1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The blizzard of 1978- Boston TV Friday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by toalpi, Feb 6, 2003.

1. toalpi

toalpi Junior Member
    from CT

TheBostonChannel.com WCVB Channel 5 Boston MA, will have a half hour special on "Chronicle" at 7:30pm Thursday. And a one hour special on FRIDAY at 9:00pm. For those of you not in the broadcast area, there is some info on their web site. Tony

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Thanks for the reminder, I remembered seeing this advertised at the beggining of the week but forgot about it. I was 18 years old and was helping my dad with his plow route. I ran a snowblower down the middle of the driveway with my dad up on top of the snow infront of me chopping it down so I could blow it away. We would make a path down the middle of the driveway to the end and then he would line up the v-plow and break the driveway open. I ran that darn snowblower for 12 hours a day for 2 weeks and the thing died and is still sitting in our basement dead. We wore it out, but it is a good reminder of that storm.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

If your willing to tape the show call me I'll send you the $$ for the tape and the shipping. Would be nice for the archives. Thanks Jerre Heyer

4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Boy do I remember that one!!!!

The small development I lived in at the time was snowed in for a week. We could not get out! It took large loaders and graders a week to get the road out to the development cleared. There was a drift at the front door to our house that blocked the door and went all the way to the soffit:eek:

Greg

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

The guy down at the bottom of the hill on my street owned a Construction company and I remember him coming up the street on his D-6 to open the road up.

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I was only 8 at the time of the blizzard but mostly I remember being out of school for a week and the next week was February vacation :waving: I didn't see my father for most of those two weeks, since he and my uncle plowed the army base in Boston and some accounts at Logan. Mostly I remember watching the news seeing all those people on the coast losing their homes and having to be rescued by boat. Don't forget 29 people died in this state alone and it cost millions to cleanup and repair all the damage.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Jeff,a V plow 25 years ago?i'm assuming this was no BOSS Power V:D or did you get out and pivot the wings by hand:D ,our town has one of those big old V plows from way back,i think they turned it into a big sign!

8. myo

myo Senior Member

When do you think we'll get snow like that again?:eek:

9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Arc Burn,

No it was not a Boss. It was a very old plow. I don't even have a clue who it was manufactured by. He got it used. It was a v-plow only. My dad reworked the A-Frame so it would fit on a Fisher plow pushbeam. It is still sitting in my parents back yard rusting away. Hmmmmmmmmm maybe I should break it out tomorrow and see if it is still anygood. At least I could bring it out for the anniversary of the Blizzard of 78 :D

myo: I hope I never see that type of snow again.

10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Funny someone posted something about the blizzard of '78 as I was just about to post this link I found on Intellicast about it.

www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/blizzard78/blizzardof78.htm

There's quite a few pics in the slide show. I don't remember it at all. I was only 5 at the time and living in Jersey.

-Tim

11. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

3" of snow an hour? Wow thats really coming down. Scary to see all the abandoned cars and trucks.

Seems like that storm could have been a lot worse, as far as people's lives are concerned.

How long did it take to dig the majority of the city out from that storm???

And our city panics from 1-2". I do remember when I was little we would get a 6-9" snow about every year and our school would be out for at least a week, or longer depending on the high temps. I cant imagine all that snow.

I wonder how the city would fair these days in a storm of that size?

12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Blizzard of 78

It was a magnificant storm. The kind of storm we dream about today. Cold weather, low pressure, plenty of moisture. The best of the best plowed that storm, Oshkosh, FWD, International, Mack, F-250's and of course Jeeps. All kinds of Jeeps, FC-150's. pickups, wagoneers, and the venerable never let you down 4 cylinder, lousy heater and defroster but unstoppable fully chained CJ-5.

For weeks afterward you heard the clink clink clink of chains on packed snow as the Sno-Go truck blowers and monster trucks with V-plows taller than the cabs opened the major county roads. Allis Chalmbers, John Deere, Caterpillar, Dyna Hoe were there too. It was stack attack time and the big guys helped us win the battle with Mother Nature.

We were the lifelines for our communities, plowing our routes, and helping out where someone was stuck, transporting a lone walker, opening up roads for police, fire or ambulance when the town plows were at the opposite end of town, making emergency deliveries of medicine for the elderly. We were there to meet the challenge when everyone else was not. Snowmobiles? -unheard of then. It moved by PLOWMEN or it didn't move at all.

Even though the rest of the country was not ready, we were. We had plenty of fuel, salt and our CHAINS on ready to go at a moment's notice when the calls came in. Remember guys, it was a PLOWMAN who opened the roads to the National Guard Armories so the Guard could get out to help the public.

People died in that storm, and more would have if not for the PLOWMEN. Never forget how important our job is to the well being of our country. Without us, the country comes to a stop.

Those of you in the northeast who will get snow tomorrow remember that. That is what it means to be a PLOWMAN.

13. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I was turning 8yrs old when that storm hit. My father gave up plowing after not being able to put the snow any where. So after the first night of it, he went out and bought a 14hp power king tractor with a 52'' blower and did all his accounts with it. Most of the storm I stayed home to keep are walk/stairs clean so he could get in the house.

14. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

15. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I remember some things, of course I was only 11 y/o then. My father was plowing the Tobin Bridge in Boston for 3 or 4 days straight. I remember helping my father shovel the 6 feet of snow drifts from the driveway so he could get in when he got home. Of course that was after the large loader took the snow from our street and piled it into peoples' yards. I live on a dead end street and there wasn't anyplace to put the snow. I also remember jumping off the roofs of houses into the snow piles. I think we were out of school for almost 2 weeks.

16. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I wasn't born yet, I was born in 82. I wish I was though, it would have been great to see it. Thanks for the link I have always been interested in the storm and fasinated by snow I love it. My parents lived in Mansfield MA so they lived through it and my mom was pregnent. My Dad got a speacial permit in order to drive on the roads cause my mom worked at the hospital and they needed her there. He helped alot of people out with groceries and other nessecities. He had a 76 Jeep Wagoneer.

17. Temco

Temco Member

I was 12 at the time and remember being out of school for a while :) Me and my friends would walk around town and write naughty words on the streets with the sand from those old 55 gallon drums they use to have strewn everywhere :rolleyes:

18. HVYMTL

HVYMTL Junior Member
    from IL.

BLIZ 78

I also remember it as the year to measure by...

I remember snowmobile rides on state highways with 2- 12' snopack and drifts.

was kinda curious to drive down the highway and discover you were driving over buried cars and trucks.
    they were hard on the blowers too!

I remember putting snowtires on my 56 chevy and going where smart people didn't. Nothing kept me away from my future wife!

as kids we think of it as a great time but for the plowmen it must have been a trying time.

19. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I always hear people talk of the "Blizzard of 78" here in Fort Wayne, IN also. Probably the same storm system. I believe we got around 23inches. Unfortunately, I was only four years old and have no memory of it.