1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The "Green" Revolution

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by indplstim, Dec 29, 2008.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

2. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Idiots. Don't they realize that sand is just as bad. The amount of sand they are using is probably just as much as salt. What they don't realize that salt breaks down and can be washed away. Sand will flow down the sewer system and go into the Puget Sound and create sediment. Yeah that's much better, lets fill up the Sound with Sand sediment with all the oils and stuff in it, that's real smart. Freakin' morons.

3. D DeSantis

D DeSantis Member

This should be all they need to abandon this stupid idea.

-Dan

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Seattle on average doesn't get many big snowfalls, most are 5" or under (according to what I could find) so what they're doing would work for the normal snowfall they get. However they need to realize that this doesn't work in all situations.

5. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

isnt the pudget sound salt water? It is connected to the pacific, is it not? Why would dumping more salt into it hurt it? lol.

6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

We dont usually get a ton of snow here in Indianapolis either. But when we do the main roads and interstates come to a halt. Just the other day we had freezing rain with less than 1/8'' accumliation and there were over 120 accidents in one night. 465 the main interstate cirling Indianapolis was shut down both ways during this small 'event'. I can hardly imagine going out if the road crews didnt plow all the way down and didnt put down salt.

7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we dont salt here at all, some gravel but most of it is just snow packed/ice roads. everyone runs snow tires and cops have a hard time with there crownvics.

i personaly am very glad we dont salt, it eats away at cars/trucks and plows...not a lick of rust on my truck or anything else i can think of.

this is what most/all roads look like here all winter long
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

That's fine, but you also live in Alaska dude. What, population 10 and it probably snows everyday, come on. Totally different.

9. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Anchorage 278,700
    Juneau city and borough 30,700

and that's just 2 city's population. their not small as most people think.

heres where i get my info
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/states/AK.html

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

where i live, anchorage is closer to 300,000 right now and sees even more commuter traffic every day.

thanks for some real info insted of poppoing off at the mouth like that jackass above.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Whoa...no need to start calling names like "jackass"...that's pretty imature. ya think.

But I agree...ALASKA IS DIFFERENT FROM SEATLE WASHINGTON.

Those streets in Seatle look like crap and the people of seatle most likely hate it...they need to lay down Ice melter, and plow some more.

12. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I guess the difference I see is Indianapolis has closer to a million people if you include all the surrounding areas. There is no way you can compare that to Anchorage with roughly a 1/3 of the people. Along with that everyone in Alaska is used to bad weather/snow/ice driving conditions. Like i said above any snow or ice and people cant handle it most of the time. Idiots driving 50-60 mph on the interstate in freezing rain leads to havoc. On top of that no one here uses snow chains I dont even think its legal due to the damage to the roads and so on. Its apples and oranges, major metropolitan ares must do a good job of keeping the roads clean, that's the point; and if this kind of practice continues and proliferates, it will put alot of us out of a job

13. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Bump

Bump it up what do you think??

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

For the little snow Seattle gets and how inexperienced the population is at driving in it, they'd be better off salting the crap out of it and moving on.

Now Alaska... people expect to drive in snow when they move there. If the pace of life is such that they all just drive a little slower, then I think they are better off even if you can't bill a ton of salt. Heavy snow, colder temps, seems like they've made a decision that everyone there agrees with -more power to 'em.

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

wow

that made my day

17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's just f**ked up! Street ping pong!