1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The new 6.4L diesels (ford) any one have one yet?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I as actually thinking of trading my 06 F250 5.4L gasser in on a 08 F250 with a 6.4L diesel, does any one have one yet? If so how's the fuel mileage and power?
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Fuel 13 to 14, power the same as diesels have always been.

I'd really like an honest answer as to whatthe 08 Chevys are getting. I think all diesels in 08 had to have this new emmisions stuff and I do see it effecting the fuel milage, at least compared to my 05.
  3. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I don't own either but have have gas engines. My contractor we help work for bought a new 08 Ford and now has 12K miles on it. Living in Iowa he has gone to colorado which the best he did was 14 and he has taken the truck to Des Moines which is a 4 hour drive and he got 15. When working and pulling his 22ft enclosed trailer - he is getting 10. His 07 is a dually crew cab with automatic - does the same.

The other guy I know has the new 08 chevy with dmax. He is a concrete guy - pulling 30ft trailers with forms. His furthest trip so far has been 6 hours away to South Dakato - brand new no miles - he said he got b/t 14 - 17 I guess windy when he came home. Pulling his trailers - he said he really doesn't check cuz then he would of bought a Harley - but he said around 10 - 12.

I went to Kentucky this fall with my 06 Chevy HD with the 6.0 engine - I got 16 for a high and 12 for a low. Drove 72 the entire trip.

I am getting a new 08 chevy but I can't justify the diesel price for the milage - and I don't keep a truck past 40 - 60K miles.
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

A buddy of mine has a 2007 2500HD CC/SB LMM Duramax and gets about 16 max on the highway, 13 city, a little lower for towing. I heard the 6.4's mileage is terrible to the point where its no better than a gasser.
  5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

6. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

My dad has an '08 F-450 pickup...auto, 4x4 etc. It gets 12.5MPG with only 3000KM on it at the moment, and pulling a 4-horse trailer the milage dosn't change much at all. This truck is equipped with the 4.30 gears, too.
    I'm thinking it's time for Gear Vendors!!!
  7. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

If you are going to trade it, you'll only be doing it for the new body style and the extra horsepower. Remember, you can buy a lot of gas for the $7,000 upgrade for the diesel engine and tranny package..........and I'm a huge diesel fan with 14 of them myself. That being said, my new 08 Ford will have the V-10.
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's really awful
    I have a 06 2500HD CC/LB LBZ duramax and I get typically 18mpg combined, as good as 22/23 on the freeway and about 12mpg towing. And that's at 5000 feet altitude.

The other 06 Duramax reg cab, LB, LBZ duramax gets about 1 to 2mpg better (weighs less, not a CC)

Cummins get the best mileage, Ford's get the worst, Duramax in the middle, been that way for quite a while now.

Personally, after all the trouble Ford had with the 6.0L, I'd wait, I'd wait a good couple years before seeing if they got the 6.4L right.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

My mechanic also said they are terrible of gas milage, He said he would still take a 6.0L over a 6.4, even with the problems.

10. Brian Young

I know but I was thinking at the rate I'm using it now its going to be well worn in 3 years or so. I thought diesels were supposed to get in the high teens even pulling. Its not gonna happen any way, a friend of mine is a salesman at a Ford dealer and he said I would be "taking a bath". We took the 0% financing when we bought the 06 and that has something to do with it, I dont know maybe next year.
  11. Chieftkp

Chieftkp Junior Member

I have the 2008 6.4 F350 DRW with a dump body. My first tank I got 10.6 no towing but some hauling debris. The truck is strong and quiet but mileage has not been good. I get 12-13 on the highway at 60mph, empty.
  12. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

first year trucks and cars are the wroste wait alittle bit then once bugs have been work'd out and done your homework i'd jump in . but can't kill those 7.3's IMO if wanna ford . find a clean one and keep it .
  13. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I've got the 08 duramax. It has just under 500 miles on it and i get about 21-22 highway doing 55. City i havnt really checked.. could be around 10-12. My mpg does drop when the DPF gets cleaned out about once per tankful for about 15-20 minutes. You have to be driving over i think 40mph for 20 minutes for it to clean itself out. When it does that i get about 9mpg..
  14. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I'm plenty happy with my 95' 12 valve Cummins getting 20 average ! and NO payments...LOL:drinkup:
  15. Brian Young

Nice! I think I might hold out for a Dodge, maybe I'll somehow retro fit a Cummins into a Ford truck.lol Its too bad you cant build your own truck from the frame to the engine, body style, that would be sweet.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you going by your DIC or are you hand calculating the whole tank. My LMM has never got over 18 on a whole tank and my 02 got 21mpg on a trip. I have found with diesels of every make people embellish the numbers. I still love the diesel for other reasons then mileage but the upfront money is getting ridiculous. My buddy had a Ford with a 6.0 and the motor blew, so the dealer had it for a month and it wasn't fixed yet, so they gave him a real good deal on a 6.4. His new truck looks really nice and he says the 6.4 so far has been really good but he says he avg between 12 and 14mpg empty, which he's not very happy about. The truck has about 20k on it now.

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

My 08 6.4 F450 gets around 11-13 highway empty. 13 on the real real rare side. It gets around 6-7 towing my 4 car wedge trailer. The power is great the fuel milege blows. I love the truck but it is not pratical The extra cost for the diesel dosent make up the way it used to in fuel milege etc. Overall I love the truck but im going to move to a tractor next.
  18. NoFearDeere

I just bought a '05 Duramax yesterday and i'm getting 17mpg according to the truck...even if its 15 thats better than my Ford....happy already!:D
  19. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Actually, the extra dough you pay, the extra you pay for diesel, the noise, the hard starts, the front weight...WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY DIESEL? is beyond me.

We got rid of all our diesels, and I personally find the Ford V10 has way enough power for anything...

I think people still buy diesel because it's a want, not a need.

20. NoFearDeere

The noise is great....but that is a want, havent had problems with hard starts ever, the front weight you deal with; no big deal. Yes, do I agree with the new emissions diesel engines arent worth the price tag? Yes, I do. You pay about $7500 more for the Duramax/Allison combo and there is no fuel savings due to the emissions. Is my new truck worth every penny to ME, yup sure is. You take your V-10 and I will take my Duramax!:cool: