1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the more I use it the slower it goes

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gmike, Oct 15, 2009.

1. gmike

gmike Junior Member

I have an 8' Western Plow on Mark-IIIa pump (new style motor). The plow had gotten very slow to lift, still angled properly. I checked pressure at 1100 adjusted to 1500psi, cleaned filter, checked 3-way valve operation and adjustment, changed oil, changed lift cylinder packings and cylinder nut gland torqued to 35ft.lb. Now plow goes up and down properly the first 2 or 3 times then gets slower and slower until it doesn't lift but it still angels properly even dragging on dry ground. (This makes me not suspect a bad pump but???) Checked batteries (3 on truck, 2 for plow and one for engine) all ok on voltage and deep discharge test even when plow won't lift. I shut down truck let sit for 10-15 minutes (truck not charging batteries) and the process starts all over. Works fine then gets slower with use. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Frustrated:confused

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not near enough pump pressure.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It only takes 1000-1200 PSI to angle a plow on the ground. You still need more pump pressure (as Basher mentioned). Have you checked the pressure on the very first lift...and then checked it again after it won't lift to see if it's dropping off?

Motor still sound strong when it won't lift?

4. gmike

gmike Junior Member

Thanks to both of you. 1500 seems to be all I can get the pressure relief valve is cranked all the way. Yes the motor seem strong all the time. For your reference this was a used unit I bought. I put in new seals installing them as they came out. After considering the fact it would work then diminish in performance I spent awhile looking further at the manual and the IPB. I found that the metal thrust wash for the piston packing stack was on the wrong end of the stack (i.e. it was on the packing nut side instead of the lock ring side). When I fixed this it fixed the problem. I don't know how long it will work at 1500psi but for now it is functional again. Thanks for you input.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll function ok with 1500 PSI even though it's rather far below spec. But you will notice it won't have the lifting power in heavy wet snow and it may struggle in a snow bank. Probably needs a pump or the O-ring under the pump is leaking. It's all whether you want it working to max efficiency or not. :waving:

6. gmike

gmike Junior Member

Colorado - I don't see much wet snow. When we get that it usually melts faster than I can plow it :yow!: