1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The PERFECT plow truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Sep 8, 2011.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

sooo a friend of mine picked a few of these up from the army. some fords and dodges used to tow planes around you can also find them at airport surplus's.

the short wheel base and low gearing seem absolutely perfect to me...anyone ever seen one set-up with a plow.

[​IMG]

2. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Yes they are called tugs. I have never seen fords or dodges but there is a guy north of me that runs a different style of tugs and they are 4 wheel steer short wheel base very heavy geared low, I think he puts 12 ft angle plows on them they look kind of goofy but seem to work well.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How are they so heavy? Looks like a big plow would lift the rear tires off the ground.

4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I presume something like that HAS to be 4 wheel drive?

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

anymore pics?

6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

yes they werent all though but that one is

7. AllOutLandscape

AllOutLandscape Member

snowlord you are talking about shamrock? correct? they are awesome machines alot bigger than that dodge though

8. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah shamrock uses them.

Not sure about you but MY "PERFECT" plow truck is a Gmc 4500 with a nice 9'2" Boss V
    Just sayin!

$(KGrHqYOKnEE2,GQ3wfNBNr0K7oELw~~_7.jpeg

9. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

when i saw them in Seattle they were 2wd. but the ones up here are all 4x4.

that one was a cummins/auto also. no more pics though wish i had taken more.

10. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Yes if I remember right they are extremely heavy.

11. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

The ones in MN your talking about are from shamrock. I used to work for him as a sub. They are extremly heavy and do run 12' plows. they move snow and windrow extremly well.

12. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The ones i have seen were Cummins too. These trucks "tugs" are very heavy, around 9k lbs if i remember correctly. Make a wicked plow truck with a V-Plow.