1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The "Green" Revolution

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by indplstim, Dec 29, 2008.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have to say, I am partial to plowing and de-icing myself. I would rather see the states and citys spend there winter budget in other ways. teach these people to drive and there would not be a problem. clear off the heavy storms and leave it be.

Around here it takes so long for the city to plow the main streets most of the snow has been blown away by traffic and there are nice lanes in the snow from vehicles, no need to plow.

3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

"We decided not to utilize salt because it's not a healthy addition to Puget Sound."

I know I am a midwesterner and know nothing, but isn't Puget Sound SALT WATER????

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

yes, yes it is.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I agree its idiotic but its everythng else that is in the salt that they are worried about

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I am sick of hearing about green this and green that. The only green I want to hear about from now on is MONEY!

7. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

I am sick and tired of these green people

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Where will you hunt and fish if these "green" people didn't keep you from ruining your environment?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

lololololololololololol

Huh?

You just have to love these enviro-nazis. Can't use salt because it will harm the salt water in the ocean. But we can use sand that will end up in that same water, and the sewers, and the catch basins, and the rivers and the streams and the air, etc, etc.

And exactly how much more does the mining and cleanup of said sand cost when it's all finished? How much more carbon is spewed into the air by cleaning it all up?

Not to mention, they 'plow' the streets to SUV's and 4WD's can make it through, but these same whack jobs don't want anyone to own these types of vehicles because of their 'carbon' footprint BS.

And chains don't damage pavement more than steel scraper edges?

I thought Kalifornia was the land of fruits and nuts. Liberalism at its finest.

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

That is Not Green!

but hey atleast you can leave a cop if hes after you...LOL

11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

"A 2005 study focusing on the Northeast, where massive amounts of road salt are applied annually, found that some streams were one-quarter as salty as sea water, and were killing animals and fish. A second study that year found that the use of rock salt to melt street ice had increased a hundredfold nationally since 1940."

Being a commercial salmon fisherman this is of some concern to me. Lower 48 fish stocks need all the help they can get. (Don't get me wrong I am not a hippy.) I was not able to find this study does anyone know where to get more info on this? On the other hand I don't see how anything could be living anywhere that there is road runoff from Seattle.

Here in Juneau we dump almost all our plowed up snow into the ocean ( the rest just melts off and runs down they storm drain). The Harbors wanted to dredge out one of the dumping spots to add a new dock or something but they found that the dirt was Haz Mat. That was a while ago and I think they gave up for lack of a place to put it. I think this has more to do with crappy cars leaking out there fluids as they go down the road than anything else. So it is a problem and I am glad that there trying to help, but people in Seattle can't drive for sh..t. I think they need the salt. My 2 cents

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Bump it up what do you all think??

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

In 1940 No One spread rock salt on roads around here. They used sand up till the mid seventy's. So that study was probably a Gov. one that is useless, but makes the liberal feel gooders happy.

The salt use is demanded by the public. No one runs dedicated snow tires here, cept my brother in law. Most people "Have" to go every where when it snows, (even Blizzards) so they need roads plowed/salted 24/7, so they can get home before there starbucks is cold.
    Heck a Mayor of Chicago got the boot for not handling a snow storm. If anyone thinks a Bams loving, jordache wearing fruit loop in his saab is going to tolerate unplowed streets, and wagon trail roads there crazy. People are way to uptight in these parts to handle any inconvenience, that's for damn sure.

As far as salting the **** out of private parking lots, thats courtesy of the lawyers. IMO its all way over kill, but I cant complain, salting brings in a nice chunk of change.