1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The dreaded Meyer hinge pins!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Dec 17, 2014.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

OK so I had a broken pin and decided to change them both. Lot's of heat is all I can say.
    My question is does anyone know if they are hardened? I'm thinking of grabbing some pins from tractor supply and cutting the handle off.
    thanks,
    dave

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

They are cold rolled.

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Thanks for the reply, I thought they might be cold rolled. I ended up getting a pair of SAM's with the grease fittings, my local Meyer dealer had them for the same price as online.
    thanks again,
    dave

4. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

Yeah they suck to change,I made a t handled pin beater out of some heavy rebar for getting those suckers out,lotta heat,lotta beat!

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i used a recip saw with a metal blade and cut at the pivot point, found it was easier to drive them out

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

air chisel. heat, oil, reheat, and drive them rite out.

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Well I cleaned up the holes this morning and put the new pins in with some spray on grease and then pumped the living daylights out of them with the grease gun, I think they will outlast me! :mechanic:

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

forgot to mention smith bros has a nice bead hone to clean them...sorry