1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the chicken or the egg???????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by befnme, Dec 14, 2007.

1. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

i am new to this guys and i have read and read and read but i cant find my answer. which is better to do first? salt or plow? what if you have several to do in a 20 mile radious do you plow snow then salt then come back to plow slush, or salt everything then come back later and plow all of it ????? seems either way you do it you are wasting time.
  2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

pre salt/treat helps with the first push then come back push and re-salt
  3. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

THANKS FOR THE HELP:drinkup:
  4. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

The chicken because actuality proceeds potentiality. Therefore you plow the actual snow and then salt for potential ice.
  5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ill 2nd that
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree. Plow and then salt. Thats what works best in my area. Yours may be different.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think that it really depends on your accounts. If they will pay for you to salt both before and after, then go for it. I used to live across the street from a hospital, and that company would come and salt, and then they would plow immediately after they were done salting. Then they would salt again, and maybe even come back, clean up some slush, and possibly salt again. Granted the hospital has a ton of money, not all accounts are like that. But, I think that if you salt before you plow, the snow will scrape off the pavement better, and you may not have to come back and salt again.
  8. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

Thanks for the help guys. :waving: