1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The new 860 SW

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by abbert55, Jan 23, 2008.

1. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Boys... In the last 33 years I've plowed with alot of different equipment. From my first unit a1962 AWD I-H Scout, a Western and a couple of Meyers. Not to mention a full sized log skidder with wobblestick steering and a 12' blade. (try to keep that straight on the road). I've plowed with pro wings for the last 12 years and didn't think there was much better than that...... until this morning. I got to use the Speedwing for the first time and all I can say is W O W:bluebounc. I was able to take 1 full hour time off my biggest account. I also saved about 15 min more on a job that normally takes 1 hr. to complete. I was able to take a full blade width with no trail off (3" deep). I believe the boys at Blizzard have done their homework and are batting a 4.0 GPA. I've included a couple of pics for those who wanted to see the new toy.

DSC_0586 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0587 (Medium).JPG

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

So that's what they're supposed to look like !!! Nince and shiny !!! I am glad to hear that your finally up and running with the SW. Better yet it sounds like your very happy too:) I love using my sw. just as much as the 810 I had. I'll be running the speed wings from here on out !!! Mine is on it's second season and it still looks pretty good for a blizzard. The day I got it I sprayed high gloss clear coat all over it. I don't know if this is good but it sure didn't hurt. I resprayed it this fall and still no scratches. I have to plow a fare amount of gravel drives and I still have all of my stickers. If you have a warm place to do it , it might be worth a try. Again I am glad to hear your up and running. I hope you like your plow as much as I like mine !!! Good Luck, shaun

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The speedwing isn't as wide as the 810 is it? It looks real wide on that truck!

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Looks great Al!

5. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

The Speedwing is 8'7" wide when in bucketblade position (normal position) and you can pin the wings back straight to make it 9'9" wide. The 810 is 8' wide in narrow and 9'3" in bucketblade and 10' in extended. The selling feature for me was the simplicity of the SW. No extra solenoids, slide boxes or hoses to replace or give trouble. I can still pick up an extra customer or two with the time I'm saving. My pro wings gave me 9' 2" in straight ahead position but the Speedwing carries more snow because the wings are longer. I really don't think you will miss the 8" between the 860 and 810. Hope this is helpful, Al

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Simple is good in terms of maintenance ++ for speedwing

Adjustable straight blade width for back dragging garage doors, and between parked cars++ for 810

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Welcome to the Blizzard family. You will love that plow. LIttle brother finally after assembling them for years got to use one. Guess that one's not getting sold :nod:

You might want to think about a set of Extendor carbides for the wings before you get alot of time on the plow. Watch for wing tip wear before main edge as that's what shows first.

Also can't see the back side of the plow in the picts so don't know if it has the mods to the back. Early blades would snap cables. Newer blades have a cut out on the back of the wings for the cable to go into when they push back.

Again congrats.

jerre

8. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanks Jerre for the post, Your right, I do love this plow. I was wondering if extenders on the main cutting edge would be in order? Also.... how about a pair of Danger wings for the get wide theme. Would the wings hold up to the extra strain? Thanks, Al

9. Jerre Heyer

Al, Don't really need extenders on the main edge. The wing tips take the brunt of it on the speed wings and the Power Plows. For the guys that wear the standard extenders out quickly there is a bigger option. Once the first set get worn down thru the carbide you cut them off and add a second set normally. We also have a doubled up carbide for the high wear settings.

The danger wings for them turn it into a bucket as they point almost straight forward when the plow is straight and actually turn in past straight when the plow is all the way angled. We make a straight extension version for the Speedwings that adds 6" or 8" per side with a Urethane bottom or a steel and carbide bottom.

Jerre

10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Jerre, Do you have any photo's of the danger wings on the speed wing?

11. Jerre Heyer

I'll try to dig one out of the camera.

J

12. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Speed Wing

WOW! I want one of these Any one know if you can put one of these on a crew cab duramax?

13. Jerre Heyer

Picts of a speed wing with extenders to the outside

Flat bed install and plow picts 031.jpg

14. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

TKLawn,
    You can go to the Blizzard web site by clicking the link at the top of the page....(sponsor section) and input all of your truck specs including the GAWR, GVWR, driver position and weight, current axle weight, and wheelbase to see if your truck will be able to handle a plow. These factors determine the trucks ability more than just the configuration of the truck. You will also need to complete the ballast calculator to see how much ballast is needed for your particular application.
    Al

15. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Should be fine, guys put the 810 on those trucks all the time and that is heavier. My extra cab duramax has been great. Crank Torsion Bars, add Timbrens, and stack 10 or more 80 lb salt bags along the rear of the bed for ballast.

16. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Thanks AI I checked it out now it would be nice if it would let me put in 6.6 dirtymax instead of 6.0 bummer.