1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Brine-Ex Salt Formula in Ottawa!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by creativedesigns, Feb 18, 2008.

1. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

So salt water they spray down before a storm, don't municipalities do this already?
  3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Makes me wonder what all those people who tried this stuff out did this year with record braking snow falls........ Eventually they would have to call the real guys in?
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Well it says right on there website that it is for 5 cm or less, basically like the anti bonding solution they use on roads. Doesn't seem like munch of a new invention unless I'm missing something.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I call BS, Tony probably owns it. Other guys will disagree with me but I've tried lots of liquids and unless it's really cold, salt works the the best. 7 years ago I used my own personal driveway as a testing grounds. I had flags set up dividing my driveway into sections so I could compare products. I wasn't really happy with any of them. JMO
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

BRINE-EX is locally manufactured in Ottawa, it uses salt water, salt, and electric current in a processing plant to create Brine-Ex with a concentrate of 23.3%,

Why? This is stupid, all you need is water and salt to make brine. Brine is salt water so why would you start with the end product? What a load of BS.

It evaporates it? Come on, you have to heat something to evaporate it. If this is the case, then the driveway would always be dry.

Nice marketing, too bad it's mostly BS.

Dave, it depends a lot on conditions. I sprayed a bunch of my lots today with Caliber and had fantastic results. They were salted yesterday with some foo foo dust so that should have helped out. Very cold, low single digits and nice lake effect snow.