1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The new (to me) back-up truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by merrimacmill, Oct 30, 2009.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well, my buddy was selling his truck which used to be mine back in the day so I thought I should buy it back. I'm going to put a fuel transfer tank in the back, tool box, some plow parts and tools, snowblower and a few shovels. It seats six so its a perfect shoveler truck and if one piece of equipment goes down, I'll throw the plow on it to pick up the slack. I'm usually not into the idea of buying used trucks, but for the price I could not beat it. Not to mention a "back-up truck/shoveler truck" doesn't warrant a $40,000 purchase for me at least. I'd rather buy another boat :nod:

Its a 1997 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 350 V8. The truck was custom extended into a full 4 door (it came from the dealer in 97' as a reg cab) by Centurion Customs. Don't see many of these around. The plow is a 7.5 fisher MM1

We're just doing some minor work to it right now, replacing the fuel pump, distributer cap and roller, a brake line, get it lettered up with my logos, and put a light on top, just some odds and ends to get it ready for the winter. I think its getting a headache rack across the back window to mount the lights on and prevent the rear window getting smashed out.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nice backup,but does it go forward?

3. merrimacmill

from MA

to funny gv. hahah

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

its not does it just go foward does it go backward too :) very nice truck mill. Dont see those too often haha

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Sure looks factory! Mint looking chevy, I like it a lot...can you get any pics of the frame work that was done when the truck was stretched? I love the look of those mid to late 90's chevy's

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks good and not to many times do you get your old truck back in that shape

7. merrimacmill

from MA

Ya, I'll grab some pics when I swing by the shop tomorrow. They cut the frame right behind the front doors and the new fit in piece is ends around the back of the rear doors. But the cab... It baffles me how they did that because I cannot see any thing on it at all. The only way you can tell it was done is the frame extension.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Lets just say someone (me) wanted that truck... what would that person have to pay?

9. merrimacmill

from MA

Ya, I mean its more beat up than it looks in the pictures. Its plowed for almost 12 years now. But for what it is, its in pretty nice shape.

10. merrimacmill

from MA

How about $295,000. I'll drive it to your door, and hand wax all your trucks. :laughing:

But seriously, he tried giving it to me very persistently, but I hate taking stuff from people. I always feel like I own everyone something afterwards, so I paid him $500 for it.

11. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Very nice chevy... coming from a Ford guy:nod:

12. NBI Lawn

Deal but you added two too many zeros to your price :p

Oh and I only use Mothers wax

13. NBI Lawn

I'll double your money and you can keep the plow AND buy you a :drinkup:

Whats the mileage?

14. merrimacmill

from MA

Heres my new employee changing out the fuel pump. The bolts were stripped that hold the straps to the tank on so we had to lift the bed. Took him a bit because of all the rusted bolts, but it all worked out in the end.

And ya... I'm running out of room in my shop. We're setting up a second one next week.

IMG_0455.jpg

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Are you installing the fisher on the new backup?

You can fit a crap ton of shovelers in that truck.

16. merrimacmill

from MA

Its already installed on it. It came with the truck.

Ya, it should be good for its purpose.

17. merrimacmill

from MA

I think its right around 120,000. It was 98,000 when I sold it to him.