1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Nicest Plow Truck in Alaska,... (well, at least on my driveway,...)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

:Ok, so it's not like this is really anything all that special,... but it's the nicest plow truck I've owned to date. Having really nice trucks to plow with always seemed kinda dumb to me, since it doesn't take long before they're not so nice anymore. But, after going all the way down to Missouri to get this thing, I guess it deserves to at least be set up nice. The batteries are dead in my good camera, so I had to use my older one, which has trouble with the white balance, so the colors are a little off. In any case, the first couple pics are what the truck looked like when I picked it up in Missouri,... and what it looks like now,... :waving:

2000 Chevy 3500 (Custom).jpg

aa 8 (Small).JPG

truck 222 (Custom).jpg

aa 11 (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

It's not totally done,... there's still a few things I'm going to do/change, but it's ready to start earning it's keep. But, it was a long process getting it where it is now,... many of the things I did aren't readily visible,... from striping the thing down & installing the plow harness, to welding in frame gussets,.. top & sides. I took my time, because I wanted it done right the first time,... rather than having to re-do something at 3 in the morning during a snow storm,.... :nod:

Wiring new truck (Small) (Custom).JPG

gussets (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But, in the end, it all worked & worked right,... so I hope it stays that way. Most of the things I added I already had, so I didn't spend hardly any more money to get it to this point,... starting from the top.... I had an extra Whelen Guardian mini rotator sitting on the shelf, so it went on. It's a magnetic mount,... I didn't want to put on some type of back rack, because I have a hard tonneau cover & a camper shell that I will use at times in the offseason, and didn't want to have to take it off & on all the time. I also had an extra set of cab lights,... so stuck those on as well.... drilling holes in the roof of a new truck is hard to do,... :dizzy:

aa 2 (Small).JPG

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good Dave!

Just one questions, what's with the old man boards??? :D

Edit, sorry about not waiting until you were done with pictures. If I could move this post down I would. :help:

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

On the front, I added a set of Hella's 700 series driving lights that I had,.. and I converted them to HID first,... I'm calling them the moose lights,... and the regular headlights were converted to HID & dual burn in a Wal Mart parking lot back in Missouri,... so, I can see really good now at night,.. which is most of the time around here,... they're all 6000k in color temp,... :cool:

aa 15 (Small).JPG

aa 13 (Small).JPG

6. tmf lawn care

tmf lawn care Member

:bluebounc lookin good dave kkep the pic coming :drinkup:

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Under the hood, I spent a lot of time doing & re-doing the plow harness,... I wanted it to be secure & clean,... and when I got done, it's almost invisible that anything is under here,... I mounted the solenoid & relays under the PCM,... and all the wires are hidden or combined with stock harnesses,... very happy with how that all turned out,... and of course, a dual battery set-up with 2 new 4-post 1000 cca batteries,... :drinkup:

aa 28 (Small).JPG

aa 29 (Small).JPG

aa 30 (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

One of the "fun" things I did, was to order a custom-tuned PCM from Nelson Performance. I talked to a couple of you guys before I did this, just to verify if it was worth it,... well, I have a long steep hill about a mile from my place with a 9% grade (the steepest hill allowed under Federal Regs),.. so I did my own test,... With the stock PCM I drove 55 mph right up to the base of the hill in 4th gear, then romped on it, and was doing about 74mph going over the top. Then I put in the Nelson PCM,... doing the same test at the same speed, I now went over the top @ 91mph !!! So, since the power increase was what they claimed, I'm going to assume that the increase in gas mileage should be as well,... 2-3 more mpg. If that happens, this $200 investment will be more than paid for before the winter is over,... this is a 350 vortex,... and as it is now, there would be no need for more power than this, for anything I do,... :drinkup:

aa 31 (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Haha,.. that's ok Mark. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the running boards either, but they are nice sealed aluminum ones that I had laying around here,... and most of the body damage I do while plowing is knocking big chucks of ice & hard snow down behind the front wheels, then hit it with the bottom of the body, so I figured that they would help protect the body from getting dents, plus, it's a rock/stone guard the whole length as well. If I decide it looks too dorky, it's no big deal to jerk them off,... but since they are free, I thought I'd put them on for now,... :waving:

aa 7 (Small).JPG

aa 14 (Small).JPG

aa 17 (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

In the back, I couldn't find a solution to rear-ward lighting that I liked,... guess I'm so spoiled with the rear bumper on the '92,... and how great that is. Something counter-sunk into the back of the bumper is probably what I'll eventually do, but it may take several bumpers to get it right. So, for now, I just bolted a couple of 55w halogen lights directly to the bottom of the bumper,... so it helps, but it's not a permanent thing,...

aa 10 (Small).JPG

aa 12 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Woo hoo new truck pics!! That's really nice work and it turned out excellent. I can't wait to see it pushing.

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then,... to the interior. Last year, I put a set of bucket seats in the '92,.... & I couldn't believe what a difference it made to how tired & sore I used to be after sitting in the truck for 12-18 hours a day !! So, while I was in Minnesota, I found a set of 6-way power seats, a center console, an overhead console & a sliding rear window (for the dually), all for $100. So, I jerked out the bench seat & installed the buckets,.... it's sooo much nicer,... you can change the angle of how you sit, etc,... of course all you guys with newer trucks already have all this stuff,... before & after,... :)

truck 5.jpg

aa 18 (Small).JPG

325_2392951_bf5991a9-5a4a-4213-803e-4773f598f6d2.jpg

aa 19 (Small).JPG

aa 21 (Small).JPG

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

VERY nice SUPER CLEAN old body bowtie. Congrats and again EXTREMELY CLEAN truck, here in Indiana it would be very difficult for me to put a plow on it being that nice and i'm a Dodge guy! I just appreciate a well kept truck I guess.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Dave.....Very cool looking rig you got there. Good luck with her. :waving:

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Couldn't find a really perfect place to mount the joystick either,.. the 88-94 style dashes in the Chevys are much better suited for that, at least IMO, so, after trying several things, I opted with sticking it right into the front compartment of the center console. It's just right in height when resting your arm on the arm rest, but it's a little close to the stick shift when in reverse. I built a steel bracket that bolts onto the underside of the joystick, and to the mounting bracket of the console,... no holes drilled, so if I can come up with something better in the future, no harm done. I pinched the cable under the floor shifter console to keep it from flopping around & being in the way of things,... and the joystick is very tight & rigid, so I think this will be ok,...

aa 26 (Small).JPG

aa 25 (Small).JPG

aa 27 (Small).JPG

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Thanks,... if only puppys stayed puppys,.... :waving:

And finally,... the switches to turn stuff on.... I used red illuminated toggles for both the moose lights & the mini bar,... relays on everything,... and stuck the plow lights switch next to them too... very handy & I can find them in the dark....

aa 24 (Small).JPG

aa 23 (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So,.. for the final test,... the plow itself,... and it all worked just great,... I didn't do anything yet to the front suspension,.. I have an extra set of timbrens, but if I don't need them with this truck, I'm not going to put them on,... they definitely decreased the ride quality in the '92, plus, they bent the mounts on the frame where they bolt to,... the suspension has to hold the weight, not a chunk of rubber,... so, time will tell. The current forecast is calling for more than a foot of snow here in the next couple days,.... so maybe it'll finally get to go to work now,.... :waving::waving::waving:

aa 32 (Small).JPG

aa 33 (Small).JPG

aa 16 (Small).JPG

18. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Looks sweet!, i remember your thread when you got it... So, what do you got in it? if you dont mind me asking

19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice looking plow rig

20. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

looks great dave, very nice truck and good job on all the upgrades :drinkup: