1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Great Truck Storage Debate

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bad Luck, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Ok, my truck is an extended cab short bed that I use daily for personal use, plowing, and play. I carry with me most times, a hydraulic Craftsmen floor jack, 1- 19 inch tool box packed with lots of tools. 1 Husky tool bag packed with lubricants, plug kits, electircal connections, tie downs etc, etc, etc. Jumper cables, and two six inch pieces of 4x4. Under my rear seat is a blanket, first aid kit, spare plow hose & solenoid, CD Case, "emergency bag" with tow straps - water - contractor bags - gloves - flash light - 3lb BFH (Big Friggin Hammer), a sweat shirt, a fleece, and a rain coat.

I hate hearing things rattle around under my rear seat so I usually just toss everything under the tonneu cover but this is begining to irk me as well becasue there's just too many boxes banging around under there and when I use the bed I usually have to move them around to fit whatever it is I'm hauling around. I was thinking of getting a flush mount truck box to sit under my bed cover but then I'd loose that bed space for when I throw plywood, ATV's and such in the bed. I'd also have to undo the cover to gain access. Then I was thinking of getting one big tool box and putting everything in that and leaving it strapped to the head wall of the bed, but then I kind of lose the security of having a larger locking box. I'm not a fan of those wheel well boxes because most of the ones I have see actually come past the wheel well and my 4 wheeler would not fit past them. I saw some black Husky 26 inch tool boxes which look cool but they are steel and I'm concerned about eventual corrosion. What the hell do I do? :help: :dizzy:

What do you guys use and what are some of the down falls of using what you use?

Later,
    BL

2. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

A little help organizing

Hi. I am a landscaper and I need to carry around a lot of tools. My current work truck has a big tool cabinet across the whole truck behind the cab and in front of the dump bed. It's great, but you only have a pickup. I used a pickup as my daily driver and work truck for a few years when I started out. I eventually rounded up several small Jo-Box type toolboxes and had one for each type of job, like retaining walls, patios, repairs, lawn work and such. At the beginning of each day I just would back the truck into the garage and load up the approprite box for the job and go. The back of the truck could be left empty to go pick up supplies. I don't know if this will help, but it's how I started and It worked for me.

3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hi...how's it going? This is a great question, as I have also (for years) tried to figure out the best way to organize my truck to suit.....ME!

However, since everyone is different, I found that I had to pick and choose the options that people were giving me in order to find the best fit. So, for what it's worth, I'll give you my set up.

First of all, I do drywall finishing, so I have a Cap on the back of my truck. This keeps everything dry and relatively secure. This probably won't work for you, seeing as how you need to get an ATV back there.

But, when it comes to my Snowplow "gear", I carry many of the same things you carry. So, what I did was, I went to Walmart and bought the largest "Rubber-Maid" container they had with a lid and put it in the ext.cab part of my truck. This way, everything stays quiet and in one spot and I don't have to take up valuable space in my truck bed. Also, I can take it out whenever I don't need it (like at the end of the season) or when I need to haul my daughter around with her car seat.

I like this set up VERY much, because it keeps things in order and my cab still stays relatively clean and dust free. So, I hope this helps. But in either case, let us know what you decide.:nod:

4. westwind

westwind Member

I also use a durable rubermaid tote, the most rigid one they make. You can lock this, however there is no way to secure it in the truck unless you drill.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I use weatherguard's largest single lid saddle box. It fits everything I need on me most of the time. Additionally I have a couple of small duffel bags I keep some "emergency" items in and I place them behind my seat(I have a regular cab). You cannot beat weatherguard boxes IMO. My current one is 6 years old and still works great... though it is becoming an eye sore(the clear coat is beginning to flake off) So my next truck will get a new tool box as well. Have you though about weather guards lo-side boxes, they sit over the side rails, and I believe they do not extend past the wheel wells inside the bed. They have several different sizes... but with this option you would have to have you cover custom made... I did at one time have a custom cover on a dodge dakota that had a saddle box... but that was 2 trucks ago. Worked out great... I had the easy access storage of the tool box, and still had the bed covered.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  7. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

I just got my weather guard saddle box today. Seems like a very tough box. So far im very pleased with it. Next, I need the lo-side boxes.:rolleyes:

8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I also purchased Weatherguard's box like Frozen. Almost a year old, would never buy another. I tried Delta, Husky, and their aluminum boxes would work good for about 2 years. Weatherguard is commercial grade. You get what you pay for.