1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Blizzard made my decision

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bassettKing, Jan 27, 2016.

1. bassettKing

bassettKing Junior Member

Hello everyone.

After spending 16 hours with a snowblower clearing my driveway and other neighbors on the block,:) mother nature made the decision for me and I went and purchased a Western Pro Plus 8'. It is a really nice plow (At least to me since I am a noob). This is my first plow and I got to try it out tonight. One thing I noticed when plowing was that the truck was some-what difficult to make sharper turns with. The roads were clear and wet and I had it in 4x4. Will that difficulty go away when there is actually snow on the ground?

My Truck is a Ford F-250 with the 6.2L Gas. Truck handled fine when I was bringing it home from the dealer. Just wanted to make sure the difficulty was normal. For now, I am only looking at doing residential but, may think about commercial next season.

Thanks for any help and tips.

Regards

2. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

I would suggest you run in 2wd unless there is snow on the ground especially with the plow attached. Make sure you also have some sort of ballast weight in the bed, 500 Lbs or so is a good starting point.

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

4wd limits the turning radius of the truck. If you need to make sharp turns you should plan to be in 2wd or swing wide.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

To answer the question...Yes, the difficulty will go away with snow on the ground.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No pixs means no plow.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly.......

7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Why did you have it in 4x4 if the roads were clear and wet?

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Every post here has a valid point!

9. bassettKing

thanks for the advice. I ddefinatel need to get some ballast.

10. bassettKing

Driveway was still sljppery and its an uphill driveway.

11. bassettKing

Haha. Fair enough.

12. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Most people I know after a blizzard decide a plow truck is poor answer for a storm like that.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Baby steps

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Running your truck in 4x4 on pavement with no snow is hard on it, add in turns and eventually it will break something. 4x4 in a truck is not the same as All wheel drive in a SUV or car, they are made to run on dry/wet roads. If you feel it binding up in 4x4 you should take it out. In a snow storm I run in 4x4. Later on with clean up and the roads become clear I take it out of 4x4 going from job to job.

16. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Maybe try to invest in some mud/snow tires for your truck, tires make all the difference

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I plow for a living and I rarely have it in 4wheel drive even while plowing

18. maxwellp

Why? :popcorn:

19. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Only when it is necessary. Good tires, proper ballast, and planning go a long way.
    Nothing lasts forever and I would rather save the 4wheel for emergency purposes.

20. maxwellp

Way too many hills here and steep driveways here.
    New Winterforce tires - 800 lbs ballast - locker in the rear.
    I use 4x4 - it will not wear out any faster that the rest of the truck.