1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The big debate.....strobes or LED's for hideway application

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rb8484, Sep 29, 2010.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

This may open up a can of worms, but I am torn on what do to. I have been doing alot of reading and still cant come to a conclusion on weather or not to keep my 90 watt strobes or get LED's. LED's are bright, but I am thinking tubes are brighter for hideway applications.
    I would like to get LED's for the pure fact they dont have the power draw. What should i do?? Get LED's or keep my tubes??

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I think i would stick with strobes. Only reason being is I think they are more noticable as hide-a-ways over leds. I think leds are ment to be mounted in lightbars and surface mount lights.

3. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

That was my thinking also. I have found that I melted my tail lights with them though, had them mounted in the brake light area and had what I thought plenty of clearance all the way around. I have new headlights, the '05 Harley Davidson headlights, and I hate to mess those up! They are clear (you can look in through the front and see the bulb) so I would also have to get some amber tubes to put in there. The clear tubes would just be way to bright.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes i agree. You do have a valid point with the heat output. I had mine mounted in the turn signals of my 02 silverado and never had a issue. Also the clear is VERY BRIGHT!

5. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

Gonna try leds all round hideaways and surface mounts on running board mounts. Will let you know in a few weeks. Plus there is no power supply unit that you need to mount. Everything is contained in the "pod" of each led.

6. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I have been looking at several differant LED's and they all seem to claim "the brightest on the market" LOL. I am just trying to find the brightest LED's I can find for the hideway purpose. I am in the asphalt construction industry and sometimes I meet my guys on the jobsite and when I park my truck, I would like to be able to shut my truck off and still run the strobes. My 90 watt tubes i have now, I couldnt run them for very long without killing the battery, so the LED's would be nice for that reason also.

Pros and cons of each I guess!

If I could find some that are really bright, I would be on board all the way and replace my tubes!

7. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

8. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

Try sirennet.com seemed to be best prices and shows videos of all products. Im going with the whelens hideaways. They also sell some type of mount that hold these same lights on the surface to make them surface mounts. Seem to be bright from all angles with the half sphere shape.