1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the first bobcat

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Hysert, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Just seen this at are local BC dealer. Apparently it's the first skidsteer?? 1958, rear wheel is a idler pivot...

2016-03-01 09.47.17.jpg

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I saw the same model at a Green Industry Expo last month. Try getting a guy to run one of those nowadays........

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Took me a minute to figure out what that red device on top of the tire was .....

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Cool little machine . You could sure get dizzy quick spinning that around .

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

They told me it was in British Columbia at another store and they did have room, so they brought it to hamilton!! It runs now after a full restoration..

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

skinny front snow tires.. hmmm now there is an idea.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Last time I was at Bobcat if NNJ they had onle like that

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I was gonna say...It has WolfPaws on it!:cool:

9. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

They've had that machine or one that is similar at K.C. Bobcat down here a few years ago. Pretty neat to check out

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know someone who got snow today.

Skid-Steer-Loaders-2.jpg

11. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

That baby was invented about 50 miles from where I live. Farmer needed a little machine to clean his turkey barn...and that's where the melro skidsteer was born...later to be named the bobcat. They are still made in my home state of North Dakota in a small town named Gwinner. I think its pretty cool that a worldwide machine like that is built right here in the USA and even better right here in North Dakota.ussmileyflag

12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Not bashing any Canadians...you guys make some kick ass equipment too tymusic . Just saying I'm proud where I come from!!

13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Another story I have to go along with this. When I was in college (13 years ago) one of my instructors told me this story. He had bought one of these 3 wheeled bobcats at a auction from a guy that had past away. Long story short it was wore out and barley ran anymore. He bought it for little or nothing. He had for about 5 years and never did much with it before he sold it to a neighbor who wanted to fix it up. The neighbor starting doing some checking around on this unit and found out it was the 3rd one that had rolled off the assembly line once they got the plant up and running. Well I guess bobcat found out he had this thing and they wanted it back to restore it. Long story short they traded him a brand new bobcat (s250 Era I think it was) to have this machine back. Needless to say my instructor was upset he had sold it to his neighbor but he said his neighbor felt kinda bad so he let's him borrow the s250 whenever he needs it. Thought that was kinda neat of bobcat to do.

14. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Interesting story, too bad they could've traded now and he could have got the millionth loader! Pretty interesting on the history of American equipment. I love old back stories like that!

15. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

16. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

jonnies is right. It was Velos turkey farm that Melroe built the unit for. The very first unit is sitting in the North Dakota Heritage Museum in Bismarck, ND been sitting there since the late seventies. Melroe went through several reorganizations before becoming Bobcat and then selling out to Ingersoll Rand. Demand for the equipment always outpaced production until the economy tanked in 2008. Dawood finally acquired Bobcat and returned it to its winning ways. Gwinner is the main manufacturing plant in the USA but they have reopened Bismarck and West Fargo operations too. Little talked about but Bobcat probably saved Fargo in the historic 2007 flood. They took their entire inventory of machines and gave them to the city to aid in levee building and had dealers send back any spare machines that they had. They also took their entire truck fleet to transport sand and sand bags. Sadly, the town of Gwinner suffered flood damage too but Bobcat stood firm in their commitment to Fargo first. They never asked to be reimbursed for their expenses. You couldn't ask for a better neighbor and is probably one of the best examples of corporate stewardship. I always felt that if the citizens of Fargo had autographed thanks on all those units, Bobcat could have sold them for 5 to 10 thousand more and done one hell of a advertising campaign listing their help in the flood. They never said much and donated the machines all over the world. Some of you might remember seeing videos of the Fargodome in the 2007 flood. Twenty thousand people filling sandbags by hand, really showed the power of people working together. What you didn't see in the videos was the 100 plus Bobcat trucks supplying and removing in the operation.

Anyway, Melroe family aka Howard Dahl sold the business to Ingersol Rand. They took all the employees and moved to Fargo starting what is now called Amity Technology. They make Air Seeders, Sugar Beet Equipment like Defoilerators and harvesters. They are state of the art soil samplers coupled to GPS and various computerized harvesting systems. They are one of the largest exporter of farm equipment in the USA. The Russians come to North Dakota every year and leave a billion dollars in orders. They stop at Amity first, then walk next door to Steiger aka New Holland. Amity continues to develop skid steers, the fifth version is a tracked unit that is a gas turbine driving a alternator with electric traction motors. Its bucket dumps into a larger dump so in essence it carries 5 yards of material in one trip. Made of all stainless steel, the operators platform moves in the direction of movement. Maybe 4x4 Farmer could snap a picture or two of it. It is at the r&d center at (I think)25th st and 6 th ave north. It was in the building across the street from the trucking co whose name escapes me right now

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nice posts,love the history.My first Melroe bobcat,a 1988 or so 743 looked like the space shuttle compared to the original! Loved that machine,think it was the most sold model at one point.

18. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I had a 600 than a 753 now a cat 226