1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Joys of owning an older truck... (AC stopped working)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Crazy_Eddie, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Pro: No car payment.

Con: Little things tend to break.

'94 k1500

My AC stopped working the other day so decided to take a look at it this weekend. At first I figured that I was out of refrigerant, but after popping the hood and kicking the AC on it looks and sounds like the clutch on the compressor doesn't engage.
    I assume the clutch is engaged electrically so I checked the fuses and the 25 amp labeled AC is good.
    On the compressor there are 3 electrical connections, one on the front above the pulley and two on the rear of the compressor. Are one of these used to "turn on" the AC?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

-e

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The thin flat 2 wire plug at the front,near the clutch is use to energize the field coil and pull in the clutch.The two switches on the back are the pressure switches used to cycle the compressor as required.DO NOT energize the field coil to check clutch operation until you have verified there is the proper refrigerant charge in the system,or the compressor may be damaged.A\C systems use the refrigerant to carry the lubricant throughout the system,so if it's empty,you will have no lubrication.

If the system is empty,or low,then the low pressure cycling switch will prevent the clutch from engaging and damaging the compressor.Depressing the shrader valve and checking for pressure is not good,as you can release unnecessary freon into the atmosphere,or it could just be air in the system,which is not good for the compressor.

Find a place to have it properly checked out.Some places will throw the gauges on,and do a quick check for free.The money spent checking it out properly will far outweigh the expensive guesses trying to fix it yourself.

You can also look around yourself,and inspect everything for signs of leakage.You will see a small oil stain,and\or buildup of dirt if you have a leak sometimes.Common leak points are the center section of the compressor,lines,fittings,connections,and the condenser.Take a close look at the condenser for rock damage.Check the wiring around\under the compressor for signs of chaffing.I have seen a lot of them damaged in this area.

I would also not recommend the use of any type of sealers or stop-leak.A lot of places will not repair a small leak,or just throw a can of stop-leak in to prevent future leaks.It will just cause problems.Fix it right the first time.

If you do any repairs which require opening the system up,and recharging,put a new receiver\dryer in when you do.It job is to remove moisture,and contaminants,and they lose their effectiveness after a while.Also have the orifice tube checked\cleaned,and\or replaced.They will get plugged up over time,causing poor performance.

3. Greatlakesplowing

Greatlakesplowing Junior Member

I don't use my AC when Plowing snow....:D