1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kmamark2000, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kmamark2000

kmamark2000 Senior Member

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 and I want to know what are the best tires for snow plowing? I am looking to get new tires in a week or two. Possibly up to $1,000. What do you recommend?
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The "best tire for plowing" thread police are gonna come and arrest ya.
  3. kmamark2000

ummm.. WHAT??????????
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have the best luck with Hancook with studs I run them on every truck I have during winter time
  5. kmamark2000

Thanks.. Which style? I did a search and found several styles.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

you had to ask
    Its the roughest tire I know I cant think the model they are at the shop Im home you have wait till tomorrow then I could tell you
  7. beano

beano Member

Bridgestone Duler A/T Revo's
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The "Best for snow plowing" the best for traction on snow non studded is the Bridgestone Blizzak.

they dont wear well on dry roads but they will out perform any non studded snow tire (except maybe the ones with walnut shells in them. I havent used those or seen a test report comparing them)

go to tirerack tot com and see what they have to say.

its more than syping its also the rubber used in the blizak that helps traction.
  10. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I also run Blizzak tires. Specifically, the W965 load range E. Got them at TireRack and had them mounted on a seperate set of rims and switch them out when it snows or I arrive up north for an event. Until then though, I run Michelin LTX MS2 and honestly, they are very good in snow as well. They have a lot of syping like the W965 which helps with grip but the W965 has a much softer tread compound that is designed for the snow.

So far, I have zero complaints about either of these tires in snow but think the edge goes to the Blizzak. You can pick up an extra set of wheels off Craigslist in your area and have them ready to go when you need them. I do not recommend running them for extended periods on dry as they will wear out very quickly.
  11. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I am trying the Goodyear Duratracs this year highest rated on tirerack.com and highly recommended on here.
  12. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I've been running those tires for 4years and this year I got the revo 2's. They are quieter and still grip in all conditions. They are a great all terrain all weather tire. I run them on my 04 2500 HD(load E), 2001 suburban(passenger rating) and 2011 avalanche(load E).They really give great traction all the way down to no tread.

If you're looking for strictly a snow tire, you can't beat the blizzacks. I run those on my cars (87 olds and 05 cobalt) they are the best winter tire I can find and they are priced right.
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2, I just put them on both trucks again, I run them year round and getting about 40k out them.

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

15. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i have heard a lot of goosd things about nokian... i had a friend that got recomended them through someone at rally america, the USA rally team, and i would imagine they know a thing or two about traction..... this was however for a car, and though it's not 100% transferable, if a company knows traction, then that's what they know.. for the money, i think blizzak and nokian have the "snow tire" market on lock down.. as for their wear and load ranges, im not so familiar..
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What about the round tubeless pneumatic part?
  17. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

I bought Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires this time. Heard good things about them and like the tread pattern. Time will tell.

18. Druski

Druski Junior Member

X3 - Second Winter on these now - and I got to say - I find the Goodyear Duratrac's are incredible!
  19. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

BFG All Terrains
  20. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, absolutely. The round tubeless pneumatic are always best. I ran solid indoor fork lift tires one season... not so good. Traction wasn't great, and they rode bad too.