1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The ideal plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

If you guys could create your dream plow, what kind of features would you incorporate into it. I am designing a plow for a presentation so i need some real ideas here, not something like it "plows the lot by itself". So... what really pi$$ you off when it comes to your plow and what would you like to see engineered to create a perfect plow".
  2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

hydraulic jack for those of us who put plows on unpaved surfaces, and they settle, making the plow lower than the hitch on the truck... pain in the arse.
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Stainless wrapped copper high end wire with good insulation.

NO quick disconnects or pigtails. I know the trend is to hook up without having to put your coffee down...F that.

Two piece modular setup Old school...where the plow and lights and pump aren't all one unit.

Longer stock plow markers. I have longer ones on mine. Factory ones are too short. Granted I have a 3" body mod.

A tech department at the manufacturer that will resolve issues. dealers are a drag for such things in my opinion.

In other words. I want them the way they USED to make them.

I have a six year old MD2 and im damned glad I do.
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

My "Old School" MD2 has one.

Its long gone but it did have one. But if I drop the plow off the frame with the shoes on all the way up it just sits there waiting for me to pull in. Nice and balanced.

With the color coded mounted spring loaded pins on the MD2 its a breeze. retract them, pull in, slight adjust of the blade by hand if needed, release the pins and Im good to go.
  5. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Pretty happy with my Boss 9'2"almost mounts itself. Lot of plowing miles with no issues in 3 seasons. Could use dealers who had stock of parts for when you do need something. Right now 2 dealers for 30 days have no Boss fluid. Prefer not to use ATF although it will work. If someone could design plow that could be widened (without the problems of Blizzard)
  6. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Ideal Setup Hmmm!!!

I think the ideal plow setup would incorporate a few things.
    1. It should automatically unhook/hook with the push of a button from INSIDE the truck.
    2. It should have lasers sights on both corners of the plow (for plowing along curbs)
    3. It should have a "chisel" action to break up ice in spots
    4. Quick release pins to replace cutting edge

Just a few thoughts. Hey i should patent some of these:rolleyes: payup
  7. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

com'on guys, who else has complaints about their plow that they would like to see addressed?
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

speed of a boss, with the vaction, combined with a blizzard 810, so you could go from 8 ft to 11. the trip action would need some work, and it would probably weigh about 1500 lbs.
  9. LLM Ann Arbor

Laser sighting and push buttons so you dont have to get your hands dirty.

You'll probably get your wish, and I'll have to sufer through a zillion threads about why the stuff took a dump, and how to fix it.

No offense....but they need to go backwards not forwards. Its not a video game. Its a serious tool.
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ever heard the phrase work smarter not harder?:rolleyes:

The reason why you don't see a zillion posts on how to fix the older plows is because plowers are taking advantage of newer technology these days.

I think you are backwards. Who wants to work harder, when there is so much more newer and advanced equipment to make our lives easier and more productive.
  11. LLM Ann Arbor

The reason why you dont see a zillion posts here about the older units is because they arent over engineered with bells and whistles and they dont break down and if they do they are easy to figure out and repair. Just like back in the day when you could change a spark plug on a car. Nowadays you cant even find the spark plugs half the time. And do all the computers and electronic gizmos that break down all the time on your truck make life easier? Or harder when they go bad?

Im not worried about getting out to spend ten minutes three times a year to hook up my plow and blade. I leave it on all season. Its a plow truck.

Hey if you want laser sighting, gps, a dvd player and a coffee maker on your plow...go for it. I prefer the older school simple reliable units myself.

Unfortunately...at some point Ill be buying one of the new units, and Ill feel the same way then as I do now.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you want to live in the past go for it. I prefer to take adavtage of newer technology to make myself more productive and confortable while working.
  13. LLM Ann Arbor

Well. I like things the way they were, and simple, and reliable. Ya got me there.
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I too am a fan of using technology, but I'm not sure how high tech you really want to get on something that gets smacked into curbstones in the process of regular use. Laser sights on the sides to find teh edges I think isn't a very good idea, too likely a spot for destruction. Persoanlly I have no issues finding the edge of my plow when I'm in a storm...not sure how much good they'd do since you generally can't see the ground anyway. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would be helpful...sort of like the laser sights on table saws and such...you'll do a significantly better job long term if you actually know your equipment well enough to be able to follow a pencil line on the board you're cutting instead of relying on a laser sight to do it for you...what happens when the lens gets covered in sawdust?

But it might not be a bad idea to have some sort of optical alignment system to help the noobs line up their push plates with the plow. I know the first time I had to put on my Minue Mount 1 it was more like a 30 minute mount. Its only about 3-5 minutes now.

