1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Bomb, July 2004

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by derekbroerse, Jul 31, 2004.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

OK guys, here is a current picture of my '82 GMC K3500. It is loaded for a trip to Windsor, Ontario (From the Niagara Area). All new brakes and u-joints are covered in new Kelly-Springfield AWR's (LT255-85R16, required a 1.5" bolt-on spacer on the rear) trimmed with new stainless simulators (thanks, eBay!)

I really like how this picture turned out. Yes, that is a 1965 Jaguar S-Type on the trailer, and yes, my old man just had to walk thru just as I snapped the pic. Oh well.... ;)

the bombx.jpg

2. derekbroerse

Here is another shot of the rig, ready to roll. The trailer is a home-built unit that my old man started in 1978. It was structurally complete and licensed in 1983, then sat untouched until I pulled it out with my S15 in 1998. I added the lights and started using it, even though it dwarfed my truck. A few weeks ago, the old guy finally retired (42 years at GM) and I convinced him to spend a couple of days with me to complete the job (it is, afterall, his trailer). Took us a week of evening work, but we beaver-tailed the deck, built the ramps, and hooked up the electric brakes (four wheel). Funny that it sat unused for 20 years for that little bit of work. It is an all-steel unit, 3/16" checkerplate deck, 4x4x1/8" framework, mobile home axles.

Just a note, I accidentally saved over my original file with this cropped version (#$%@#^#@!!!) Oh well.... no one ever said I was computer literate!!!! :p

pdr_0174.jpg

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nice rig they should of kept the square front look and the manual locking hubs which you can only buy on fords

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Very sweet setup you have!! Truck really looks mint. :drinkup:

5. derekbroerse

Thanks, guys!

I'm not sure I would call the truck 'mint' but it is in excellent shape. Needs a paint job due to a bimbo backing into the cab corner and door on the driver's side last winter. The engine is pretty well toast but is being replaced with a TBI 383 stroker, and the big heavy Muncie SM465 fourspeed is being upgraded with an Advance Adapters Ranger Overdrive setup. If all goes well, it should be well underway this month.

Improvements continue over time!!! I just wish I had time and money in tandem instead of being opposites!! :p

6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

GOOD LOOKING RIG & NICE CAR!!!!!!!!!!:)

7. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Excellent looking truck!

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

PS - what year / model is the grill and headlight bezels from? I'm looking to update (my grill is gone!)my 83. Thanks!

9. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

Cool truck!!!!!! I have an 1983 K2500 that wont die and if it did I'll put it on life support.

10. derekbroerse

Thanks guys!

The grille is 1991 Jimmy/Suburban/Crewcab base-model stuff... ie: still the old body style. This is only temporary in my truck as I have the fancier top-of-the-line chrome grille with the dual halogen headlights side-by-side going on instead... one of these days... (not high on the priority list, probably when I paint it next year sometime)

The truck just got a set of aluminum diamond step running boards (with custom fabbed mounts, not the cheezy stuff that comes with them--you can jump on these and they don't move!) to keep some of the splash down (and lower the step-in height about 6", helps the shorter passengers!!!) and a 130 litre gas tank in the rear (optional high-capacity tank from a Jimmy, turned sideways at the rear where the spare tire used to be) along with new fuel lines and repaired wiring/lights.

Still shooting for a TBI383 swap this fall... ;) running out of time though!

11. derekbroerse

THIS is the front end I am installing (eventually):D It involves swapping the rad support as well as some wiring work, not difficult but time consuming..... The headlights of the single lamp system currently in my truck are the same sealed-beam lights as the older trucks, while the dual headlight system shown here uses halogen bulbs like newer cars and trucks (in a smaller headlight 'shell'.

91 jimmy.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  12. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Derek, does BOSS make a mount for 73-87 Chevy/GMC's. My Western/BOSS dealer told me that they would have to make me a mount for a western (unimount/ultramount) on my 77 Chevy. Don't know about BOSS, what did you do?

13. derekbroerse

Mine is a Ford unit from a 93 or so F350 4x4. We needed to lower it to make it fit the truck because it was lifted so we didn't bother even trying to get a stock one. They may not bother with older trucks with newer plow designs...

I can take some digital pics if they will help you... you'd need to be handy with a welder to duplicate what we did here...

14. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Thanks for the reply. Never welded in my life. Don't know what I will do. At least I don't have to have plow. BTW, could you send some more pics of your truck? Really like it alot. :) How big of a lift did you put on truck?

15. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Some fine looking Rigs... :drinkup:

16. derekbroerse

Updates: Oct. 2004

IA snoman, I wish I had taken 'before' pics.... unfortunately, no, I didn't. The truck used to be that orangy-yellow colour the townships all use.... and looked like it had spent a few years strapped to the Titanic :p The body panels were all brought up from Texas and California a bunch of years ago.

The truck has a 3" body lift (custom bumper brackets to suit since the kits don't come with them) and one extra 3/8" leaf on the front, 2-3 extra leaves on the rear. (Leafs? Leaves? Are leaf springs spelled like tree leaves in plural? Or like the Toronto Maple Leafs? Spelling/Grammar Police, HELP! :p)
    The near 33" rubber helps too.

Since the above photos were taken, diamond step running boards were added (for vertically challenged people to enter, I was ok without them), chrome bezelled signal lights and wheelwell mouldings.

Now for the current (yesterday) photos...

Let the heart-transplant begin! Here she is being stripped for the engine swap! That poor, extremely tired 305 is being yanked and the 383 is being stuffed back in. Just an item of note, the 305 had a dead acting cylinder... some time ago (last fall) I added new plugs and wires.... seems one of the plugs went bad and the center electrode is totally gone. Explains the misfire... so double check everything, even parts that were NEW!

Yes the truck is FILTHY! I was using it the night before (severe mosquito weather) and took to to dump some scrap metal at the yard (total mud there for some reason)

The engine compartment will be power washed and painted with black spray paint... this isn't a show truck but I would like it all one colour and rust protected....

heart-transplant.gif

17. derekbroerse

And here is the parts truck.... Shame this C30 is so rusty, its a low-mileage truck.... but I am raiding ALL the EFI components and the wiring/computer/cluster.... along with the power windows and locks, cab lights, A/C and cruise components.... and eventually the 4.10 geared Dana 70HD rear end.

So it is getting the 'nose job' mine is getting, just a little more severely :p

xpartstruck.gif

18. derekbroerse

The Big-Hog has arrived!

Here is a Sneak Preview of the new engine for the truck. I learned how to build engines from scratch from working in an Automotive Machine Shop back in highschool, so I was able to go back and use all the equipment I needed.

The 'design' is based loosely on the GM Performance Parts HT383 crate motor. I have slightly more compression and a lesser-flowing set of heads (more torque, less RPM ability and horsepower). The specs are as follows:

-.030" over 350 block from '87 3/4 ton GMC
    -'193' casting 350 heads from '93 GMC 350, 3 angle valve job, 1.94/1.50" valves, bowl under the valve was cut open for more flow (slightly, basically removed rough casting flash etc)
    -Speed-Pro Hypereutectic 383 pistons,set approximately to 9.5:1 compression, with anti-scuff skirt coating, on forged 5.7" connecting rods (resized round)
    -SCAT 3.75" stroke crank (brand new) for one-piece seal block
    -Clevite 77 Premium bearing set
    -Total Seal Gapless piston rings
    -GMPP HT383 Hydraulic Roller Camshaft (larger lift, stock'ish' duration for smooth computer compatible idle but more torque), new roller lifters and hardware
    -Edelbrock Full-Roller timing set
    -Edelbrock Performer TBI intake manifold
    -used set of headers, not sure of the brand....

If I had to guess, I would say approximately 330hp and 425 lb.ft. of torque, all way down low. Comparitively, the 305 in there was less than half of that in peak tune, let alone with lots of hard miles and down a cylinder! The 305 used ungodly amounts of fuel, so I am predicting fuel mileage will only get better with a larger engine (less lugging and less time on acceleration circuits), EFI instead of an old, leaky carb, and the overdrive box (once I get it up and running), not to mention EFI's lovely cold-start ability compared to a carb....

Needless to say, it should be a substantial improvement.
    :D

383-Big-Hog.gif

19. Ripple

Ripple Member

nice truck

I like the older chevys especially the 80's models. My first truck was a 78 suburban with a 350 in it 4 speed with manual 4X4 hubs.

20. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Nice job Derek!

Looks like its coming along nicely! By next winter, I'll be running a 1 ton like yours. My 83 is a pickup, but I really could use a dump. Question for you: does your bed dump? Does the dump cylinder interfere with the Blazer fuel tank?

BTW- keep us posted on the fuel mileage. I'm in a similar boat with my GMC. The 454 in it is really tired and also suffers from a useless Holley carb. I'm think of going with a 350 that my father's friend has for sale.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004