1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the best tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by apalermo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. apalermo

apalermo Member

thanks for the previous help,now which tires,the duellers which are a mud terrain tire or the michellin ltx which are a all terrain tire? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Michelin LTX.
  3. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Hey Bolts,

I just got set of the new Kelly MTR's? (I think). Anyway theyare a fairly agressive tread and they seem to fairly quiet on road travel. A lot cheaper than BFG
  4. apalermo

apalermo Member

dueller or ltz michellin
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the duellers, michellin tires seem to have a really hard rubber compound and last a long time but dont get the traction they should. just my opinion..
  6. intlco

intlco Senior Member

If you want Michelin, I would go the XPS Traction. They work the best but are a little spendy.
    I put them on my duallys and their a great tire for a 215 or 235 application.

Otherwise go the BFG Comm Traction if you wanna save some dough. I got them too and they are great plowing tires.
  7. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Yep thats what i found out with them too :nod:
  8. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

In the past I've tried Dunlop "Radial Rover RT's" and they were good tires. Next I had Goodyear "ATS's" and they sucked. I am running Pro Comp's "All Terrain" that are severe weather rated and they are the best ones so far, especially on ice where they are simply amazing! They are sipped like crazy and Pro Comps go on sale once in a while for buy 3 get 1 free.
  9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i owend a set of those ltx and would never own again. worst tire i ever used. especially in snow.
  10. caz1

caz1 Member

i'm in the tire biz fulltime for right now i've heard all good stuff about the bridgestone dueler at revo for plowing seems like everbody loves them some of the guys have 15 years exp and say that its the best tire they ran :drinkup:
  11. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Hey caz1, I've heard for snow you want a narrow tire with a tight tread pattern like an all terrain and for mud you want a wide tire with an open aggressive tread. Any truth to that?
  12. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

I am running a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T's. They have a good tread pattern. No problems so far
  13. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

I just got some hankook mt's for my dually, I got the 235's, and spent $103/tire. I plowed some last week with them and I was impressed, only 1000# ballast, and never needed 4x4 and that was with 80psi in em.
  14. BFG Commercial T/A traction tires, they're so damn good for the snow that there is a national back order on them right now. Its a hidden secret because all the Municipalities buy them up every fall. If you can find a set, get em....
  15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Just Say No to Michelin Ltx

The Michelin's came with my Ram, I put 20k on them in a year and rotated them 3 times. One tire blew out, another is about too, and there is only about 6 mm of tread left. Even with being new last winter I still did not have good traction. The tires just suck, don't waste your money on them. Get Cooper Discover M+S. Under $200, load E, tons of traction.
  16. DropPlow

DropPlow Junior Member

I agree w/PSD & Grn Mtn regarding the Michelins. It's quite entertaining in snow, you never know where you'll end up! Wouldn't wish them on an enemy.

Cooper Discover M&S- great traction- poor treadwear. I didn't get two winter seasons out of them- but I rode 'em all summer. If I'd have used them in cold months only, I would think I'd have gotten through 3 seasons.

Goin' w/BFG Commercial T/A tractions next, I think.

17. caz1

caz1 Member

yes there is truth to that. A narrow tire will not float in on the snow like a wide tire will so you get better contact with the ground. A wide tire is better in the mud because you float more were if you had a narrow tire you would sink more in the mud right now i run a 31x10.50r15 bfg ko on my truck love the tires in the snow but i also have them siped you can run a wider tire in the snow but i would have them siped for better traction :salute:
  18. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member