1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The new guy...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 97sixfive4x4, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 97sixfive4x4

97sixfive4x4 Junior Member

Hey guys, Just signed up for the site. I run a grader for a living, plowing snow on municipal roads in the winter and road maintenance/construction in the summer. anyhow, I am building my own plow for my 97 gmc 6.5l turbo 4x4. I farm and would like something for around there. I see a small local market i suppose. Not that i am trying to do get into the industry. anyway I enjoy wrenching and fabricating and have seen enough (and broke enough) plows that i know the week points, so im not to worried about building this. I have an older Craig blade that is exactly 6 feet (I'll probebly add 6" to each side). and the mount I want will just push straight ahead. I think it will be a pretty easy build. If anybody has done this feel free to give me some ideas! I'll post pics when i'm done. Look forward to chatting with you all.
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite, Try the search butten, many home made plows on here.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If all your going to do is push straight make 1 foot sides at a 45 degree angle, so you can scoop the snow. That will make it alot more effective.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i definitely agree that this will make a big difference and make plowing much easier
  5. 97sixfive4x4

97sixfive4x4 Junior Member

Thanks guys, i like that idea.
    I made it this morning. I even got to plow for about 15 feet, haha. I built a "hitch" style mount on my truck. basicaly i built a receiver hitch on the front. Then i built an a-frame on the plow. then i built a braket for the winch. I used a 1500 lb winch i had kicking around. But i have it lifting too far back and not "up" enough. Also, I bent the heck out of my "hitch". apparently i didnt build it heavy enough. oh well, live and learn. some minor repairs and braces to build. i know exactly how im going to fix it. I will let you all know how it works. then i'll post pictures. Thanks for the input.