Maybe incorporate the electrical hookups to the truckside frame so when you do drive into the plow correctly it does the hookup for you. There could be either a remote switch in the cab to release the plow when you're done or you could get out to release it. When the pins are released thoguh they trip a catch to hold them in the outward position...when you drive into the plow correctly the push plates trip the catch and release the mounting pins so that when the holes on the push plates line up correctly the pins pop in without exiting the truck. At the same time the electrical connectors are tied into the plow and all you have to do is turn on your controller and drive away. Sort of like the big loaders at lumber yards that have drive in/drive out front end attachments. I came up with the automatic pin idea while typing the part about the electrical connectors.

I'd like to see a built in mechanical jack to hoist the frame to better meet the truck push plates (with the drop down prop rod its practically already there...just need a ratchet on the thing like an old school bumper jack.

Another item I'd like would be a centering spot or button for the controller. I have a fishstick and have to mentally adjust for the overrun when moving the plow side to side. Not sure if the joysticks do this or not.

Lastly I found it very nice on my old underhood pump (speedcaster?) Fisher plow to be able to push the joystick gently and get a very slow movement of the rams...the electronic controls are not variable speed, they're either off or rnning full tilt. Makes me nervous sometimes when I'm lifting the plow initially and taking up the slack in the chain. It would be nice if the Fishstick allowed for variable output control...maybe just a fast/slow switch on the side or something since variable pressure electronic pads are somewhat more complex and likely less reliable.
  15. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

There are a lot of good ideas in here. Thanks guys, keep 'um coming!
  16. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah. lets have the electronics package hook itself up too. Then we will never have to get out of the truck, and the birds can come cover us with leaves.
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ann you seam to have a problem with technology..

So, to make things easer for your self why don't you sell that computer controlled truck
    you own and get a horse drawn plow?
    You can sell your single stage blower and use a wooden shovel.

"Work smarter not harder"
  18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Wouldn't this sort of thing help resolve your aversion to pigtail connectors sticking out of your grill?

I just don't get your deal man. Why are you so afraid of new things? If you like your 20 year old plow with the frame permanently attached to your truck and the underhood belt driven pump, thats fine. Take care of it and you'll probably get another 20 years out of it...but learn to relax in the face of progress. Not everyone here wants to leave the plow on their trucks all winter long and kill their gas mileage, front end, tires and run their powertrain hot. I drive my truck to work every day and need the plow to do the driveway...its strictly a money saver for me, not a money maker.

Tell us a little more about your truck and plow if you please. Are your windshield wipers electrically operated or do you flip them by hand? Does your plow use hydraulics to move the blade up, down and side to side or do you get out and chane the angle by hand? God forbid it have an electric starter motor or do you actually get out and hand crank it? Do you use your television remote control or do you get up to change the channel?

What the hell are you doing using a computer and posting on the internet? It would be alot better if you wrote letters in ink and walked them down to the post office. Not easier, not a more efficient use of your time...just better because its the old way.

The only way any product ever improves in this world is if people are disattisfied with them the way they are and they branstorm some new ideas. Most of those ideas are not useful to the consumer and generally don't make it to production, some are good and useful ideas that make people's live easier.

Personally I like the idea of removing the plow off my truck when I'm done with it. I'm a big believer in having the right tools for the job, using them and then putting them away when I'm done with them. If I can spend less time not only connecting things to allow me to use that tool, but also less time maintaining that tool then I have more time to spend either making money or to spend with my family.
  19. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Oh so now everybody wants to jumps all over me for the "laser sight idea"
    HELLO these are just suggestions for the ideal plow setup. Try saying something constructive instead of picking apart other peoples posts. :nono:
  20. LLM Ann Arbor

Welp....I dont do this as a side business like you do so I dont have to take the plow off to drive to my real job. I have a car to run estimates, service calls or other business including personal.

I have a 99 Dodge with a 2000 Meyer MD2 setup. Its the last of the old school style plows that I can tell.

I put the blade and frame on in late fall, and it stays there till April. I can take the blade off and put it back on in less than ten minutes so sometimes its just the frame while I do Lawn care, until Im sure the snow isnt flying again.

Im just leary of these one piece units is all. Eventually I will have to break down and buy one, but my unit is mint condition and well maintained.

If I did this as a "side job" , and had a 40,000 grocery getter with a dvd player, gps, and a coffee maker maybe Id like a new plow. I dunno. But till now, Ill enjoy the old school deal.