Snow Plowing Forum banner

The 'head scratcher' for the day.....

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bribrius 
#1 ·
So this morning, I'm headed down a main street here in the city, and in the MIDDLE of the lane, is a 4' x 2' pile of snow, probably a good 18" high. It was obvious it came from the driveway infront of it, but holy shat, it was like it was a joke or something, yeah, im gunna plow this guys driveway, then put the snow right here in the road.
Made me laugh. If there wasn't cars behind me, I woulda snapped a picture. My Boss plow that sits 2" off the ground knocked most of it back in the driveway for em.

The home owner is a customer at my store, I can't wait to ask him who plows.

It was classic, thought i'd share.

#2 ·
Although thats a bit extreme I know around here some plowers are becoming (or always have been) just plain lazy and inconsiderate. I understand sometimes theres trails along a street when moving snow accross to the curb but lately, Ive been seing snow mounds, huge ice balls (like 20 inch diamter) in the middle of the road and people basically just pushing the snow out of the driveway and angling it into the street.

It looks bad on all of us and it makes it difficult to travel down some of these streets. I know personally even though im new to the industry I might be a bit anal about cleaning up my messes but I try not to leave anything in the street (unless i see the plow coming down like a block away)

Sometimes I think people that drive large vehicles (plowdrivers.. . . . ) think everyone does and that everyone can drive through snow banks. . . . LOL

tymusic

#3 ·
had a municipal plow truck driver stop me in one of my neighborhoods overnight. I do 1 driveway in the back of this culdesac, and there's a guy who plows 5 or 6 drives on this street. He ALWAYS (and I'm not exaggerating) pushes the snow across the street from each account and leaves a HUGE pile on the edge of the road (lots of snow from the long driveways). The municipal guy would have ripped me a new one if it had been me doing it. The guy doing those driveways leaves a heck of a mess in this neighborhood, and like you said it makes us all look bad. Not only is this illegal, but there's no effort being made to even get the snow onto the lawn & off the road (that was the city guy's bigger beef)

#4 ·
Last storm I saw a guy just leave a huge pile in the middle of the street.:dizzy: I have 2 methods on pushing into the street. The first and my favorite is if the city plows havent been out yet, I push it into the street, then get out into the street, I lower my blade until it just touches the snow on the street (we're talking like 4 inches still in the streets, plows havent even touched the street), then hit the plie with a little force and it goes all over the street, then the plows take it away.

My other method (if the streets are plowed, is push into the street, leaving the pile infront of the drive way, then angle the plow towards the curb, and plow down the street a few houses, and get rid of it that way.

I hate the methond of just pushing it streight across the street with the plow still on the ground, if I ever do that, once im in the street I pick the blade up alittle so im not down to bare street. To me, if theres snow on the street, leave it snowy, if its bare leave it bare.

I got into an accedent this year because of that, I was driving my car, at night, a day after a storm and a guy had just got done plowing a drive way and left a trail going across the street. Well its a full 24hrs after a storm, the roads are dry and clear, and its a 50mph speed limit. Didnt see the trail, and it spun my car right around and I hit a gard rail. Before you guys say, well you should have slowed down, well, its right after a hump in the road so you only see that part of the road as your going over it.

#6 · (Edited)
Little Jon;475343 said:
Last storm I saw a guy just leave a huge pile in the middle of the street.:dizzy: I have 2 methods on pushing into the street. The first and my favorite is if the city plows havent been out yet, I push it into the street, then get out into the street, I lower my blade until it just touches the snow on the street (we're talking like 4 inches still in the streets, plows havent even touched the street), then hit the plie with a little force and it goes all over the street, then the plows take it away.

My other method (if the streets are plowed, is push into the street, leaving the pile infront of the drive way, then angle the plow towards the curb, and plow down the street a few houses, and get rid of it that way.

I hate the methond of just pushing it streight across the street with the plow still on the ground, if I ever do that, once im in the street I pick the blade up alittle so im not down to bare street. To me, if theres snow on the street, leave it snowy, if its bare leave it bare.

I got into an accedent this year because of that, I was driving my car, at night, a day after a storm and a guy had just got done plowing a drive way and left a trail going across the street. Well its a full 24hrs after a storm, the roads are dry and clear, and its a 50mph speed limit. Didnt see the trail, and it spun my car right around and I hit a gard rail. Before you guys say, well you should have slowed down, well, its right after a hump in the road so you only see that part of the road as your going over it.
:rolleyes: funny stuff,,,,,

As both of your methods are against the law and you fell victim to it your self...

