1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The key won't go in!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MATTHEW, Oct 5, 2001.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

I am re-posting this because my original was lost.
    I went to put the key in the drivers side and about 2/3 way in-it stops! Like it is hitting something metal and solid. I cannnot seem to be able to get the handle/lock off. Do I need to go to the dealer and pay a fortune, or can this be done "in-house"?

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

keys

Have you tried another key?
    Before you go calling the dealer and pay a fortune, I would try calling a locksmith in the phone book and ask their opinion.
    I know with my former F150 the ignition was screwed up, the dealer wanted $150 to replace and rekey the lock and a small locksmith who worked out of his home wanted only $50 odvious who I chose.

3. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Try the same key in the passenger's side door lock -- what happens? If it goes in all the way, it's obviously the driver's side door lock and it needs to be replaced. Or, try the key in the glove box's lock (if so equipped).

To replace the door lock cylinders, remove the inner door panel -- it's held on with clips and screws (usually). If you buy an upholstry tool from your parts store (approximately $5), this will be easier. The tool looks like a fork, but with two tines. You place the tool between the panel and the door around the clip and lever it off. Procede to the next one, working your way around the door until it is free. You will also have to remove the window crank (if equipped with manual windows) and possibly the door lever (depending on the year of the truck).

The door lock cylinder is held in the door by a spring clip. This can be removed by sliding it off the cylinder. You will also have to unbolt the lock rod.

Door lock cylinders are available at any good auto parts store for next to nothing. Here in Canada, I'm able to buy a pair (because they're keyed alike, so you can replace both driver's and passenger's side locks and keep using just one key) for about $15. A couple of hours in the driveway and you're done!

DJS

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

This sounds like more troble than calling a locksmith. Besides, won't I have 2 keys now? One for the doors and one for the ignition?