1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"The Nicest Plow Truck In NY" ......

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MikeRi24, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

......had to copy AlaskaBoss on the title, since I bought pretty much the same truck as him and have done pretty much the same modifications (his thread is here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=93287&highlight=nicest+plow+truck+in+alaska )
    Anyway, my "work pictures" thread was getting cluttered up with pics of this truck, which is more of a project in and of itself, so I thought I'd just put them all here.

Over the summer, the landscaping end of my business had grown quite significantly, and my outlook on this winter's business was that I'd be adding a lot more snow work. Since I was pretty much at capacity myself last year I decided that it was time to add a second rig for plowing. I looked on and off for a couple months, and I found it on CL and it was in Rochester (about an hour and a half away) and I called the guy, got the details on it and he said someone was coming back for a second look the next day so I knew I pretty much wanted it so I PayPal-ed him a deposit til I could get out there a couple days later and the chance I took payed off. I couldnt drive it back because the exhaust manifold was leaking so bad, so before I left to go out there I Googled "auto shippers Rochester NY" and called the first place theat came up which happened to be next door (literally) to the shop where the truck was and they only wanted $65 to ship it to Buffalo so I went out there, looked at the truck, it was just as good as it sounded on the phone so I paid for it then walked next door and paid for the shipping and 3 days later it was at my house. The whole thing really worked out great, I'll never have any vehicle transaction go that smooth ever again I'm sure!

The truck is a 1999 Chevy K2500 4x4 with a 7.4 under the hood. Had just over 109k on the clock when I bought it. The body on this thing is pristine compared to most OBS Chevys around here, and thats one of the reasons I bought it. It needed tires, a drivers side exhaust manifold, battery and a few other odds and ends.

Here is is being dropped off at my house:
    [​IMG]

One of the first things I did was give it a good cleaning inside and out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I got rid of those ugly black center caps and put the same ones that are on my 2006's winter wheels on there...looks much better IMO
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but the truck also did not have a tailgate when I bought it, so I found one on CL locally for cheap and rattle-canned it as close as I could get it
    [​IMG]

Then is was off to the shop to get that exhaust manifold replaced. While it was there they found some soft brake lines so they redid those as well. When I got the truck back, it got a full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil), all fluids changed, new wheel bearing on the drivers side, and new shocks. Sorry, no pics of any of that.

After much searching locally, I found a used Boss Poly straight blade for it. The plow was a little rough when I got it, but I have since done all the maintenance to it and cleaned it up. It's the furthest one back in the pic here
    [​IMG]

3. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Gorgeous truck Man! I wanted a RCLB 3/4 ton like that real bad!

keep posting!!!

4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Next, it was time for a backrack and lighting. Got the Back Rack on, and installed a Whelen Mini-Edge 9M I got from a buddy.
    [​IMG]

I didn't like how high up the lightbar sat off the roof of the cab, so I modified the bracket a little bit, and it sits perfect now
    [​IMG]

About this time, I stumbled across a nice K2500 Suburban in a junkyard. $100 later, I had a set of near-perfect bucket seats, center console, and cab marker lights!
    [​IMG]

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

NY must be hurtin for plow trucks if that's the nicest one.

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Nice upgrade on the seats and center console.

7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

At one point I took it through the carwash for the hell of it, and for being a 12 year old truck, it actually cleans up decent
    [​IMG]

A couple weeks ago, I noticed the truck started getting louder, so I crawled underneath only to find a baseball-sized hole in the muffler! I never had the intentions of getting a nice dual exhaust like I have on my 2006, but when I took it to the exhaust shop I found that getting duals was only a little more expensive than a stock replacement setup. 2 Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers, some pipe and a couple stainless tips later I was down the road...louder than when the muffler was bad haha but it sounds "toned" at least now!
    [​IMG]

I finally was able to get the Boss plow mount and wiring all together. Next time I buy a plow, I ma paying someone to put the wiring and mount on! Its well worth the money!
    [​IMG]

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

And this is pretty much how it sits today....dirty but here it is! I think I've done everything I can to get it ready for winter, and I hope it will be a good truck for my business...it should, I mean its a Cevy!!!!

[​IMG]

9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

You dont want the fuel bill....trust me!!

If you read the first line at the top you'd get why I called it that

Yes, the seats have power lumbar, and once I ran power to that feature and got them adjusted, they are MUCH more comfortable than the bench seat

10. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

you are a scavenging repairing machine, I like the way you operate man. Good job looks good

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Im not worried about putting gas in a vehicle. Im building a dual 4bbl tunnel rammed Big Block Chevy for my 79 camaro z28. im ok with paying for gas

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Mike ... Nice truck you've got there.

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I was only kidding too. That is a nice clean truck. Good luck with itThumbs Up

14. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments guys!

15. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

came out nice mike

16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Thanks Nick, was I driving it the one day I was at your shop not long ago? I can't remember if you've actually seen it in person or not haha

17. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Very nice clean truck, I put mud flaps on mine, it helps keep the junk off the rockers and door jams.

18. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

how do you like that whelen 9m?? A local guy has two of them that are brand new and is asking $275 a piece or best offer, i know its a good deal but i would just want to know what you think of the 9m

19. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

Nice trucks. Any plans for reverse lights?

20. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

sweet big duals on a 454 that probably sounds awesome