1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Fisher Quest continues....Newbie SOS!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Skip584, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Skip584

Skip584 Junior Member

In my quest for fisher conventional pushplates to fit my 1988-1998 chevy K1500, I am being forced to look to other options. I haven't seen any come up on ebay for quite some time. When a plow setup comes up that would work, they either won't ship or won't seperate. I would like to get this plow on my truck so I can at least move it. It currently is setting in the middle of my lawn, both a destraction to the neighbors and an eye sore to my wife. I am looking into other mount options. I have considered buying a boss mount and welding the fisher pushbeam assembly that I have (off of a 1978 chevy it was cut off with torch on the pushplates right behind the pushbeam) I am now considering trying to get fisher pushplates off of a 3/4 or 1 ton. I went to fishers website and looked at the pushplates for the 88-98 chevy K-series trucks. The pictures all look almost identical with the ton truck having and extra torque strut assembly, I assume that there is another weldment on this side pushplate. The overall length of the pushbeam is the same on the 1513 and the 1510. I know that boss snow plows that I am familiar with uses the same undercarriage on the 1/2, 3/4 in the classic (88-98 chevy bodystyle) Are there other difference that anyone knows of in these pushplates other than the additional torque strut on the ton plates and maybe some hole differences. What exactly are the differences?? Are we talking apples and apples with a few additional pieces? or are we talking apples and oranges and not even close? Like I said, I am a Boss guy and new to Fisher plows but got one cheap and would like to mount it on my old truck. Looks like a hell of a plow, it's an old speedcast with an electric/pump/tank and valve that goes under the hood. I was also wondering how fast these units are. And from a speed and dependabilty standpoint, would I be better off trying to get an engine mounted pump assembly? New to fisher SOS.
  2. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

i don't know if you've tryed it or thought of it but did you check a junkyard? i went there a few years ago on a whim when i had my old 88 chevy and i needed a new cable control ( the old kind of joystick ) and they had what i needed and it cost me $10 so it was my cheapest option as well just might be something to look into. and fishers are very dependable plows
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Have you tried Jerre's Service in Erie, PA or Storks sales in PA or Main Street Auto in St Johnsbury, VT?

These guys are very good about helping people looking for good used plow parts, each one has helped me at one time or another, so giv'em a call.

I'd stick with the Electric Hydraulic unit, if it fails you can always substitute it with a Haldex, Monarch or Fenner SPX unit, should be a relatively easy conversion.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  4. Skip584

Skip584 Junior Member

I gave Jerre Hyre a call and he took my measurements but most not have came up with anything. I email Storks and Jeen emailed me back and they didn't have any either. After speaking with Jerre though, I have given up the search. I didn't realize that there was a different pushbeams and headgears and headgear mountings. I think that my combo with the older 8' plow with a 4" pushbeam at 27inches overall length with my 30" center to center headgear must make for very oldball pushplates or at least those that are seldom found if ever used. Simply because there weren't that many out there to begain with. I am trying to put an old plow on a new syle truck and then throw in that it is a larger plow than what really belongs on there and my old style headgear...WELL, I've thrown in the towel, I will probably just get an older chevy K20 or K30 locally and mount it on that. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of pushplates for these, and they don't really command a very high price because of their aboundance. It's probably more cost effective thise way anyhow, than pay a big price for oddball pushplates or steel to customfab, and broken parts on my light duty truck anyway.
  5. PaulT

PaulT Junior Member

Skip, I ran into the same problem when I picked up my plow.
    I found pushplates that came off a 3/4 ton Chevy and they fit just fine.
    The pushplate those came with was appox 28" wide overall, and the pins were setup for an 8' plow. I had a 7 1/2' plow & just had the tabs extended and rewelded on to match.