1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the famous 6.0 P.O.S

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Apr 26, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

ford has nice trucks, sharp looking and strong, but there diesels are crap!
    we got a 03 f-450 with the 6.0. don't get me wrong when it runs and nothings wrong, its a powerful truck but it always has problems. lately when we start it and let it warm up it runs rough. it was outside at our shop I went to start it to bring it inside and she just wanted to die, had no power bringing it inside. well next day my father went to start it and nothing. she turns over and wants to fire but it don't. its getting fuel. we talked to our guy at ford who had this truck in his shop way to many times. I forgot what it was called but he said it was on the driver side of the motor on top of the valve cover, and he thinks that's what the problem is. has anyone else have this problem?
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Nope. Had the same problem with a P.O.S Dodge though. Burned it, collected insurance money, bought a Ford and never looked back.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I think hes talking about the ficm. The engine computer
  4. dodgegmc1213

I believe that's what he said
  5. dodgegmc1213

I never heard bad about dodge. I love mine. but the ford an 03 with less then 60k miles with more money in it then its worth, its getting to be to much.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There is a lot of updated parts available for your 6.0 if it's never had them.

The FICM needs 48v, less then that is no bueno. Old crappy batteries don't help things either.

Unfortunately you're on the wrong side of the country otherwise I have just the person to put you in contact with about your truck to go through it and make it ready to go without worrying about future problems.
  7. dodgegmc1213

I know theres a lot of updated parts but that's financially impossible for us, plus its just a work truck to us, plow and salter in the winter and seal tank in the summer. it does sit a lot witch I know is not a good thing. as far as batteries goes they are fairly new and the alternator was just replaced last year. the alternator went after the battery light kept coming on during the summer, lights been off but recently been back on
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you need headgaskets/studs the rest of the updates and possible repairs aren't terrible. The truck being turn key without worry is worth it to most people alone, no more snow storms hoping it's still running at the end.
  9. dodgegmc1213

if I really had the money I would swap it with a cummins or even a 7.3. past few winters it was mainly a salt truck because the site it was at had machine to plow with and ran fine but are main work is the sealing and it seems like ever summer problems happen. my father is just fed up anymore.

actually we have a 02 gmc 2500hd with the 6.0 vortec over 180k miles and cant kill her but she is getting tired. I should tell my dad to put the vortec in the ford and be done haha
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll spend way more money swapping to a cummins or a 7.3 then it would be to fix the 6.0 correctly and then not worry about it. Plus you'd be going back to an old school motor and unless you wanted to swap transmissions to an old, dumb 3-4spd auto you're asking for a lot of money to spend on stand alone controllers and such for the 5R110 to make it work. The cheapest route no matter what is just fix the 6.0 correctly.

A guy just called the shop the other day about his 04 6.0 and how he wanted a Cummins or a 7.3 because it would be cheaper then making is 6.0 reliable. I think he had this idea that he'd be dropping 8 or 10 grand on the 6.0 and then would still be hoping for the best each time he turned the key. He sounded relieved when he heard that even if it needed headgaskets/studs it wouldn't be over 4k unless there was unexpected problems with extra parts being needed that normally aren't. Then you just have to pay for the part since the labor is already covered in the headgasket job. They really aren't as terrible as everyone makes them out to be when you give them to a diesel tech who understands their downfalls and knows the proper way to fix them. Driving around I can't tell you how many shops I pass that advertise 6.0 repair, 6.0 bulletproofing,etc. There's probably 6-10 of them within a half hour of me. I wouldn't trust a single one of them, I've saw first hand the work that comes out of those shops and then ends up at my friends shop either because they failed to repair the truck or they repaired it but then a month or two down the road the same problem came back. It's scary when you call over there and ask for the mechanic that worked on the truck and start asking questions and he starts asking you what those parts look like and where they are found on the motor. He's not sure what the part is called or what roll it plays in the function of the motor but somehow he is trusted to make the truck reliable. They're basically parts changers and don't see what the failure is and what caused it. They're missing the big picture. Generally it's better to not call and ask them anything, diagnose it ourselves and go from there. If they can't figure out what parts are needed to repair the truck their diagnosis was probably wrong anyway and even asking if they remember the truck is a waste of time. It's all about education and understanding before any wrenches are turned on the motor, it's not an old carbureted 350 Chevy where it's straight forward and there's only so much you can really do to it even if you had no clue the difference between metric and standard tools.
  11. dodgegmc1213

what exactly gets done to fix it correctly? now im not mechanic so I don't know a lot I just know the normal mechanic stuff (brakes, suspension, ect.) but I heard egr delete helps a lot?
  12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i bet this is you whole problem.
    check the plug on top of the alternator. it is either loose or burned up and not charging the batteries properly.
    get the light turned off and charging again and you problems will most likely go away.
  13. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If your alternator wasn't charging your batteries probably died and killed the ficm. Batteries on these trucks generally last about two years if your lucky.
  14. dodgegmc1213

The batteries are fine they are charging, I should rephrase what I said about the light, It does come on and turns off when u start driving, sometimes dont come on and then it does when driving. But this happened everyday last summer with no problems until 1 day the alternator just died. Replaced it and the Light stayed off but I believe my father told me it came on once or twice during the winter. I will check the plug tomorrow. The batteries normally last about 4 years in this truck
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Egr delete helps a lot but it's not the sole fix.

Updated oil cooler, egr delete, blue spring kit, STC fitting, dummy plugs, coolant flush, metal cac tube, if needed studs and gaskets, ficm, injectors, etc.

Just because the batteries still start the truck fine after 4 years doesn't mean they are totally ok. They might be fine in another vehicle with a motor that isn't as picky as the 6.0 but they probably aren't doing the FICM any favors.
  16. dodgegmc1213

There only a year and half or so old, im just saying they normally last 4 years. For all we know the ficm is what ford is telling us is bad, so its possible the batteries have nothing to do with the problem right now
  17. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

It's sad when a truck that costs as much as the others, needs that much work to operate normally. Anybody that says it's a good truck is full of it.
  18. dodgegmc1213

Thank you, wheres the like button?
    It is a good truck when running a 100% but its not always at 100%
  19. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

you have an 03 diesel with 60k miles and an 02 gas motor with 180k thats a big part of your problem Any diesel with emissions on it needs to RUN and RUN HARD weather is says Ford,Dodge,Gmc,Mack,freightliner or Westernstar from big truck to pick ups if they have egr dpf or def the more they work the more reliable they are. just and observation of mine. if you plan to keep the ford for a 160 bucks you can buy a scan gauge 2 that will monitor all the vitals of your engine and save you in the long run. if you keep the truck spend some time reading up on the flaws the 6.0 has because an educated owner can be a happy 6.0 owner. if not just dump it and get a gas truck because at just 60000 miles in 10= years a diesels not really needed
  20. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Either fix the truck right, or dump it and get a gasser. Your probably like "Hey look at my diesel its so cool and its got only 60k but its a piece of ****"..yeah well, 6.0s are. Factory, at least. Get them fixed right and they are reliable and powerful.