Snow Plowing Forum banner

The calm before the storm and bring the thunder betty - "Ford"

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  IA Farmer 
#1 ·
Here is my dad and I personal trucks

His is the calm before the storm. We don't let him plow too much.

And mine is the bring the thunder betty or better known as "One hell of a truck"

Had another manufacture plow on these trucks and just changed. Will never look back. These western plows have gone past all our expectations. I plan on doing a review on my mvp 3 so look for that soon.

See less See more
#8 ·
AlertSnow;1739880 said:
I got the light bar on the dually online from STL. Came in a few days. Magnetics work great on roof for it. It is a black aluminum casing instead of silver aluminum volor.
Pretty happy with it? I like a lot of the specs and features they have, but have heard a lot of people have longevity issues with them.

#12 ·
VERY nice setups!!!
But why would U put jus a straight blade on the platinum..!! That truck deff deserves a wideout at very least brother!!!
But either way U deff can't go wrong with a Ford & Western combo of any sorts!!!!
How do U like plowing with the Platinum comforts??

#13 ·
MR. Elite;1740189 said:
VERY nice setups!!!
But why would U put jus a straight blade on the platinum..!! That truck deff deserves a wideout at very least brother!!!
But either way U deff can't go wrong with a Ford & Western combo of any sorts!!!!
How do U like plowing with the Platinum comforts??
The platinum is my dad's. But it Def rides rougher than my dually.

They said we couldn't put the wide out on it which I think was wrong information Bc of weight.

#14 ·
Good looking trucks, can't beat a ford and a western!

#16 ·
theguynextdoor;1740521 said:
Awesome looking trucks. What plows did you have before ? Why do you like the western better ?

I'm sure you could have out a wideout on that truck.
I had the newer boss dxt. Month and a half later I took a lost and got rid of it.

I am not here to bad mouth a company. I believe western was a better fit. I do believe when a company says they listen to the professionals using their product, but don't show any evidence in doing so that questions my confidence in them.

I do plan on making a review on my western mvp 3 in a video very shortly. I believe a lot of people out there are misinformed and some people speak about something they don't know about.

i.e.
- cut edge thickness... Yes it is only 1/2" at least you know that going into purchasing the plow, but that should be built into you business model if you are replacing it frequently and hopefully that is a reflection on the about of volume of clients you have.

- mold board thickness... First of the infrastructure behind the mold board is most important. If you see one of these in person and still think there is a problem then we definitely have a problem. Western has built a solid plow most importantly in the infrastructure. Second if you dent the mold board or put a hole in it. You most likely were doing something you shouldn't be

- Bouncing and clinking around. What a load of BS i've read. Yes that happens in the lighter weight plows, but generally not and definitely not anymore than the spring and cylinder only plows. In fact my mvp 3 has pretty much zero bounce in it what so ever.

The new ultramount 2 frame work is amazing. Talk about a solid piece of infrastructure. The pivoting system is something they didn't over complicate and is as strong as the main structure and makes a huge difference.

Like I said before your customer doesn't see anything else, but the end result. They don't care why you didn't show up because you stuff wasn't properly maintained. They don't care what your excuse is for why the lot doesn't look amazing.

Surrounding yourself by ideal equipment to help in all areas to give that customer the best end result is most important.

#17 ·
First off I have never liked Boss plows. Not, bashing them though. I respect them even though I don't agree with a number of things they do.

But, I would like to know exactly what you didn't like about your Boss. I haven't heard to many people say anything bad about them that would make someone trade for a loss. I just know they are the most popular in my area and never understood why. I wonder if they do actually perform well or if the Boss owner just don't know what a plow should perform like. In videos they look like they trip all over the place. That would drive me nuts.

#19 ·
bcramblit;1741070 said:
First off I have never liked Boss plows. Not, bashing them though. I respect them even though I don't agree with a number of things they do.

But, I would like to know exactly what you didn't like about your Boss. I haven't heard to many people say anything bad about them that would make someone trade for a loss. I just know they are the most popular in my area and never understood why. I wonder if they do actually perform well or if the Boss owner just don't know what a plow should perform like. In videos they look like they trip all over the place. That would drive me nuts.
- trip was a big determining factor.. It did bounce a lot. It does skip over snow pile you are pushing. It was a lot of stress on the truck. Now keep in mind I am able to talk opening about this now that I have a new product to compare that too. As soon as I drop the blade on my western it glides very smooth across any surface.

- I owned a 10'0 and 9'2 dxt. The 10' really bothered me that they never considered to raise the lights on it which when traveling in the up position it would cover most of the light and you can't adjust to point them upwards because all you would be doing is pointing lights at tops of trees.
- not only did I choke the chain up the furthest it could go without covering the lights but I reduced scraping by over 80 percent and still have good coverage on the lights. also the lights are super bright stock from the factory. on my boss I put upgraded lights in it just to get some more brightness. (what a pain in the ass)

- We all know a plow will never be 100 percent perfect, but when you spend 7000 a plow you have higher expectations.

- the 4 inches more length in a plow feels like a foot... I may be stretching that feelings but its significant

#20 ·
MatthewG;1741242 said:
I look forward to the MVP3 review, how is your salt dogg holding up?
Ha it's a salt dogg... I love the simplicity of it. Hate the controller but I have been fortunate the controller has yet needed to be replaced.

I am going to put the tornado in soon or I would more worried about it. The only thing that bothers me about the tornado is it literally takes up the whole entire truck bed.

#21 ·
MatthewG;1741242 said:
I look forward to the MVP3 review, how is your salt dogg holding up?
He'll be very happy with the 3. I have over a 150 billable hours. If you know my history, I'm a plow killer!

Waiting for wings to come in, been backordered

#22 ·
1olddogtwo;1741282 said:
He'll be very happy with the 3. I have over a 150 billable hours. If you know my history, I'm a plow killer!

Waiting for wings to come in, been backordered
Yes you are a rough one on trucks and equipment. Im looking to make the switch from the XLS to the new 9.5 Vs either Fisher or western, add the wings and boom, 11' 2"

#24 ·
Great looking equipment, You will love the MVP3. We haven't had much snow this year but the little I have used mine I have been very pleased. Post some more pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.