1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The law

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by tonybands, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tonybands

tonybands Member

Is there a law or regulation on when the plow should be on your truck? Mine is never on if there is no snow to push around. I just was wondering if there are any regulations on it.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And who's going to regulate and inforce it?

And why?
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The start of deer season is a good rule...
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed. But I've had a cop tell me that I had to remove my trailer hitch if I wasn't trailering anything. Supposedly illegal. By the way, it's still in there. It's saved me serious damage when being rear ended twice in the last ten years. No damage to the truck.
  5. tonybands

tonybands Member

One reason I can think of is that a big hunk of metal sticking off the front of my truck may increase liability and in this day and age of lawsuits the insurance companies may start requiring it. Just a thought.
    Who might enforce such a law might be the police. :salute:
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Guys have been driving around with the plow on pulling their mowers since sept
  7. dieselss

Ok I'll sue you b/c your driving around with a plow when it's not in season......HAHA
  8. grandview

Contract runs from Nov first to Oct thirty first.
  9. tonybands

tonybands Member

No you would sue me for hitting you with it.:realmad:
    I was just wondering if anybody heard of a regulation not trying to debate it.
  10. dieselss

Again, why would there be?
    And fyi there is a law again having the strobes on on public streets, how often do they get inforced?
  11. grandview

Years ago they got rid of the permanent head gear because it effected the airbags and crumble zone
  12. grandview

If you hit me I'll just dial 888 8888or maybe 444 4444:D
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Most would dial 911 1st
  14. grandview

Inside buffalo joke
  15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Around us our larger plow trucks get pulled if we have plows on the night after a storm. Our bigger trucks run 9 or 10' plows and are too wide for most michigan roads. The cop has told me they will not pull anyone over the night of a storm but the following night if we are out doing clean up they always stop us and give a over length ticket. So we have to run just pick ups for clean up
  16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

MA has laws in place about when you can have the plow on your truck, how long after storms etc. I can't remember the laws, we found them awhile ago. Not enforced on smaller trucks, and seldom on larger trucks from what I have noticed.
  17. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

many jurisdictions do have laws against having a plow on your vehicle a certain period of time after a storm, just as they have laws against driving with your hitch in place if not towing a trailer or driving down the road with unauthorized strobes flashing. these laws vary from town to town, state to state and it's best to check with your local jurisdictions. how often they are Enforced (that's with an E, not an I) is a whole 'nother story. but yes, these laws would be Enforced by the police if they are even aware they exist/chose to Enforce. The odds of them being Enforced is likely very slim.

for some ignorance is bliss, but it is always advised to be aware of the law. as we all know, ignorance to the law is not an excuse... "sorry officer, I didn't know the speed limit was only 35mph, so that absolves me of all responsibility" yeah, nice try.

Along the lines of plow design safety, a federal law was passed in 1993 or 1994 making it illegal for plow manufacturers to continue to produce the conventional style of plows in which the frame, pump, lights and lift arm stay on the vehicle once the plow is removed - hence the advent of the minute mount, unimount, etc. where all that stuff comes off with the plow. reason being is the excessive damage caused in collisions by the protruding lift arm. It was enough of a concern for a federal regulation to be passed preventing plow manufacturers from producing the conventional setup any further.
  18. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

19. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Same in Rochester, I sang the song as I read it! HAHA
  20. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

please keep Celino and Barnes and William Mattar out of the snowplowing business please