1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The new truck and plow seems like a good investment right about now.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

7-DAY FORECAST
    Overnight A 50 percent chance of showers, mainly after midnight. Widespread dense fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 36. Light and variable wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the evening. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
    Monday A 50 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Widespread dense fog before 8am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 48. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
    Monday Night Increasing clouds, with a low around 21. West wind 3 to 5 mph.
    Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 34. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
    Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 18. Calm wind.
    Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 36.
    Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 22.
    Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 35.
    Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 12.
    Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.
    Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.
    Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 30.
    Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.
    Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.

2. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I got 3K CASH with your name all over it for that new plow if your investments don't pan out. Just saying.....

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

There's a lot of used equipment that went up for sale the last few days. I know you are being sarcastic,but it's a buyer's market. :)

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I have 10k invested in four trucks. Have to love old paid for junk.

5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Well at least ONE of my trucks are paid for. And my plow. Just made my first payment on my new truck this past saturday...........:p

6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

We picked up a new (used) plow last year. No snow with no seasonals for some guys = Sell the plow before that bank takes the truck! needless to say... We got an outstanding deal! payup

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats why I bought plow trucks last year. Paid off, and CHEEEP. Got two trucks, both with under 130k miles, decent blades, and everything worked except one needed ball joints. 5k. Not bad lol.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our long term forecast says same thing, basically NO SNOW! This gets me thinking of buying a used skid steer over a 40k new one.

9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

If i werent trying to get debt free this year, i would be buying, buying, buying. i have been seeing lawncare guys on the roadsides selling everything from quads to torches, mini skids to snowblowers. trying to make rent.

10. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

And that my friend is what separates the boys from the men in this business. :salute:

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm happy with no real snow I would salt every day and make a killing

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

At the height of the summer heat, I bought a Meyers Plow, Lights, Wire Harness, Hydraulics for $200.00. The guy selling it said that this was his last piece of equipment. He sold 4 trucks and 4 plows because it did not snow last winter. I made a phone call from my truck and had the plow sold on my way home.

I am a snow only company. We have not had any snow last winter (as stated above) or this winter (yet). I do have myself positioned so that I can make my payments without resorting to a fire sale.

I wish everyone would think about their "financials" before they make the commitment. Let me retract that because than their would be no "lowballers"!!!

13. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

We can only dream of such a world!! :rolleyes:

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

Just to clarify, I was only complaining about the lack of snow...not about the financials.
    I make my living in the woods, the plowing is something to make money doing while the snow comes out of the trees. I will say plowing is easy money, and I'd prefer to do it over riding the skidder. I'll be fine money wise if it doesn't snow, just pissy.Thumbs Up

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Whattaya know, it's going to snow wedsnday! Enough to plow even! The weathercreatures never know until it's about to happen. I should have gone into meterology right out of HS. I could be making decent bank and no need of being good at my job.

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

17. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

GSS LLC where you from?

18. Buswell Forest

from NH

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Is a V plow that much better then a straight blade with wings? Or for that matter worth the extra 2-4k?

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

Oh yes, and then some. Mine was $600 more (I think) than a 9' straight blade.

Being able to carry snow is such a time saver, it's like going from a 6.5 plow to a 9' plow.
    Also, busting heavy wet snow or a driveway that hasn't been plowed for several storms is 10x easier in full V...you don't get pushed sideways. You stay straight. Think of it like the keel on a boat.