1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The great debate on salt and concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WIPensFan, Jan 3, 2010.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Tell me why or why not to put rocksalt on concrete.
  2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

when every paver company says not to use it on their pavers I think that is reason enough
  3. WIPensFan

Aren't clay pavers supposed to be able to handle salt? Or am I thinking of something else?
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

So......why not on a concrete driveway?
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They key thing to rememeber here is proper application rates.

Anything used for de-icing (altering the freezing temperature of water, or in this case the snow/ice on the pavement) can and will destroy pavement and concrete due to increasing the freeze/thaw cycles. As I said, it all comes down to applying said de-icer properly.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not necessarily.

Using a deicer can very easily reduce or eliminate refreeze.
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The melting temperature can be reduced based on the concentration of the salt in solution. A weaker concentration will have less affect on the melting temperature than a stronger concentration. Hence the reason that more salt is required as the temperature decreases.

The problem arises when enough salt is used to melt off the snow, but creates a melting temperature that is close to that of the pavement temperature. If day/night thermal cycles pass that temperature, you end up with a daily freeze/thaw cycle which will inevitably result in damage to the pavement. Increasing the solution concentration would help lower the melting point and prevent refreezing.

Salt (NaCl), MagCloride (MgCl), and Calcium Chloride (CaCl) all have different melting points when in solution. The concentrations required to reach a certain MP will be different for each compound.
  8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Put it on the concrete because if you put it on the grass it will kill it.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No, it isn't.

"All" the scientists and politicians are telling us that manmade global warming is true, do you believe it?

Patently false.

Sorry Johnny, you are wrong.

Wrong again.

And I can prove it by looking out my window. The county I live in has idiots in the Road Commission. They apply the same amount of salt per lane mile at 30* when the sun is coming out as the middle of Jan when the temp is 10* and it is snowing at an inch per hour. So by your statement, our concrete highways would be reduced to gravel by now.

Salt WILL NOT harm properly installed and cured concrete. Even the link you posted from the Salt Institute says that.

Or maybe I'm just dang lucky because I have yet to have a customer fault me with destroying their concrete by using salt or any other de-icer in the past 20 years, have to ask my father if he had any before that, we started salting in '79 so we should have some history of problems if your statements are accurate.

Not if he used Beat juice.
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You've obviosuly never driven on our Illinois roads. In many cases, gravel would be an improvement. :dizzy:

That being said, I don't buy into the 'salt use will ruin concrete' when both are properly installed and applied. It's when you have people that literally 'gravel' a parking lot with salt or it is poorly finished that I beleive causes the problems.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  11. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I'll have to take some pictures for you guys to see what rock salt does to natural stone and pavers.

And yah I do believe the companies Mark. Just because science is now political, especailly with global warming doesn't mean I give up on everything that is said :laughing: I mean seriously buddy not everything in the world is a conspiracy lmao....the paver companies and calcuim chloride companys are not having secret meetings and coming up with accusations to put out the rock salt industry.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway. I buy my calcuim chloride for like $11/50LB bag, I know I make a hell of a lot more then then $11 on my concrete drives, pavers and natural stone for applying de-icing materials and can upsell the calcuim because its safer.
  12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Gee I better stop putting salt on my driveway then, these last 12 years of putting salt on might damage my twenty year old driveway, oh by the way the driveway still look good no pitting or chipping...ummm maybe I'll stop dropping my heavy plow on it also and use a shovel? Come on guys use common sense when you apply.
  13. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

15 yr old Florida girls, you are all so opinionated :rolleyes::D
  14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

These Threads are like Beating you head against a wall....TORTURE!!!!!...:dizzy::dizzy:
  15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Salt does not hurt pavers....

Please do........even then I might not believe it.

You see, we have a large pad of pavers directly in front of two of our salt bins. They have been in place for many years. We used left over remnants from paver jobs so this pad consists of just about every flavor of paver and paver manufacture. Piles of salt live on top of this pad......short doubles grind in the salt as this is the pivot point for their axles before they dump in the bins. Large loaders continually scrapes salt off them to load trucks. Piles of salt here and there partying all winter long on these pavers. You couldn't find a more adverse environment for pavers than this pad. Oh, and it was also never sealed.

During the Spring, Summer & Fall you can inspect these all you want and will find ZERO adverse affect from the salt.
  16. Matson Snow

Roads are crap because.....Highway and road construction are a BILLION dollar business and employ Alot of people ..They are made to fail...Can we say STIMULUS...payup
  17. WIPensFan

TCLA, how about a picture of that?
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Let me see what I can do.........I'm swamped with paperwork right now.....but I will post it.

:::even though you are a Penguins fan:::::p
  19. Matson Snow

Me Too...Im swamped...:laughing::dizzy:
  20. WIPensFan

I have a lot of unused pavers sitting out back of my shop and have always thought about doing something like what you said you have. Just wondering what it would look like. Also interested to see it under a salt pile!

Paperwork?...WTF is that!

Pens have lost 5 straight :cry: You should be :laughing: