1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The color of Magic-FYI

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PINEISLAND1, Jan 24, 2003.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

As a user of Magic salt , I was very surprised to find my latest batch wasn't nearly as dark as usual, in fact it was almost the color of normal rock salt. Fearing it missed the treatment, I called the factory and have spent some time discussing the whole process with Innovative.

The Mag that is used at the active ingredient in the coating is clear in color. When mixed in the normal percentages, it varies from a light brown, to sometimes a very dark brown. This varies based on the type of anti caking agent used at the mine in any particular load. The more Mag that is mixed into the coating, the lighter it gets. Innovative has kicked up the percentages recently in response to the extreme cold spell, and it has actually changed the end product , producing a much lighter granule. In addition, they told me their last shipment of bulk had a different anti caking agent than normal, which turned my load this week almost white.

The said it is actually a hotter product than we are used to , and should actually work even better than we are used to !

So, I accepted that, and will use it without hesitation. I will miss the visibility while spreading on white parking lots, but if it works even better, I guess I cannot complain. They said the future loads I get will most likely be the normal coloring agian, since it will probably be a month or two in the future.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I know, Dave, but I have been having lots of trouble finding good salting subcontractors. :)

I should just do it all myself next season !!!:cool: