1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Lady Who Cried "too Much Salt"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sonjaab, Feb 12, 2004.

1. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Heres a GOOD ONE !

I plow and salt the bank next door. The bank mgr. pissed and
    moaned I use too much salt, magic salt, cal. chloride depending
    on conditions ! "People are tracking it inside she moans!
    (BTW: They have a cleaning service daily too..Its not like the
    snob has to clean it herself!)

The snow on the roof melts/falls off on the side walk during the day and freezes in the late afternoon. So I make sure I have enough melter out there to prevent ice patches after bank hours near the ATM to prevent slip and falls.................

She tells me she will CALL when she wants salting service !
    OK lady...Please write me a short signed letter to cover my

So today no call.....NO salt !

Then I notice the ambulance and fire rescue next door today !

GUESS WHO SLIPPED AND FELL on the UN-salted concrete walk
    and broke her wrist ??????????

2. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

Now what is she gonna say? Every one gets whats coming to them in the long run fortuneatly some people dont have to run that far to find out what they are due!!! :D :D
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Geo good luck not laughing when you talk to her next. I know it would be very hard to not only laugh but say a nice comment about salting. :D :D
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It might be a good idea to give your ins. agent a heads up w/ a copy of the letter she wrote for you in case anything comes of it. I doubt that it will, but you know, forewarned is forearmed.:gunsfiring:
  5. sonjaab

YA know whats funny tho?

She complains that I have used 300 lbs. of the junk brand
    ice melt they buy. It gets wet and poof its gone !!!!!!

I use Magic Salt.......That stuff kicks BUTT and lasts ALL day
    and NITE. 1 application per day keeps my bar walks and
    pavement clean and wet to the pavement !!!!!!!

I have used about 1000 lbs. so far this year !

I showed her the difference in melting power and how long the
    Magic lasts compared to the crap they buy !

Dollar wise and penny foolish I guess !!!!!!

NO....I won't bust her chops or give her a "I told ya so" !!!!!

NOW..I will salt like a madman HOURLY and CHARGE, CHARGE, CHARGE.
    Bet she won't COMPLAIN again!..................
    MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:cry: :cry:

Street: I have that end COVERED in my contract so no lawsuit worries !
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You just gotta go in when she comes back and do the "Say what happened to you?" question. See if she like a little crow for lunch.
  7. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

We had one person that had a neighbor put a bug in her ear that they thought we were using salt and icemelt when we didn't need to and they said her complete yard would die etc etc and she left a nasty message on my voicemail one day and so I contacted my insurance company and the answer was that I had to draw a letter up in the first person stating that I (meaning) her had requested we cut back on the salt and that she would assume complete liability for any lawsuit resulting from the request and they wanted her to sign it, and if she would not the insurance company told me to stop service to the property. when I had the letter drawn up she refused to sign it and when I explained why it works this way she backed down and now she just doesn't talk to me at all but still pays her bill. The insurance company also told me that with out the waver we would not have any chance in a lawsuit and would at least have a leg to stand on with it,(no pun intended) During my career as Manager of Building Services with a large college here in Dartmouth we were often faced with at least three of these lawsuits per year.
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I have to say I've seen what it takes to get salt out of carpet, it's not easy, however that is why they make runners to keep the carpet clean. Faced with the cost of carpet cleaning (we charge $.27 a square foot) or the cost of a slip and fall (god knows how much) I'll take the cleaning every time.
  9. sonjaab

Fester...All the bank floors are ABT tile. They have a laundry
    service that comes once a week to put down runners too!

Her cast sure looks nice and YES I salted like a MADMAN today!
  10. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Property managers can be a joke, i have a condo, i salted twice in late november, they din't like the big chunks of salt dragged in the doors, so they switched to landscapers choice(magnesium) in bags. I charge them $25 cnadian per bag, it takes anywhere from 25 - 30 bags to do with 2 fert. spreaders, we treated 22 out of 31 times in January. They freaked when they got the bill, i even told them it would be very costly back in november. They want their cake and eat it too. not to mention a water main broke in underground parking, so i had to go down 2 times with fert. spreader and lace it with magnesium.
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

All I can say to those who want to opt out of ice control, is, if you fall and break both of your legs, don't come running to me.
  12. sonjaab

HEY ALL..........Talked with the bank mgr. Friday..........While
    admiring her new CAST I asked if she wanted me to apply de-icer
    to the banks walks because they will be closed Sat-Sun. & Mon.

She replys NO PROBLEM Geo...Do what you WANT !!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't forget to PLOW too !.................LOL

:D ........akapayup
  13. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Believe it or not there was a lady here in town who got a new well drilled by the state because of salt contamination. I didn't believe it until I saw the state guys there working.
  14. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Landscapers Choice is not magnesium, and has no substantiative amount of mag in it...... although it is a danged good product. We use it almost exclusively.
  15. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

John Do you know what is actually in it. What is the temp. that it refreezes at?
  16. sonjaab

TTT....Good reading !
  17. sonjaab

HEY ALL.........Good reading huh?

Had to bring this one back up with a few new comments.......

Weather here for the last few days has been constant rain, ice, and now snow !
    I must of deiced/stick plowed the bank walks 5 times in 6 hrs. with their crummy cal. chloride/mag stuff.

Got tired of re applying that junk and whipped out the good old Magic Salt !
    1 shot lay down and it lasted the rest of the day with NO snow or ice building up on any treated areas. Just wet and clear to the pavement/sidewalks !

Manager commented how much better the Magic works than the stuff they supply but her hands are tied by the higher ups !

I get paid by the bag, application, or snow push anyhoo........ :drinkup:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Very common here. Like a little time bomb working its way though the soil. Have had water districts expanded to include whole communities with contaminated wells. This because the highway departments used to store the salt on the ground. Now all the highway dept. have salt buildings so there is little run off into the ground. Had a pizza place close last year because of salt in their well. Town built a new salt building over 10 years ago. However contamination from the old, long ago cleaned up salt pile finally leached its way to their well.
  19. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

How many different products did you use? Not saying you did, but maybe you went overboard.
  20. sonjaab

Well Contamination

I hear you guys that have accounts with wells and the use of salt in some rural areas. I guess any using any salt product for deicing could possibly come back to haunt you down the road.............

My bank account area its all city water so no worries for me there.......

My Alexandria Bay NY place is on a well. But we are closed for the winter anyhoo. But any time I spend there in the winter I use only cal. chloride/mag.

We have a regional NY DOT plow barn/salt storage up the street next to RT. 81. They kept their salt supply uncovered for YEARS and contaminated all the nearby wells. New York State spent major $$$$$ buying out a nearby motel, stores, homes, farm land because of contamination !

All that prime property just off the interstate is ruined and useless.
    There is NO city water nearby........

If my well eventually becomes contaminated NY will buy my property too !

That was all worked out years ago in the settlement with NYS..........!!!!!

A burger franchise wanted to buy a piece of property and build just off the interstate. They sunk several wells, this that and the other and the water won't pass NYS health regulations.

What kills me is that they are putting MILLIONS into building a rural sewer system to keep septic run off out of the St. Lawrence river.

Not to mention all the farm land runoff with cow manure, fertilzer (spl), etc.
    killing off the fish and creating alge blooms in the small bays and prime fishing holes............

They aren't even gonna hook it up to any of the numerous trailer parks, homes, etc. that are ON the river that are actually polluting the river !!!!!!

And still NO city or drinkable water.................sheesh !!!!! :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005