1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The old my truck overheats with a plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WRIGHTWAY, Dec 18, 2005.

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I have a 2000 Chevy 1500 with a 4.8 v8 I carry + or – 400 pounds of tool in the cap and bed. I can pull my 24 ft enclosed car trailer fully loaded on a mid 90 deg day with no problem it stays at 195 –200 mark. When I put the plow on (yes I know air is blocked) it gets hot I mean 240+ I have to stop for temp to come back down. I run the plow low 2+3 in of the ground and try to keep my speed down these two tricks extend my run time but I still have to stop to lower temp. I added an electric fan to help with the lack of airflow that helps but not much. Anyone have any experience with these trucks is the tow haul package a thicker rad or will the 6.0 rad bolt in?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would just try to rig some kind of an air deflector on the light tower or even atop the blade itself, all you need to do is direct some air toward the grill and she'll be happy again. I've seen people use a piece of clear poly on top of the triangle, so when it is up it is guiding air down and back. A friend of mine actually made one out of some 6 inch HVAC piping, looked kind of like a snorkel but it worked well enough. I'm thinking about making something now for my Blizzard, I don't care for the ones they manufacture for it, I am going to try to attach some poly or 20 gauge sheetmetal to the light tower.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Blizzard has a air scoop that bolts to the top of the blade, you can go on their web site to see what it looks like. I built my own for a jeep I have,solved the over heating problem great. It needs to be mounted to the blade to work. Mounting to the light tower wont work because the blade is pushing the air way up higher than the headlights.
    Or you can eliminate the fan clutch with a direct couple fan and that will fix the over heating also, but the fan will make alot more noise. Those electric fans just dont pull very much air with a plow blocking the airflow.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  4. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

LOWER the plow this will let the air to flw into the rad.
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Tilt the blade over to one side completely.

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Tried that I drop the blade right to the road and let the sparks fly and tap it up till it just stops making contact with the road. This is better than having the blade up but the only time IV ever left blade up was because I forgot to lower it leaving a job site

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Tried that also with no luck. Nothing is going to help with the current equipment unless modified or changed. I am looking at making or buying the air foil for top of blade as this is the cheaper fix but I think they kind of look like crap that’s why going to look in to the bigger radiator

8. do a search on the chevy truck forum under "overheating" it will give you all the info you need. Pay close attention to the ones regarding the clutch fan recall.
  9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The clutch fan is not a recall... it is a Technical Service Bulletin, and it only covers the 2500HD with the 6.0L engine and the snow plow prep package(RPO code VYU).

My thoughts:

the truck is a 1500 with the smaller 4.8L v8 in it. This truck most likely does not have the snow plow prep package #1, so complaining to the dealer is not going to work. Since it has the 4.8L it might have a smaller radiator. I could be wrong, but worth looking into... I would also assume that it does not have the tow package which means no transmission cooler.

I would look into a thicker radiator #1 , then possibly change out the clutch fan for a flex fan or something that is going to draw more air through.

The deflector will also work, but in my opinion is just a band aid fix...
  10. ght1098

ght1098 Member

There is a separate TSB for the 1/2 tons with this problem, if your truck does not have the plow prep you can go to the dealer or parts store and order the fan yourself, go see your dealer and they will look up the TSB for you so you can get part numbers. I just did this for mine and it solved the problem.
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Just a note, the fan clutch will wear out with age. I would try replacing the fan clutch, preferably with one that goes to a 200hd, 6.0 with plow prep(it will bolt up).
  12. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

does the fan clutch work ?

im not sure of the exact engagement temperature but around 215-220 ? you should hear it kick in.it makes a loud howling sound,least mine does and it brings the temp right back down to normal range 200-210 degrees and disengages.if your not hearing that howl by say 220 degrees id replace the fan clutch.i wouldnt be concerned about the engine running at 240.id check the tranny fluid to make sure its not cooked.tranny fluid cooks up quick when that temp gets up to 240 and stays there for too long
  13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

As far as angling or lowering the blade, doesn't work real well on a low nosed Chevy. I've got my T-bars cranked an inch and a half, and 235/85/16 rubber, and my 810 still covers the nose pretty well. I carry it straight and down almost touching the ground, and it's good up to abut 45-50 mph. I've tried angling it, but all that does is put one corner on the pavement and the other way up in my line of sight. And at night it blocks a headlight, also reflects it back at me off the white paint. Why can't they make a plow that angles when it is up like it does when it is down? I was going to make something for the lightbar, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I will make something like what Blizzard offers. On the highway mine will heat up, but I hear the fan kick in and knock it right back down.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

man that sucks mine stays at 190 no matter what. i keep the plow about 4 - 5 inches off the ground and straight up. do you still have the plastic air deflector on ?

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Well first off thanks for all your thoughts on this.:salute: I called the dealers parts department and asked first about a bigger radiator (tow haul or for bigger motor) they don’t make anything else there all the same. Asked if there was a TSB on the fan clutch for my truck there was not but he did say he had 2 in stock his thought was if he had them in stock for a truck as new as 2000 then they probably have had problems / failures with them. The dealer list the part for 140.00-160.00 cant remember but auto zone list the clutch for $ 67.00 bought it put it on this morning and put the truck to the test 20 mi drive at 75-80 mph with the plow all the way up temp never left it normal 195. :) :)