1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The "Norm" For Apartment Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnprolawns, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Obviously, apartments are almost always going to have cars parked all over, in different places at different times. I'm bidding on some sites that have parking on both sides of the lot, and the lot is not wide enough to be able to back up and get in between cars and drag snow out, etc. if there are cars on the opposite side.

For all you that do a lot of this, do you salt heavy around the spaces and push what you can then come back later and clean it up? Does mgmt. understand that it's almost impossible and not mind "sloppy" work at times?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

get a skid steer and you will have no problem with the tight areas. In a blizzard slop is okay, but a normal snow fall you should have a good plan of attack to do an effective and neat job, with the right equipment to achieve that goal.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

When we use to do apts. We would go and clean the main lanes as close to cars as we could and if the snow was over 2" we would go back 2 days later after management had posted to have all cars moved by a certain time. If cars were not moved we had autherizstion from managment to have them towed out and "inpounded" by our towing contractor. (they have there own lot to store cars). We never went inbetween cars at all.

4. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I do apartments too and it is a pain. I use a s-10 blazer to back drag and then the big truck with the wings to move the snow. Stuff left behind is not an option. I only salt the aisle as that is all they want. If you have a skid it would be good, but right now I do not...

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I do apartments , all the tenants know what time I:ll be there, I make sure Im there at the time set, some people are unbelievers, they wont move their car unless your there. Sometimes youll get people workin shift work, so a car may sit we then clean 3 feet away from it. Sometimes everybody there mis behaves except a few so you clean what ya can. Dont contract for the job if y ou feel your not properly equipped because it ll become a p a i n.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Now, the snow here generally melts and doesn't stay all winter as further north, so YMMV.

But we do apartments early, do the drivelanes and the sidewalks and any spots we can get before 7am or so so people can go to work.

Then we come back about 10am after most people have gone to work and work the parking lot again.

Not all spots get cleared.
    If the car is still there, it has snow next to it.
    I require more than 1 spot between cars, just too easy to hit a car otherwise (yes, even with the tractor), what's the gain in that?

Nobody has ever said boo. I've been doing it that way since the early 90's (for different people and myself) and no one cares, seems to be SOP here.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We open the lanes and then come back to clean where xars were parked. Usually once a month MGT has all the cars moved so we get everything cleaned plus it's a good way for an extra billing when your not plowing a storm.

8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I usually try to do these kinds of places during the day when there are fewer cars around. We have a couple of different arrangements depending on what the client has asked for. One place, we plow there at 11:00 am after a snowfall. That is it. So at 11:00 everyone knows we will be there and moves their cars (been doing this for 8 years here). That is the best system. Because also then you don't have to worry about them at any other time. Other option is a place where people just move their cars in the morning and we come by sometime after lunch. Get it done by about 4:00 and all is good. Another place, we just go and open up the roadways, keep them open all the time. Management calls us after a few snowfalls to schedule a lot cleanup. Then he posts a notice and everyone moves at a scheduled time. This one works well because we don't have to spend a lot of time there when it is snowing and my time is expensive. So, there are a couple of examples how we do it. Main thing i tell everyone is that we don't go within 2 feet of parked cars. Unless they want to sign off on the liability for hitting a car (most places are more agreeable when you offer it to them that way).

Biggest thing is to make sure you have a system set up right from the start so that you all understand what you are doing and when you are doing it. Start out by asking management what they expect. Offer some ideas but make sure you understand what they are asking for. Then bid accordingly.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

the apartment complex we do gets plowed before people leave for work in the morning, we clean the aisles and anywhere where there is more than 1 empty space, then around 11 in the morning we come back to clean the rest of the spots where cars were parked, if they arent moved, its too bad for them. we charge less for the cleanup than the initial plowing.