1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The higher the better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Feb 3, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`m raising the truck 3", and I`m thinking about the angle the Fisher blade is sitting when plowing. I know some of you guys have some serious jacked up rigs, but wouldn`t it at least scrape a little better, with the edge at a little higher angle? :rolleyes:
  2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

how are you lifting it ?

body lift or suspension ?

either way 3 in isnt going to chAnge things too much

may trip a little easier

mine is approx a 4 or 5 in done with springs and rear blocks

with 35 in tires

i had to extend the ears on the plow, works fine
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the angle of attack will change the ability to scrape.......but if your a frame isnt level your blade wont remain level while angling left to right.
  4. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

I plow with a bidirectional tractor therefore the blade is 4ft in front of me. The angle that the blade hits the ground makes a huge difference. I constantly change the angle depending on the situation.
  5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

You will end up with the trailing edge of the blade 2 or 3 inches off the ground, that's why you have to change or keep the level of the A frame somewhat level. Raise the ears don't lower the frame mount.
  6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Or the mounting tabs, I mean, or whatever you call them, the tabs that the pins go through.
  7. danno

danno Senior Member

The mid 90-s Dodge truck usually sits higher than others. But I think a 3" suspension lift won`t be too bad. I think it puts the cutting edge better. Maybe :confused:
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you raise the back of the plow(were it hooks to the truck) it will make the point that your plow piviots on when you angle it no longer perpendicular to the pavment. Instead of pivoting left and right it will also try to piviot up and down slightly.

If your plow is on your truck now raise it up all the way. The a frame is no longer parallel to the road right? Now angle it all the way to the left. Left is much closer to the road than the right is right? See what I am talking about?

It dosnt matter if you lift your truck to the moon. You want you a frame as close to parallel to the ground as possible. Unless you are never going to angle your blade.......then it wont matter. Or if you always run with it angled to one side, your edge will just wear down till eventually it level with the ground. If you have you a frame at an angle to the ground you will wear a big smile in your edge.
  9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

To answer your initial question, NO. Everyone has told you what will happen and how to fix it a couple of times. You are right a Dodge sits high to begin with, now add 3" and 35" tires and you've got a problem with the angle and again NO it won't scrape better nor will it "put the cutting edge better" whatever that means. If it was better, the manufacturers would make them so that they had a radical angle on the A frame to begin with. If you don't understand this concept, do a search, last year there were some pictures posted on here that will cover all your questions and show you exactly what to do the remedy the problem. When the trailing edge of your blade in the down position is 3" off the ground, all it will help you do is to make another pass to clean up what you didn't plow on the 1st pass.
  10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

What year fisher is it.....Unless it's newer with the big center pin I wouldn't worry about it. The older design with the framework under the A frame and the small pivot pin has a lot of play in it...especially after a couple years of use. It'll set flat...might not handle different grades while plowing as good but I'd bet it'll sit on the edge. A friend of mine has an F350 with a 6" lift...he puts his stock tires on for the winter and runs a factory Fisher X no modifrying necessary, he hasnt broke it in 2 years and it works fine.

ON another note changing the attack angle of the edge will make it scrape better, A fisher X scrapes better then the old blade did and the edge has a lot steeper attack angle like a municiple plow, on wet pavement it'll actually chatter. If you've ever used an 11' Viking or something similar they scrape anything up, yes theres a lot of weight there, but run it next to a MC series fisher 10' and you can see the difference, it comes from the attack angle.
  11. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

12. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, I have the MM I setup. I have a 2" lift to level the truck. I`m also running 235/85/16s all around in the winter.
    I`ll hook up the plow and test it. Like SNOW WARRIOR said, maybe with the MM I setup, there might be room to play.
    Come to think of it, the truck sits about the same height now as a 2500 Dodge with HD springs.