1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The exspected Lawn Site thread.Who's working on Christmas?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 17, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone?;)....

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Its just another day in my book.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If it snows, we are out. If the site is open, it gets plowed. If its closed it will wait until the morning of the 26, unless the wx man is calling for alot of snow. I don't see we have a choice.

4. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

this. but then again most of my sites are done in the middle of the night anyways, so xmas is a bonus for me since there will be even less people on the roads

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If it snows, then we work, just at a slower pace.....

Done it twice in my career, and won't be surprised if it happens again.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't like/want to but its part of this business.

7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I was out on New Years Eve last season, everybody was partying and i was doing walks....
    It's worth living in a huge house with nice things and vehicles

8. cod8825

cod8825 Member

In eight years I have had to work Christmas twice. Christmas eve once and New Years once.

9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We work Christmas but take off for Hannaka :)

10. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

that's what keeps me going with my work load and shite hours. reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: if you don't wanna work a 9-5 be prepared to hustle 24/7

step 1
    set up business
    step 2
    set my mom up nicely
    step 3
    set my self up nicely
    step 4
    ????
    step 5
    retire!

haha

11. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, If it snows I will be out just like any other day. Open, Closed does not matter, Plow snow when it snows. Hard to do in the summer.

12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Me too. We go when it snows. I wont get into guessing who will be open etc because you will always have the unexpected happen.Tthat goes for any snow day.I am hired to remove snow not to know every accounts schedule.

13. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Not me, but they are calling for rain here and I'll be down for the count anyway.

14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It never snows here on Christmas..

So, I'll be working on Grandma's famous homemade lasagna, and drinking beers.

And if it does snow....

Well, I guess I'll plow with a buzz on, and a belly full of Garfields finest...:eek:

15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Part of the business. Some resi accounts would probably throw an extra 20 or a peice of ham. Family knows the deal.

16. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

If it snows I plow. Doing mostly driveways people will be antsy to move around if it snows on Christmas so they are going to want that snow gone. Family won't mind, they don't like me anyway :laughing:

17. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

if you don't wanna work a 9-5 be prepared to hustle 24/7

I like that. If it is snowen we're going.

18. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Working holidays has always been a way to escape the drama and noise, after I've had enough. Last New Years I had a blast. It's kind of funny watching the sheeple standing outside of the party places hovering around an ash tray, while wearing all their New Years crap. After they drink and eat, somehow I guess I become more entertaining to watch outside than an over sized disco ball dropping from the sky...the same as it did the year before. It's like...we got all crazy looking, now what? If I get to work this year, I thought maybe I would add sparklers to my plow markers, just to make their night a little more memorable.

19. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

On holidays, If the snow flies, the wife cries. We will be out. Luckily the commercials can wait because they will all be closed, Only driveways and a church.

20. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

The commercials have to be ready for Boxing Day so people can by more shi I mean stuff.