1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The official NO SALT thread

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I saw guys posting about no salt in their area weeks ago but it finally hit me this week at the worst possible time. We had rain then freezing rain for hours the other day then snow, and 1 ton of salt left. I went back to get another load of salt and we were shut off! Nothing personal but our supplier only had 40 tons left and that wasnt even enough for him for a day. Called everywhere and the only thing I heard was sorry we're sold out, hopefully this weekend. Who would have ever thought there would be a shortage in salt.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The county building by me took about 5 big truck loads from the public school system the other day. They also took it from one of the bigger landscape companies in the area. I think they had 4 big truck loads that they got from them.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Starting here.

Wednesday morning's icy roads were just one of many challenges faced by Western New York street crews.

One of the biggest has been making sure each department's salt supply lasts through the season.

"It holds about 250 tons full and as you can see it's about half empty," said Dave Raecher as he pointed to a Cattaraugus County salt barn. "I have an order in right now. We just haven't received it."

Raecher said he ordered 30 truck loads for the county last Friday. So far he has only received four.

Lockport, Cheektowaga, Amherst and Dunkirk have also reported slower and smaller deliveries. Amherst Superintendent Robert Anderson said he's now getting two truck loads at a time as opposed to ten.

The Village of Lancaster has been the hardest hit. Public Works Superintendent Mark Gee said he can't get any more salt from American Rock Salt because he's already used his requested amount and then some.

"You're allowed to go percentage wise above and beyond your original order but we've exceeded that so they will not sell you anymore," Gee said.

A spokesman with American Rock Salt said the company must make sure it has enough product to fill orders for other municipalities which haven't hit their quotas. The company said this winter has been especially demanding on the supply.

Cargill, an Ohio mine, said there is no shortage of salt at their facilities. Rather, it's difficult for those involved in the mining and delivery process to keep up with the demand.

The Village of Lancaster has adjusted by purchasing a gritty, sand-like mixture which is being mixed with what little salt is left.

"They told us we can try calling back in another week to ten days and see if at that point something would be available for us, but that's where we're at right now," Gee said.

4. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

You guys have to do what I did. Go to your local hardware or grocery store and buy coarse water softener salt. I realize it is bagged and not bulk but take what you can get and spread it by hand. I have found that it is a bit cheaper too for some reason and works the same.

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

TNT
    Will that stuff go through a spreader?:waving:

6. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i put two pallets of course rock salt through my spreader and didnt have a problem at all.

7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Some stuff is smaller than others but generally I would say yes. If not, dump it in a rubbermaid tub and use a small plastic coffee can or large cup and throw it by hand. That is what I do. That way you can control how much and where it goes.

8. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

what about that liquid stuff i saw on the news made from beet juice or somthing? anyone able to use that?

9. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Beet juice lowers the temp at which salt will work

10. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I have never seen it for sale. As far as I know, only municipalities use it.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Anybody can buy beet juice, just have to find someone who sells it.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

up in TO can't you get it on Younge St?

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like the carrot, beet mix. LOL

14. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

as long as we are talking about smoothies, why not add some vodka? wouldn't that melt some snow or perhaps same gasoline haha

15. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

You guys are complaining about no salt and there is a guy here in Kansas City that is putting down salt on all of his lots as we speak. The only problem is the lots are dry and there is no snow or ice in the forcast for a long time. It spitted snow this morning but never stuck to the ground. His lots look like the salt flats right now. And they say that KC has a salt shortage. They haven't looked at this guys property's there is enough salt there to do half the city.

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hes got too much.... anybody try pretzle salt...comes in big bags like 50 to 75 pounds.....jw

17. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

ochit: he is like me and just trying to get it in the bill for this year.......KC is one with snow&ice an i have half a bin left.....you want it?

18. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lets go there tonight and you sweep it up, and i'll buy it from you? $25/ton okay??

19. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

No this guy has got his bill in already he pre treats during and after and then the next day just to be safe. You really could sweep it up and reuse it. Jay if you come down to Lee's Summit it is down the street from Raintree.