1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The boy who cried no FLUID

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Apr 3, 2003.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

This is a story about a little boy named Mike 97 ss who went through much of his plowing days without ever changing the fluid in his western plow. Then one day while out in a blizzard Mikes plow stopped functioning and he thought to himself Jeez i thought this was a western not a Meyers. That was when he called up his good friend snowplowjay and said hey I guess you were right these things dont run on just Hydraulic fumes like i thoguht they did.

Jay

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Exactly... The truck runs on fumes the plow runs on fluid... Duh....
    lol...

Now the question is did ya spare him a qt. of fluid???

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

this was a joke to bust on him and see if he ever did do a fluid flush and fill this year (and between you and me i still dont think he has ;)) i guess i just may have to send a gift of a few quarts of fluid to his address

Jay

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jay, you got the story all wrong. The plow started giving me trouble AFTER I filled it up to the proper level. When I checked it, it was REAL low, so I pushed the lift cylinder completely down and filled it to the top and capped it up. I called my local snowplow place, Shaws Garage, Chuck knows the place, and this is what they said to do, so hopefully I didnt overfill it. I called before messing with it to be sure. Then a snowstorm or 2 later, it started acting funny, going up real real slow and once wouldnt go up. I dont know if the amount of fluid has anything to do with it or not, but it only acted up on me a couple times then no more. I think eventually, I'm gonna drain the fluid and refill with better fluid. I think the fluid I put in was good, but maybe its getting gelled up and then the plow doesnt operate as it should. Anyone have any ideas on whats the best fluid to fill up the pump with? Price isnt a concern. Mike :waving:

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

What I do with our Meyers is to put the cylinder all the way UP, then fill the reservoir to the top. Then, put the control in float and stand in front of the unit and push the cylinder all the way down. This method will assure that the little vent hole in the plug is not clogged.

;)

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Mike,
    80W-90 gear lube should do the trick.........
    Fill plug......you don't need no stinking fill plug.......
    Jerre

7. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Switch to a Meyer plow set...No, really... I always change my fluid at the end of each plow season and only use Meyer plow fluid. You should stick to western plow fluid ...:nod:

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jerre, were you serious about the 80w90? I can get that stuff at my local auto parts store. I thought I read here some people use aircraft or graphite fluid? I dont remember what it said exactly though. I just want to put the best stuff in and something that wont thicken up no matter how cold it gets. What do you guys use up north where it gets real real cold?? Im in NJ and it does get cold here but not like other places. Thanks for the help guys. :drinkup: Mike

9. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

80/90 oil is gear oil for rear end of most cars or trucks...

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

No, I know its for rearends, but was wondering if he was serious, cause I know he knows all about snowplows. So, Jerre, were you serious? I know you were kiddin about the drain plug, but how about the 80w90? Mike

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mike.... he was kidding.... you can't get much thicker than 80w-90, LOL. Hydraulic fluid is like transmission fluid, I would guess about 10w.

~Chuck

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A buddy of mine had a 89 GMC with a big old 454. Well the truck needed a rear main seal and used 3 quarts of 10w-30 a day. Well he claimed rather than do the rear main seal, he would run it on 15 /40 in the winter and a mix of 15/40 80/ 90w in the summer.

Geoff

13. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Try Aircraft Hydraulic fluid,

Works great and never gells, well at least not for me!

Good Luck

Rick

14. Jerre Heyer

Mike, Couldn't resist the 80W/90 plug there. You were already getting ribbed so much. Thanks Chuck for stopping the cold sweats he was starting to get..LOL

I use Aircraft hydraulic on all the plow's. Western kept the ATF sticker on there pumps but anyone who assembled them new saw the thin fluid that ran out when they were putting them together.

The manual said to use Aircraft Grade -75degree pour point for lower temp operation. Simple testing shows that as ATF gets colder it gets thicker ( pours slower ) This makes the pump have to work harder to pump the fluid.

The Aircraft grade keeps it's properties to lower temps so the pump works easier = longer pump and motor life.

Wester high performance/Fisher high performance/Meyer blue/Boss high performance/Blizzard rapid action all have similar properties ( read in not exactly but similar ) If you use the best of them you can use it in all of them.

Lubriplate makes an awesome product but big $$$. I get mine in by the 55 gal drum. Price is much better. Most Napa's can get you the low temp fluid also.

But................I know cost is the big issue for some people but a operating pump has to be worth $10-20 in fluid per year right....

P.s. love that avitar you've got
    Jerre

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jerre, thanks for the detailed reply. I will have to get some of that fluid for mine. As I stated earlier, cost isnt an issue, if thats what is the best, thats what I want. Like you said, it says on my Western plow pump to use ATF fluid, so when I checked it and it was low, I went inside my repair shop and grabbed a quart of ATF trans fluid and filled it up. I didnt know there was something better, but now I do. I stock Wolfs Head transmission fluid and thats what I put in. Probably wasnt such a smart idea. Only reason I put it though was because the pump said use ATF fluid only, so Im like, hmm, I have cases of ATF, LOL! Oh, you can thank Chuck for my avatar, hehe. He knows the true love I have for Meyer plows and gave me this avatar which made everyone laugh, including me. :D I will leave it up a while to make sure everyone sees it. Thanks again guys for all the replies. Mike

16. Jerre Heyer

Hey Mike, No problem with the help. I'm learning here and trying to help too. Maybe I'll get lucky and Chuck will find a great avitar to give me.

p.s. You can buy bulk fluid ( gallons ) from most of the dealers now.

Jerre

17. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Synthetic ATF is good to around -70F, so if a guy can't find the aircraft fluid anywhere (I talked to a few guys who had a barrel of it, but nothing that was for sale by the quart around here) So, out of convenience, I went synth ATF.

18. Jerre Heyer

I was going to try some AMSOIL on a couple of units. I knew the synthetic ATF had a lower operating temp but hadn't checked on the pour points. That's the key. It may operate to that temp but does it thicken. Ahhhh.....summer research time

Jerre

p.s. it's snowing again in Erie..

19. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

My assumption would be that the pour point would need to be that low in order to operate that low, since fluidity is required for proper operation. Of course the road to hell is paved with bad assumptions, so if you have access to a sub-zero freezer where a guy could try a -40 or colder pour test, that'd be great.

20. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Good Info Here!!

While the original intent of this post was to poke a little fun at Mike's expense, a certainly commendable act on Jay's part, it has become a thread full of good useful stuff. So I took the liberty of moving it to the On Topic Forum.

Before I had learned about the many important oil facts presented here, I had bought a case or 2 of a cheap aftermarket blue oil for the Meyers set ups I had. That said, I haven't had any bad experiences with it as I had heard would happen by not using good brand name oils. I believe I'm finally down to 1 or 2 quarts left & can now experiment with buying some good stuff LOL. Then hopefully my Meyer plow will perform even better, though it is hard to get better than perfect. :D

:gunsfiring: W______Plows