1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The "Big Dog" lost 1/2 of his contracts.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doh, Nov 12, 2009.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

Ok, the biggest contractor lost 1/3 of his business this year. To the second biggest contractor.

So I ask, "How can the littleman pick up some of the slack?"

I don't want anymore commercial. more residential.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

What are you smoking?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uhhh, what?

4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Some of you guys up north are in a diff world.

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

some ? :laughing: all of them :p

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

There is no slack. 1/3 of some business was transferred from on contractor to another. Please define "slack".

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

screw resientials, go commercial, less headaches and more money

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ok, first i would like to point out, that doing residential isn't always a bad idea, all those little old ladies need their snow done, even in a recession, and some contractors just aren't prepared to do commercial like others are. Secondly i believe that residential is less finiky on price, if some older couple likes you, and likes your work, they are not really going to care about that extra 5 dollars. As far a getting your hands on any of the residential contracts, i would canvas the areas that these contract are. get your name out there, also word of mouth, let all your current contract know that you are looking for new contracts, (this year i offered an incentive of one free month of service if someone recommended us and we got a new client because of the recommendation) Good luck

9. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Umm.. the more individual contracts you have.. the more logistics you have.. and the #1 biggy... Liabilty!! I would rather pickup one nice small lot like an acre or so ...compared to 2 diveways with cars in them..and oh ya get out and shovel the walk for an extra $15...
    Don't get me wrong Alot of people do only residental.. they do just fine.. they prefer it.. it depends on what you are setup for..I think travel time is the big issue with driveways.. if you have a whole subdivision i could see making some great money..
    I did driveways when I started plowing.. ........I don't even do my own driveway now.. I hire someone..they do a great job..
    I have a family that needs to be able to get out of the driveway.. I am not home at all durring storms or even near home.. sometimes don't see home for days... and the last thing I need is to come home to an icy packed mess..

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would suspect the likelihood of having a liability claim is much greater on one commercial vs. residentials producing the same revenue.

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I really like doing residentials. Well not doing them, but the loyality that comes with them. We have had the same customers and referrals from them for the last 2 years. All have resigned on this year, plus I picked up some neighboring accounts. Do good work, and they will notice. Like somebody else said, they won't price shop as long as you give them great service at a fair price.

12. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Funny how this thread goes on even though the OP has never clarified exactly WTF he meant.:laughing:

13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Dosent matter anymore its not his thread nomore :laughing:

14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

2cor517
    I would suspect the likelihood of having a liability claim is much greater on one commercial vs. residentials producing the same revenue.

"The Total truth to that claim"

15. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I would agree. It's not like there are dozens of people coming and going all the time at a typical resi. Unless it's a Crack house or brothel.:rolleyes:

16. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Up North in Canada we use plows instead of bumpers, frozen airbag in face hurts :(