1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the dreaded V-plow trails...a solution!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Dec 11, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

my V-plow trails infuriate me and i refuse to pay 3 times more for a cutting edge so today i got creative. anyone else sick of the trails try this simple trick that cost me pennies.

i welded a bolt to the lower bracket of my center pin and strapped on a piece of rubber belting on. check out the pics

we will see how long it lasts :)

1211081651a.jpg

1211081652a.jpg

1211081652b.jpg

1211081655a.jpg

1211081656a.jpg

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Looks interesting. Let us know how it works.

3. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

i have a feeling its going to just fold up on you

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Your belt will not hold up for even one outing the way you have it mounted. Also dont be so CHEAP. Are you doing plowing for a living or just doing friends and relatives? The new formed edges for the Boss plows are WORTH the money.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Why not use a wider piece of rubber. Bolt it on when the V is retracted that way when you invert it, it will just bend in and not get behind the cutting blade. Maybe use the 2 inside cutting edge bolts to hold it in place.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yep. Great idea...just a thicker and longer piece would do it, I think. Something like a piece of old mudflap. When I first saw that,..I was like "Get the heck OUT!", because that IS a good and simple idea! :)

7. terrapro

from MI

the rubber is 1/4inch thick belting. honestly i think my bad weld will pop off before the rubber will tear.

it is behind the blade in the final pics which is the way it will be kept. i havent figured out why it is crumpling up as it goes into the scoop position. i did this in about 20 minutes. if anything i think it would need to be trimmed to contour around the corner of the edges which is where i think it is catching.

i did this with only me around so watching the action take place wasnt so great.

i think in the morning i will plow my drive which is now ice and 3-4" of snow and see how it holds up. it will be a pretty tough test. :redbounce

my "friends and relatives" will be upset when they hear this didnt work. they were all excited when i told them my news. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  8. terrapro

from MI

first pic is straight
    second is angled to the left
    third is V'ed
    forth is V'ed while tucked behind
    fifth is straight while tucked behind

it over laps about 1.5-2" in V position so any more would be a waste. i originally intended to use the two inner most edge mounting holes as the mount for the flap but then while staring at it I decided this would be better.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would cut a longer peace and bolt it to at least 2 bolt holes on th ecutting edges it self... so 4 total holes, and a peace about 2 feet long. No welding nessasary

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'm not sure that would work. In order for the piece to be long enough, it with have to be put on with the plow in the retracted position - all the way back (if bolted to the front). But then, when the plow goes into scoop position, it will swell between the two contact point (bolted to the plow) and the middle contact point - forming a sort of a "B" shape. This would then fill up with snow, and when the plow is pulled back, the rubber would tear out of the bolts. I was thinking that it would be necessary for the ends to be able to slide freely, so this doesn't happen. as I think of it, they WOULD flap outward when back dragging (if they were left in the front) but would still suffice. He would almost be better off to have one in front AND have one in back. I still like it, though.

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I thought the V trails were suppose to be like striping a lawn with your mower.

Great idea. Give it a shot and let us know how it works. 20 minutes time, $.48 in materials, fixing V trails, Priceless.

12. terrapro

from MI

thats exactly what i thought as i was looking at the plow before i did anything. thats how i decided the best way would be for it to be attached at the center.

i dropped the blade in my drive and nothing bad happened. it didnt rip off on the gravel and ice. it also did not leave a trail. i will take pics when i have some actual snow to plow. so far so good

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

maybe drill a hole on each side of the hinge on the cutting edge, put a peice of rubber across then bolt int onto the cutting edge. I bet that would work much better.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

15. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I am now on the 4th year of using this rubber strip, and still to this day, have not had one single issue with it,... no tears, no bolts breaking off or falling out,... nothing. And it has worked just perfect! It has worn down with the cutting edges, and because I don't plow any pavement, my edges last very well, if I don't break them. After all this time and usage, there's nothing I'd do different if I did it over again,... if the old-style edges were a lot cheaper than the new ones, I'd buy them & do this modification again in a heartbeat,.... and I don't think too many people plow more or have a longer plow season than me,.. :salute:

16. terrapro

from MI

i forgot about your thread about the rubber. looks great, if this doesnt work out ill give that a try.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I made this
    I ground a slot in the shoe and welded in a 1" thick steel bar. the shoe is raised up so it does not hit the ground.
    [​IMG]

18. terrapro

from MI

well yesterday i got to really test it out. it worked out great. went over asphalt to concrete to gravel with no problems and even better yet, no trails! :cool: