this and has no problem with others. But this is a difficult business to be in, and he has decided not to help others grow theirs while working on his. Seems like normal, sound business practices to me.