1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Highway & The Plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JMAC3, Jan 24, 2011.

1. JMAC3

JMAC3 Junior Member

Hi everyone I have been plowing for approx 4 years now. Just my own stuff and some family. A long driveway,and a small office space. Because the office is commercial I must get it done and have at times been forced to take the truck with the plow to work. Approx 25 miles each way. How bad do you think this is on the front end? I know how bad it is on gas, but was concerned about the front end. I have a 2007 GMC 1/2 ton with 6L MAX pkg. 7.5 Fisher RD plow. With 400lbs salt in the bed as a ballast.

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I doubt you will have a catastrophic failure but you will notice accelerated wear on ball joints, end links, bearings, etc. Basically, every part of the front end will wear out faster.

I usually put 90-110 miles per storm on my truck and all of it is with the plow on. I have noticed that I replace ball joints about twice as often as other similar trucks without plows.

Perhaps some of the Chevy guys will come along and point out some areas of the vehicle that you should keep an eye on.

3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Well I drive 25 miles just to get to my route. By the time I do my route go home and then go do all my reality stuff the day after I easly can put on 150+ miles, things wear out but thats part of the biz. There was another thread a about a week ago with this topic. I will look for the link.

4. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a great thread. Lots of good info.