#7 ·
SnoFarmer;475350 said:
:rolleyes: funny stuff,,,,,

As both of your methods are against the law and you fell victim to it your self...
HERE HERE
:D :D :D

#9 ·
why would you even push the snow into the road in the first place let alone try to spread it out on over the road so no one can tell, kinda like sweeping dirt under the rug.

new years day i get to one of my clients house in a $500G+ neighbor hood and the plow guy across the street has very obviously pushed all of the snow from a 14inch storm from his drive right on to the middle of my clients front lawn?!?!? there was a pile 6 feet tall and 12 feet wide :mad:

what the heck is wrong with pushing the snow to the end of the drive then pulling into the street and then pushing it back up into their yard.

#10 ·
terrapro;475775 said:
why would you even push the snow into the road in the first place let alone try to spread it out on over the road so no one can tell, kinda like sweeping dirt under the rug.
probably just a second-rate brand of snow removal.

terrapro;475775 said:
what the heck is wrong with pushing the snow to the end of the drive then pulling into the street and then pushing it back up into their yard.
It takes too long to do it the right way. I mean, why spend EXTRA time to leave a quality job when you can make more money by getting to the next place sooner?!? :rolleyes: Sarcasm is so unbefitting me, but sometimes it's warranted

#11 ·
This is more of a question than a statement. On a few residential accounts whose driveways sit in shadows, or in canyons, and we have very little melting going on, we sometimes backdrag or push out snow onto the street right where the driveway meets the road. We then plow very neatly along curb so that their yard is holding the driveway snow. Do people have problems with that? Do you consider that illegal? I will have to look up our municipal code, but chime in if you have an opinion. :salute:Thanks

Greg

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
montanag;475869 said:
This is more of a question than a statement. On a few residential accounts whose driveways sit in shadows, or in canyons, and we have very little melting going on, we sometimes backdrag or push out snow onto the street right where the driveway meets the road. We then plow very neatly along curb so that their yard is holding the driveway snow. Do people have problems with that? Do you consider that illegal? I will have to look up our municipal code, but chime in if you have an opinion. :salute:Thanks

Greg
I agree...there are some accounts where you just have to "feather" (some) of the driveway snow into the windrows already alongside the roadway...nothing wrong with that in my book and have not encountered any flak about doing so by any municipal operators in my area...and there have been many encounters with same while out plowing. The bottom line is to be considerate as to "whom" or "what" is receiving the unwanted white stuff...lol
Don't be a flagrant jerk about it and most will accept that it's just part of the process of clearing mother nature's "dump" upon us...

#13 ·
montanag;475869 said:

Greg
other than dropping your blade on public roads i dont see anything wrong with that. if you are taking care of the customers snow plus some from the roadway i think you will have you butt covered.

#14 ·
terrapro;475775 said:

new years day i get to one of my clients house in a $500G+ neighbor hood and the plow guy across the street has very obviously pushed all of the snow from a 14inch storm from his drive right on to the middle of my clients front lawn?!?!? there was a pile 6 feet tall and 12 feet wide :mad:

coming from someone who pushes snow into the street. sometimes you have to. long and big drives have lots of snow. you get to the point where you run out of room to put it. pushing to the end of the drive and back onto their lawn only works if they have a lawn there. if they have a mailbox or in some of mine nothing but trees you have no where to put the snow. has to go into the street. then you work it from there to get it out of the street. not fun actually it is time consuming and with on coming traffic can be quite the headache.

#16 ·
nickplowing1972;476002 said:
IF YOU GET CAUGHT PUSHING SNOW INTO THE STREET HERE IN PHILADELPHIA ITS A $300 FINE AND YES THERE ACTUALLY ARE GUYS DRIVING AROUND IN LIL CHEROKEES CHECKING ON US PLOWERS:rolleyes:
it is in maine too. think it is illegal everywhere in the snow states.

#17 ·
Why do we push that one into the street? Necessity, its the only place to go with it. Period, so then comes the question, do you push it across the street and on to someone elses property or get rid of it along the edge of the street. I have never encounterd a problem with my methonds, Ive had both city plow guys and cops watch me do it, no complaints. They see that we are doing the best we can to get rid of the snow with the layout that we have to deal with. And no, we dont do it this way to do it quicker and move on to the next place, because like someone already said, it takes longer and is more of a pain to get rid of it once its in the street.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Little Jon;476035 said:
Pretty much around here, if your being a jerk about it then they will get ya, if you are trying to be very nice with it and considerite, they dont care.
i just try to be safe when doing that and try not to leave much for trails in the road and make sure it is clean when im done.
unfortunatley some people drive like fruitcakes and dont worry about their or my safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.